FPV resolution/mega crash

2jujube7

Hi guys. I'm kinda a newbie to fpv, and I just got my second camera yesterday and did my first flights with it on. The camera is 1200TVL, but the resolution that I'm recording and watching from my ground station is 640x480. I'm kinda confused, do I need a DVR in the plane to get the good resolution?

Another thing that I'm having trouble with is the signal from my Tx (the one controlling the plane, not the FPV) dropping. I have a TGY-i6 that is rated to 600m or so, but it cuts out occasionally when I'm only 100m or so away. (on a clear, perfect day) Most times it is only one or two seconds, but I had my plane's control signal drop today and my FT Arrow flew into a tree. (I was recording the fpv and it looks pretty sweet :D) Is my FPV signal interfering with my control signal? This is the first time I've had this problem over a couple months of RC flying this summer, and I sure don't like it.

Thanks for putting up with my noobish questions :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
TVL is marketing hype. NTSC is 640x480, so just because the image sensor has more lines doesn't mean the signal the camera outputs has more.

LB

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hi guys. I'm kinda a newbie to fpv, and I just got my second camera yesterday and did my first flights with it on. The camera is 1200TVL, but the resolution that I'm recording and watching from my ground station is 640x480. I'm kinda confused, do I need a DVR in the plane to get the good resolution?

Another thing that I'm having trouble with is the signal from my Tx (the one controlling the plane, not the FPV) dropping. I have a TGY-i6 that is rated to 600m or so, but it cuts out occasionally when I'm only 100m or so away. (on a clear, perfect day) Most times it is only one or two seconds, but I had my plane's control signal drop today and my FT Arrow flew into a tree. (I was recording the fpv and it looks pretty sweet :D) Is my FPV signal interfering with my control signal? This is the first time I've had this problem over a couple months of RC flying this summer, and I sure don't like it.

Thanks for putting up with my noobish questions :D
If you have a 640x480 ground station you're not gonna get more resolution no matter what you do.(n):cry: You'll either need to get a higher res screen, or change the camera settings so it just looks nicer.

As for your control link, probably not. FPV is usually at 5.8ghz and our control links are at 2.4ghz. Make sure your receiver antennas are out of the way of any high current wires and broadcasting antennas to be safe.

Is the arrow okay? If so, get flyin!

2jujube7

If you have a 640x480 ground station you're not gonna get more resolution no matter what you do.(n):cry: You'll either need to get a higher res screen, or change the camera settings so it just looks nicer.

As for your control link, probably not. FPV is usually at 5.8ghz and our control links are at 2.4ghz. Make sure your receiver antennas are out of the way of any high current wires and broadcasting antennas to be safe.

Is the arrow okay? If so, get flyin!
I'm currently using a skydroid single antenna receiver connected to my school Chromebook, which I believe has a 2256 by 1504 screen. My monitor is not the problem :(

Oh shoot, I just realized that my receiver can only do 640x480. Oh well, that's what I get for a cheap $30 one :D

Thanks for answering me about the FPV vs control link bleedover, but now I have to check all of the connections in my plane :D :cry:

And yes, it is (somewhat) functional!

Thanks
Jude

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Litterbug has it spot on... if your running analog, your limited to the analog signal's resolution (NTSC is 640x480 and PAL is 720 x 576 - but I believe most stuff is NTSC) if your DVRing on the receiver side. if you want HD recording, your options are on board recording (with appropriate equipment) or DJI's digital googles/TX setup (and on board can still be better then that).

JasonK

now, if you were to build your own VTX design, your own video encoding scheme, your own VRX design/etc, you could run analog at a higher quality then that. But if you were going to design your own, I would suggest looking at digital, as that can have compression ran on the data stream before sending it, allowing higher visual image quality for the same signal bandwidth, but it comes with a whole host of things to be dealt with.

One solution I could see someone do (if they can deal with the rather limited range), would be to use wifi... but that would still require more equipment then just on board recording.

2jujube7

Litterbug has it spot on... if your running analog, your limited to the analog signal's resolution (NTSC is 640x480 and PAL is 720 x 576 - but I believe most stuff is NTSC) if your DVRing on the receiver side. If you want HD recording, your options are on board recording (with appropriate equipment) or DJI's digital googles/TX setup (and on board can still be better then that).

Sweet, this is exactly what I was asking. Thanks! :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The biggest problem with digital is the latency involved in compressing and uncompressing the data. NTSC and PAL only have a 3mhz signal capacity and do not use any compression so all your pixels, color and intensity data has to fit in that tiny pipe. The data is transmitted as it leaves the camera with no delay. If you want to add more pixels, that's more data. In order to fit it through the same pipe, you will need to compress it. That takes time. Uncompressing it on the other side takes time. That time is latency. Cameras can also introduce latency depending on how they process the pixels from the sensor and turn them into a NTSC/PAL signal.

LB

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Even with a high TVL rating on the camera, the output signal is still NTSC/PAL resolution. That is where the newer generation HD cameras with built in DVR come in to play. They record in HD, but output a NTSC/PAL signal to pipe through the analog TX/RX to your goggles.

LB

JasonK

LitterBug - you could also widen the pipe... but outside of stuff like FPV flying eating up all that bandwidth isn't great (DJI's digital system uses more bandwidth then the 3Mhz that analog does, but it gets more 'visual' quality through then the increase in bandwidth along because of compression).

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Ive been toying with improving range on my spektrum 2.4 stuff with some success but if you want reliable longer range its best to go with UHF. I use Dragon link myself...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LitterBug - you could also widen the pipe... but outside of stuff like FPV flying eating up all that bandwidth isn't great (DJI's digital system uses more bandwidth then the 3Mhz that analog does, but it gets more 'visual' quality through then the increase in bandwidth along because of compression).
Right, but not with "stock" TX and RX gear.

Flyer Sean

My guess on the control link dropping is really bad antenna placement or a damaged antenna on the RX. There is an open source digital fpv setup using wifi in injection mode. Range and latencey are pretty good. it uses a pi and some wifi dongles for hardware. DJI of course has the current benchmark on digital FPV. Amowy is coming out with a digital system soon. Its probably not going to be as good as DJI but its much less expensive.
https://github.com/rodizio1/EZ-Wifi...tware this,and control data between endpoints.
http://www.aomway.com/en/product/nexus-v2-full-hd-1080p-digital-video-downlink/