FPV/RC plane

luke1350a

Hey i just got an rc plane and I want to take good quality videos with it. I don't need the a live feed. any good cameras out there? all the ones i could find are really low quality video and/or are just the camera lens.
thanks

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Technically the live feed is FPV, you just want to shoot aerial videos.

I use a Foxeer Legend and a Xiomi Yi. Tons of people use a GoPro. There are lots of options throughout the price range.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Runcam used to ( I don't know if they still do) make an action camera, if you watch old ft videos you can see it quite often (e.g. the first pun jet video).

evranch

If you don't want to spring for a GoPro, SJCAM are pretty commonly used for FPV recording. SJ4000 is a common economy action cam that often is rebranded and put into different housings. I'm pretty sure mine is fake though, so be careful!

If you decide to get goggles and fly FPV later on, none of these action cameras will make a good flight camera, they are too laggy. You will need to add one of those tiny, low resolution ones to fly with.

luke1350a

If you don't want to spring for a GoPro, SJCAM are pretty commonly used for FPV recording. SJ4000 is a common economy action cam that often is rebranded and put into different housings. I'm pretty sure mine is fake though, so be careful!

If you decide to get goggles and fly FPV later on, none of these action cameras will make a good flight camera, they are too laggy. You will need to add one of those tiny, low resolution ones to fly with.
thanks I have one of those and it is kind of big for the plane I am flying, thanks for the suggestion tho

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Looks good to me as long as it ticks all your criterial boxes, that's what FT uses for their fpv needs these days (See the simple scout release video or the three person fpv plane, both for fpv and hd recording.).

FDS

Elite member
I use an $8 SQ11 digital camera, it’s tiny and light, plus shoots 720/60 and can easily be mounted to your plane with a rubber band or two. Battery life is it’s only downside, it’s about 30 mins.
Here it is on my Tiny Trainer
FE42BF78-68D7-46CC-9344-C9A329447AD5.jpeg

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The runcam split mini 2 is nice but the ribbon cable is really fragile, foxeer is coming out with a similar camera soon that has a stronger cable so maybe it would be a good choice.

The runcam 2 is still being made, it is a keychain camera that should work well but you cant use it for fpv because of the latency but you can power it directly from the plane which is nice.
I wish they still did the old runcam HD, it works nice enough and mine is pretty much indestructible.

jross

I use an $8 SQ11 digital camera, it’s tiny and light, plus shoots 720/60 and can easily be mounted to your plane with a rubber band or two. Battery life is it’s only downside, it’s about 30 mins.

Love your plane balancer. Took me a bit to realize those are pencils. Great idea and simple design.

luke1350a

Here it is on my Tiny Trainer
View attachment 121797
hey thanks looks like my best bet, can you send me a video you recorded with it?

FDS

Elite member
I will be putting one up in my Tiny Trainer post this week some time, I will link it here.
The instructions for the SQ11 are very poor, look at YouTube videos on how to use it. I have occasional problems turning it on, which results in me not getting any footage, but for under $10 I can’t complain.