FPV: How to use Nexus 7 as Ground Station Monitor

Jamin

Is I'm looking around for a cheap monitor to use for my ground station I am wondering if there is a way to use a Nexus 7 that I already have laying around the house. So far what I have is the simple FPV set recommended by the show from HK. Any Ideas?

IceWind

It is possible indeed but not easy.
I've actually made it and I'm working now on the code to be able to record/save the video.

Putting it simple you'd need to use a USB capture device.
The hard part is that you need to root/unlock the Nexus 7, compile the required kernel modules for the particular device and make
an application that later will talk and use the capture device.

Soon I'll be sharing some more detailed information in my page.

mundsen

It is possible indeed but not easy.
I've actually made it and I'm working now on the code to be able to record/save the video.

Putting it simple you'd need to use a USB capture device.
The hard part is that you need to root/unlock the Nexus 7, compile the required kernel modules for the particular device and make
an application that later will talk and use the capture device.

Soon I'll be sharing some more detailed information in my page.

Hi, IceWind
I have been looking for a way to use my Nexus 7 as a FPV monitor ++ What is the URL to your page?
I´m wery interested in info on how you did it, if you are willing to share some info??

Best
Oyvind

if this is possible i would be very very VERY interested indeed.. providing it wont ruin it or anything.. dont particularly rip my Nexus open.. :/

IceWind

Hi, IceWind
I have been looking for a way to use my Nexus 7 as a FPV monitor ++ What is the URL to your page?
I´m wery interested in info on how you did it, if you are willing to share some info??

Best
Oyvind

At the moment I haven't starting posting the details there, been lazy and also been testing/making some other gear for FPV. :)
But I can start posting the details there, it will be here: http://www.xrotor.net

@Nonamerc, not sure if that would do because of the bit rate needed. Usually audio would have a much lower rate than the minimal required to have video working at a decent speed.
But it may be something worth trying.

Last edited: