FPV system has Blurry/pixelated video feed.

RCIkon

This is my first time FPV setup that I have done and I am not happy with the results with video quality. If someone out there could provide tips on what I should try to help improve my video quality that I am receiving to my goggles I would appreciate it greatly.

Hardware that I am working with:

• ImmersionRC – 600mW 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter with factory 5.8GHz antenna
  • LC Common Mode Power Filter
  • HeadPlay HD FPV Headset w/ 32ch 5.8 GHz Receiver built-in with factory 5.8GHz antenna
  • SONY SUPER HAD CCD 600TVL NTSC Camera with a 2.8mm Lens – Model: RunCam SKYPLUS-L28-R-N, Power: DC5-17v

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
What exactly does the video fee look like. A picture would be nice. FPV systems are usually analog and the video quality is not HD. Some small things you can do is to make sure your antennas are matching orientations; left hand vs right hand polarized. To help with blurriness you can try adjusting the cameras lens by turning it. Hope this helps.

RCIkon

Thanks for your response Snarls, I do not have a video or picture example for you as of right now. When you say matching orientation of the antennas, you mean angled to the left or right? I was also wondering if the camera lens could be adjusted. I will look further into that options as well.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
By orientation I mean the orientation of the lobes on a CP antenna, but now that I think of it if you are using stock antennas you are probably using a rubber ducky antenna. For those just make sure the antennas are parallel, but not in line (not pointing at eachother).

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
600 line Security camera (1/3" sensor) with questionable optics
Standard Definition Transmitter (640 x 480)
Standard Definition Receiver
Upscale to Headplay (1280x800)

Being that close to an HD display (720p) in your goggles when looking at an SD source is never going to look great.
We know that we can get really high quality tiny cameras from the cell phone industry.
We are getting better resolution goggles from Headplay and FatShark HD.
What is missing is the video transmission piece - we are stuck in Standard Definition.

There are a few very expensive HD solutions, but they suffer from lag and did I mention that they are expensive.
Hopefully the next break through will be in this area. Video compression and digital transmission are areas that are ripe for harvesting.
Until then we just have to put up with these crappy SD systems...... )c8

Best regards,
PCH

ZoomNBoom

without decent compression, digital fpv is a non starter, and video compression and low latency are no friends. Its not a matter of chip performance, AFAIK, the only way to get decent compression ratio's with a good quality is using multiple frames, and that means, waiting a few frames before sending the compressed data. To avoid that latency, you'd have to compress each frame with something like (m)jpeg, which could be close to zero latency, but would require tremendous bandwidth (and/or have really poor quality). So Im not holding my breath for zero latency digital FPV.

Analog should be more than doable however. It will require more bandwidth, but if nothing else, I see no reason why you could not effectively combine 4 SD channels to quadruple the resolution (double number of lines) to get ~720P quality. Not going to work in a race, but I wouldnt mind such a solution for private use.