FPV system help, getting into FPV

Bowerz

Hey guys!

so, i'm in the UK and looking to get some cheap and relatively light FPV gear.

I fly Spektrum 2.4 so i guess i would need a 5.8 or a 900 system just to stop to much signal masking. I'm not sure how far spektrum can go but i would like a camera, Tx and Rx system that will at least reach the range of my spektrum system then just within a boundry i shall scope out on google maps before the flight.

Kind of thinking about upgrading to a patch antenna in the future to get more range and maybe buy another control system just for FPV if i start getting into it then maybe upgrade so would like the system to be expandable.

I buy a fair amount from hobbyking so there would be good or any sources that post to UK otherwise. No monitor needed in this, i will plug it into a small netbook i have at the field which i have already made an anti glare system for at the field for when viewing on board videos.

so, bit of a long list there but i'm sure you guys will have something for me! Also obviously want the system as cheap as possible as always but dont wanna go so cheap i'll have issues or worse quality than i need

cheers guys!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
If you go on the website of HK you can easily find the section where all FPV systems are listed in different strength/poweroutputs and also in different frequencies.

Example:
Link to a 900MHz 100mW FPV System

I prefer going with a lower frequency because the theory behind it tells that you have more range.
Unfortunately it is just a theory which I haven´t proofed in real life, but it should be right that way. :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
As to the antennas, stay tuned, I think we're going to be getting some do it yourself tutorials for antenna making on the forum. I am very happy with the range I get with 200 mw 900 mHZ system I am using. I use a patch antenna, and I have the stock "rubber ducky" antenna on the vtx.

Spektrum, is said to have about a 1/2 mile range. So about 2500 feet.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
As to the antennas, stay tuned, I think we're going to be getting some do it yourself tutorials for antenna making on the forum. I am very happy with the range I get with 200 mw 900 mHZ system I am using. I use a patch antenna, and I have the stock "rubber ducky" antenna on the vtx.

Is your area noisy (RF speaking)?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D

I´m not completely sure, but I think I have to correct that.
Spektrum sells in Europe different versions which have a limited transmitter output. It is set to only 10mW and the normal US version is working at a 100mW I think! This might be cutting your range for quite a significant bit! So actually you´ll be reaching the end of your airplane control ability much earlier than you´ll loose your video signal.