FPV system for people with glasses question

BlackSheep1

Hello anyone,
I have been watching all of the shows that has people using goggles to be able to fly fpv. But I also started to wonder if there was a system for a person that had to wear bifocal glasses? And still have the same experience as someone that does not have to wear them.
Any thing you can tell me would be fine.
Thanks

trevoof

Since the screen and lens is fixed relative to the eye during use, I would guess there is no need to switch between the two types of corrections, so you just need to figure out whether one of them is limiting.

I would guess the main limiting issue to contend with during FPV should be hyperopia (far-sighted), where the image is too close for comfortable focusing. From my own limited research, it seems that that the lens adjustment for Quanum v2 and Headplay are insufficient, and the image will appear too close for sufferers of hyperopia. I don't suffer from hyperopia yet, so can't give you a personal verdict.

The other function of bifocals are to correct for myopia (short-sighteness) - which I do personally suffer from. I can report that I can quite comfortably make out the details of the screens in Quanum v1, Quanum v2 and Headplay even without without wearing glasses inside the goggles.

Have not tried fatsharks/skyzones, but have not heard many issues regarding focal lengths for them, so I'm guessing it gives sufficient adjustments for both myopia and hyperopia.

BlackSheep1

FPV System for people with glasses

Hello,
Thanks for the information. The troubles I think I may run into with a FPV Googles system is that I would not be able to read the on screen display. For the Glasses I wear help's me read even in this post I have to use the magnification part of my glasses just to be able to post it.
Thanks,

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The Beauty/Bane of FPV displays . . . it's all at the same focal length.

Positive side is the displays are too close even for those with crazy good eyesight, so there's strong magnification already just to extend the perceived focal length. Most of these come with stronger lenses, so it's *possible* it can be better matched to your brand of "I can't see", but that *ahem* remains to be seen.

Good or bad eyesight, I never recommend buying one of these rigs until you've tried one yourself -- there's just too much personal taste involved between watching a TV, being immersed in a tiny screen up close or watching two tiny screens in a single goggle . . . although the quantum beer-cooler-goggles are as close to "disposable" as you can get, so they're not the same risk of picking up Fatshark gear without a test drive.

Last edited:

BlackSheep1

Beer-Cooler-googles?

Positive side is the displays are too close even for those with crazy good eyesight, so there's strong magnification already just to extend the perceived focal length. Most of these come with stronger lenses, so it's *possible* it can be better matched to your brand of "I can't see", but that *ahem* remains to be seen.

Good or bad eyesight, I never recommend buying one of these rigs until you've tried one yourself -- there's just too much personal taste involved between watching a TV, being immersed in a tiny screen up close or watching two tiny screens in a single goggle . . . although the quantum beer-cooler-goggles are as close to "disposable" as you can get, so they're not the same risk of picking up Fatshark gear without a test drive.

CraftyDan,
You may be right about the beel-cooler-googles, that I checked on GetFpv. Just not sure how it would feel to wear something so large just to fly FPV? I also know your right about testing all of the systems for Fpv just don't know of anyone in my area? Or where I could even be able to fly. I am just trying to get as much information I can before I attempt it. with or without a trainer. And if there is any luck I may even try to get to a flitefest someday?
thanks for your input