FPV steerable rocket.

tsteege

Hey guys, first of all thank you so much for all you do for the hobby. Your efforts really make a difference.

I loved the rocket plane and steerable bomb drop episodes, how about you combine them and add FPV. I know if anyone can make it work, David and the rest of you can.

Again keep up the great work.

Terry

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Personally, once everything on my dad's farm has been harvested I plan on building a Star Wars X-Wing plane (I have an article about it) and launching it like a rocket with a model rocket engine. I'm going to put a small camera on it. It's not what you're suggesting. But hey, hopefully I'll get some more rocket engine action on the scene.

tsteege

That would be awesome. I would love to see that video!

Are you a Star Wars fan? The reason I ask is, it is my obsession.

Capture.JPG

vk2dxn

I don't know about US laws but a fpv controllable rocket treads heavily on legality issues here in Australia. Btw tsteege that is one awesome collection.

What's the longest time you can get out of a rocket "burn" these days? I was thinking that it would all be over by the time you adjust your FPV glasses?

rcspaceflight

What's the longest time you can get out of a rocket "burn" these days? I was thinking that it would all be over by the time you adjust your FPV glasses?

Rocket engines don't last for very long. The novelty of it actually wears off quickly and it's quickly realized that it's not worth the money of the rocket engines. If you want a way to get a glider up in the air, a bungee system is a lot better and cheaper.

I still plan on launching an X-wing as soon as everything is harvested. But I already have all of the rocket supplies including two rocket engines. So I'd just be using stuff I have, not spending more money. Except building the X-wing, but that is just two sheets of dollar tree foam.

Last edited:
Rocket engines don't last for very long. The novelty of it actually wears off quickly and it's quickly realized that it's not worth the money of the rocket engines. If you want a way to get a glider up in the air, a bungee system is a lot better and cheaper.

After watching the Flite Test video with the gas cannister/afterburner, it made me wonder if that's the way to go instead of solid (?) fuel (I guess there's a huge difference in thrust). I don't know whether that was editing, or whether they were getting a long flight.

I guess if you were doing FPV, you would need some kind of telemetry to indicate pitch etc. otherwise it would be hard to judge if you are verticle.

rcspaceflight

It's possible to put rocket boosters onto a plane. I know I've seen a few YouTube videos of people doing that. Just a regular plane with a rocket engine that can be fired during the flight. That'll probably be better if you're looking for FPV. Then you could fly up at a steep angle and hit the booster. Maybe even a glider with a folding prop so you could boost up to a good height and then coast around.