FPV Issues (less then 1 meter range)

JamesonOKC

I am working on setting up FPV for my Durafly Tundra. I will link below the transmitter and receiver I am using. I am using a mobius as the camera and I can get the signal to come through but as soon as I move more than 1-2 feet away from the transmitter the video goes to static. Has anyone ever ran into this problem? Thanks!

I have tried on 25mw 200mw and 600mw and all different frequencies with no luck.

I have also used the standard antenna that came with the TX and RX and a set or circularized polar antenna with the same results

I also disconnected the audio wire from the TX and my range is a little longer but still less than 10ft.

I changed my mobius to output in PAL instead of NTSC and I got much better range for a few minutes now it is back to garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC5MNTF/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJLQL3N/?tag=lstir-20

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I am working on setting up FPV for my Durafly Tundra. I will link below the transmitter and receiver I am using. I am using a mobius as the camera and I can get the signal to come through but as soon as I move more than 1-2 feet away from the transmitter the video goes to static. Has anyone ever ran into this problem? Thanks!

I have tried on 25mw 200mw and 600mw and all different frequencies with no luck.

I have also used the standard antenna that came with the TX and RX and a set or circularized polar antenna with the same results

I also disconnected the audio wire from the TX and my range is a little longer but still less than 10ft.

I changed my mobius to output in PAL instead of NTSC and I got much better range for a few minutes now it is back to garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC5MNTF/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJLQL3N/?tag=lstir-20

Might be your receiver; have you tested with other FPV broadcasts? That is, do you know of anyone else who's flying FPV and what their broadcast is? If so, you can try and pick up on their connection, see if it is indeed the receiver.

JamesonOKC

I will try that. I will have to look for someone else that has a VTX. Also is it normal for VTX to get scorching hot. My VTX gets too hot to touch.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
This transmitter fits RP-SMA antennas.

It is possible for other formats to fit the threads but not properly connect, effectively limiting your range to a few meters at best.

Other than the antenna that came with it, what type of polarized antenna are you using? Got a link?

sprzout

Mentor

It is possible for other formats to fit the threads but not properly connect, effectively limiting your range to a few meters at best.

Other than the antenna that came with it, what type of polarized antenna are you using? Got a link?

Didn't even think of that...If it's an RP-SMA antenna but you're connecting an SMA antenna, you may not be getting anything coming in. That could also cause your VTX to get hot, and if it's been getting scorching hot on a regular basis, it could have become damaged.

JamesonOKC

You guys are amazing! That was the problem with the VRX. It was SMA connector and I was using an RP-SMA antenna. I am using an adapter now and the signal is great. Thank you so much for your insight!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
You guys are amazing! That was the problem with the VRX. It was SMA connector and I was using an RP-SMA antenna. I am using an adapter now and the signal is great. Thank you so much for your insight!

Any time. Welcome to FliteTest!

One more thing. Use the lowest amount of power that you can. More power does not always mean better reception. The lowest power setting may also run your VTX cooler and give it a longer life.

Start low and work up if and when you need the power.

EDIT: for accuracy

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Any time. Welcome to FliteTest!

One more thing. In the USA the use of a VTX at 5.8ghz with more power than 25mW requires a HAM technical to be legal.

This is a common misconception around the hobby, the HAM ticket is required to use any equipment that isn't licensed by the FCC regardless of power output. Either the equipment or the operator must be licensed. The chances of actually getting in trouble are very slim unless you're blasting a bunch of power and causing interference, but the chance is there.

sprzout

Mentor
This is a common misconception around the hobby, the HAM ticket is required to use any equipment that isn't licensed by the FCC regardless of power output. Either the equipment or the operator must be licensed. The chances of actually getting in trouble are very slim unless you're blasting a bunch of power and causing interference, but the chance is there.

Just going to say the same thing. If you look at the Inductrix Pro, which uses a 25mW VTX, it specifically states that it needs a HAM radio license to operate. Do a lot of people ignore this? Yep, just like they ignore registering drones and when/where they can fly them.

Now, you CAN fly using a camera/FPV WITHOUT having a HAM license, but only if the transmitter is registered with the FCC. To date, I believe the only ones that are FCC registered are the ones that come in the DJI line of products. Those typically are more photography drones, rather than racing or freestyle drones. Think of it like a UPS truck vs. a race car - that UPS truck may be slower and bigger than the race car, but it has room to haul a bunch of items in it, whereas the race car can go really fast but only really transports one person...

The good news is it's not hard to get a HAM license, and it's good for 10 years

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The DJI family doesn't broadcast analog signals, they use digital spread spectrum similar to the way our control links work. There are a couple of analog FCC certified VTx's available (one from Immersion/Fatshark and one from Spektrum which is a rebranded Immersion) and they could only get licensed with about 8mW - basically useless.

cranialrectosis

Mentor

Thank you for the correction ElecriSean. That's a rumor that needs squashing. My post has been corrected.

Last edited:

flyfree

In addition to getting a HAM license (Technician is enough, and it's not hard) the OP should be sure and switch back to NTSC. PAL is also not permitted in the US.