FPV Raptor?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm strongly considering getting a Raptor. I find it hard to justify getting a Bix2 when I've got a perfectly good Bix1. I don't think my Bix can handle a big enough battery to get the flight times I'm after. The Raptor seems to be a good option that people commonly use 4000-5000mAh batteries in and get close to an hour of flight.

The stock motor (PNF) is a 2812 1400kv job, which from what I can tell is up for the task. I've heard the stock ESC is rubbish, but I was going to swap it out for an OPTO and UBEC anyway to power all the extra bits. The Raptor seems like better value for money over the Bix2, as it's cheaper delivered, comes with more stuff, is bigger and has more room for gear, while sporting flaps and a lower kv motor.

Are there many FTers out there with one? Any tips/mods on this beast?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
ok don't tell anyone I said this, but the Raptor is not going to work for me. I'm making a video about the problem right now. It is a great plane, but it is NOT for lifting heavy payloads, and is not super efficient in the air. I would suggest going with the Bixler 2 if or super skysurfer(I got to see one fly, it was awesome!)

Nonamerc

Arman
@Lobstermash and @Carbon get yourself a Skywalker the Skywalker can handle allot of payload right now we fly with a 4 cell 5000 mAh 2200 mAh battery for the FPV gear and a 1500 mAh battery to get the CG right LOL. I think that the skywalker is capable of two 5000 mAh batteries. The skywalker is super stable and is perfect for long duration/distance flights. We get about 40 minutes of flying with the skywalker without paying attention to throttle usage. (This is with a 5000 mAh 4 cell)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, the Skywalker is pretty impressive (as is the EPP FPV and Super Skysurfer). I'm put off these purely because they all run on 4s, and all my batteries are 4s.

@Carbon, at what payload is the issue popping up? From what I've been able to gather from research is that with a 2200 and FPV gear, the AUW is about 1000-1050g (sorry to talk in metric, but it's the only language I know;). A couple of setups I've seen have varied between 2x2200s, a 3000 or a 2200 for the flight and 1000 for the FPV gear. All of these were great, if a little fast on landing without flaps for the heaviest (2x2200s), but were able to take off from grass and float around OK (if a little faster than a Bix).

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I vote for an EPP FPV - Huge, rugged plane that can take abuse and payload! I think it's better suited for your needs.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
@lobster- I was testing a payload that was actually less than my final search and rescue payload. The stall speed was very, very high. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I will be required to take off and land in a small area and the plane was horribly unstable when it slowed down. I had 2 2200mah batteries and a GoPro on it, and the CG was perfect, yet it was super unstable.
@colorex- have you ever owned an EPP FPV?

Nonamerc

Arman
I dont recommend the EPP FPV yes I dont own a EPP FPV but I have heard allot of stories about the EPP FPV that it is very bad quality. It could be that the EPP FPV is not a bad plane after all because you never know if you only see the negative comments. It's a gamble....

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
From what I've seen of the EPP FPV, it's a great plane but because EPP is so draggy, the max endurance is stuck at around 30-40 minutes, no matter what mAh you're carrying. I've also seen the comments that Arman refers to, and perhaps there is something to it - it's an in-house designed plane, and there's always variable quality between individual planes designed internally by HK.

@Carbon, did you weigh the fully loaded plane? In my head I'm thinking that 2x2200s and a gopro is about 500g plus a fair bit of drag from the GoPro. Also, any difference with the flaps down?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
yeah, I crashed when I deployed the flaps. It slowed down and then became super unstable and caused me to go into a crazy downward spin. Normal stalls you can recover from with 200ft but not this time...

Carbon

Elemental Madness
if lobster is correct, 30-40 isn't going to cut it. I really need something around 45-50 min with a payload.

Nonamerc

Arman
Do you have pics of the plane? It's not really a smart idea to stall test the flaps in mid-air. Flaps are used for large gliders which are hard to slow down. A plane like the raptor does not really need flaps. Compare it to you driving a bicycle, if you slow down to much you will fall of your bike. It's the same with planes! Planes like the skywalker and the EPP-FPV have the wings on top of the fuselage, because of this they can carry allot more weight then a plane such as the bixler or the raptor... Planes like the c-130 also have the wings on top of the fuselage. What you basically will need is a plane with the wings ontop of the fuselage, large wings. Low KV motor big prop.... Most planes that can carry allot of weight are slow because it's more effecient.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Here is the thing, I need to land in a small area. Therefore I need a plane that has a slow stall speed with weight. My bixler is perfect, except it can't lift a 5000mah battery and a camera. When I load it up with a 2200mah battery and a GoPro it flies just as I imagine.

I actually was using the flaps as airbrakes. In that last clip I was "landing" in the approximate area I would have for a Search and rescue situation. So I was slowing it down . I thought that when a plane stalled it would drop, gain airspeed, and then you can pull out. This thing goes into a crazy uncontrolled dive.

Hi Carbon

I use the Raptor as my main FPV platform. It's affordable, durable and has a huge payload capacity. I agree it does need a fair bit of room to put down. I think this is an inherent problem with increasing payloads.

Looking at your video I would check your CG. I found with my Raptor I need a lot of weight in the front. This is a good thing as you can carry more gear. Also make sure it's secure.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Jason

Nonamerc

Arman
Yes you used the flaps as airbrakes but you used them to soon. Just like the C130 movie they used the rocket pods to early. Flaps are tricky but if you use them right you can land the plane in a small space. Planes that are operating on max weight often stall much faster. I have the same problem with my bixler!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Nonamerc, you need to understand that I was purposefully high up. I was pretending to "land in the air". It is hard to explain I guess.