FPV Signal Dropping

Obtusemoose

Hey all,
I have been having an issue with my fpv video dropping. I have a ts5823 transmitter and a rc832 receiver. I've spent the last couple months tinkering with them to try and get constant signal and nothing has changed. I can fly 50ft away before signal is intermittently dropped. I'd expect 5.8ghz 200mw to do better than that. It's often only dropped for a second but by then I could be in the trees. I've played around with different channels with no luck. Any suggestions? :confused:Is my transmitter toast?

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I had that problem while using a slightly wrong frequency a while ago.
But back then I had a crappy rx that used dip switches to change channels.
Walk a fair distance away from the tx and switch frequencies until you find one that works ok.

Obtusemoose

Update

I had that problem while using a slightly wrong frequency a while ago.
But back then I had a crappy rx that used dip switches to change channels.
Walk a fair distance away from the tx and switch frequencies until you find one that works ok.

I just tried all the different frequencies. From 5.645 to 5.925 GHz nothing has changed. I did some research and some people said the problem could be my monitor. I am using a Quanum DIY goggle set. Could this be the issue?
Some images...
Goggles
Drone
Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:

Fyathyrio

Presuming that Tx & Rx are working correctly, and they appear to be since a signal is transmitted and received, the most likely candidate is antennas. As asked earlier...what antennas are you using?

I see the one in your drone pic, that is a crappy antenna at best, and if the SWR is off by as much as others I've tested, it can potentially burn up your transmitter. That is also a circularly polarized antenna, is it right or left? What is on your receiver?

For cheap antennas, it's hard to beat these from Aomway. Just make sure you get the correct end for your connectors.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I am using the quanum diy v1 too and never had a problem with it, sometimes I have to unplug/replug the video cable or it won't display video but most of the time it works fine.

Obtusemoose

Presuming that Tx & Rx are working correctly, and they appear to be since a signal is transmitted and received, the most likely candidate is antennas. As asked earlier...what antennas are you using?

I see the one in your drone pic, that is a crappy antenna at best, and if the SWR is off by as much as others I've tested, it can potentially burn up your transmitter. That is also a circularly polarized antenna, is it right or left? What is on your receiver?

For cheap antennas, it's hard to beat these from Aomway. Just make sure you get the correct end for your connectors.

They are cheap antennas but they are both right hand polarized. I have this pair on my tx and rx right now with rp-sma plugs. If my transmitter was burnt out wouldn't I never have signal? I'll likely buy the antennas you suggested as they are the correct connector.
Thanks for all the help

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Are you positive your transmitter and goggles are both rp-sma? An SMA jack and RP-SMA plug will lead to really bad signal strength, since neither have a pin in the middle. Be sure to check both.

Obtusemoose

Are you positive your transmitter and goggles are both rp-sma? An SMA jack and RP-SMA plug will lead to really bad signal strength, since neither have a pin in the middle. Be sure to check both.

I just double checked and that isn't the issue. My signal isn't super bad it just drops at short distance exactly like Fluburtur's previous video had shown.:(