FPV Noob

chronix

Ok really an everything noob. Need some help.

What am I missing for a just fly the thing fpv setup?

I see the cam is out of stock, np.
Screenshot_20200609-210220.jpg

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The immortal T is an antenna for the Crossfire long range RC link, not for an FPV system. You want an omnidirectional antenna for 5.8GHz like the TBS Triumph. You also don't need the pigtail, just make sure the antenna you get matches the VTx (SMA or RP-SMA). If you can get that VTx with an SMA connector you'll be better off, it's far more common.

The picture is kind of misleading, but that monitor is just a monitor, not goggles. Flying with just a monitor is terrible... Someone will probably recommend a set of Eachine goggles, I'm not sure which ones are good ;) Anything is better than just a monitor though.

Excellent viewing:

Last edited:

chronix

Ok cool I was thinking it'd be nice to have the pigtail in case it's awkward to mount the antenna with whatever lead it comes with.

I'll look for a different antenna and some goggles as well.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@chronix I was an absolute noob in FPV a while ago, but when I decided I wanted to get into it, I basically watched every single FliteTest video on the subject and I now have a decent understanding of what I need to buy and what is compatible with what. Also @The Hangar thanks for the goggles suggestion! I've been contemplating whether it'd be worth getting the fatshark recons, and if the $49 ones are decent and have diversity, etc. then I think I'll go with those.
They work really well. I haven't had any range issues. My one "complaint" is that they are white on the inside and let a little light in, so it's more like you're looking at a screen close up. I've never used a nice Fatshark set of goggles, but I assume it feels more like you're in the drone/plane. Anyways it's not a big deal, and I don't even think about it while I'm flying - it just feels like I'm in the drone!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
They work really well. I haven't had any range issues. My one "complaint" is that they are white on the inside and let a little light in, so it's more like you're looking at a screen close up. I've never used a nice Fatshark set of goggles, but I assume it feels more like you're in the drone/plane. Anyways it's not a big deal, and I don't even think about it while I'm flying - it just feels like I'm in the drone!

The Fatsharks are really nice, but some people have an issue with using them because they're separate screens. Several of the guys at my field have tried them and didn't like them, but liked the box style goggles instead, especially since they wear glasses. Me, I love the Fatsharks because they're lighter (and easier on the pocketbook), but it's all about what works for you specifically.

I know within the FPV world, everyone's all over the DJI goggles, but they're ridiculously expensive and require their own special camera and transmitters. At $800 for two transmitters, cameras, and goggles, that's well out of my price range. They have great resolution, but I just can't justify that, especially when it means switching everything over to a new system because they're not compatible with the current 5.8Ghz systems.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Life will be much easier if all of your airborne FPV equipment can run on the same voltage

chronix

What's the resolution of the run cam? Those numbers mean nothing to me. I'm used to computers and TV's

Life will be much easier if all of your airborne FPV equipment can run on the same voltage

It seems everything could run on the same voltage FPV wise.