• No she is to new and nice

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I'm really torn.

I have 2 perfectly good FPV planes #1 The VAS Wraith and #2 my Bixler 2.

IMG_1476.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg

The issue with the 2 vs the SkyMule is the SkyMule has landing gear.
Right now I'm thinking very much about winter flying and fpv. (I wonder why).

With the SkyMule on skis I could take off and fly FPV with my TX mitt on!

IMG_1272.jpg

My debate is simple.
I like this plane a lot, an absolute joy to fly in almost any conditions but I can see the FPV potential.

So have put in a vote and let me know what you think.

If I were to setup the Mule for FPV I'd be tempted to steal gear from both of the other FPV planes.

- LRS, RTH, OSD and the Pan/Tilt camera. These are more about flying safety then cool toys.

Andre.

Last edited:

Wearyman

Just dog tired
A couple of guys over on the FPVLAB forums have FPV'ed the sky mule. From what they were saying it's OK for FPV, but you need to change out the stock motors, props and ESC's for a more powerful setup. The twin 750 KV motors don't have the grunt to lift an FPV setup, resulting in an underpower situation that leads to easy stalls and poor wind penetration.

The airframe itself is very good for FPV, it just needs "moar powa".

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
A couple of guys over on the FPVLAB forums have FPV'ed the sky mule. From what they were saying it's OK for FPV, but you need to change out the stock motors, props and ESC's for a more powerful setup. The twin 750 KV motors don't have the grunt to lift an FPV setup, resulting in an underpower situation that leads to easy stalls and poor wind penetration.

The airframe itself is very good for FPV, it just needs "moar powa".

No worry about the power. My Mule is far from stock :)

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?12629-Andre-s-Durafly-SkyMule

35A ESC, 2830-11 1000KV motors with 10x4.5 props.
She jumps into the air ;)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I voted yes for one simple reason. You listed a few reasons as you why you should make it a FPV platform without listing a single reason why you should not.

I'm guessing that the reason why you should not do so is money. It looks like you commit a plane to FPV instead of swapping out the gear. Why not take one of your current FPV rigs and mount it to some wood and make some straps so you can easily change FPV planes without buying more gear. Plus you could fly the Sky Mule FPV, or take the gear out and fly it LOS.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I voted yes for one simple reason. You listed a few reasons as you why you should make it a FPV platform without listing a single reason why you should not.

I'm guessing that the reason why you should not do so is money. It looks like you commit a plane to FPV instead of swapping out the gear. Why not take one of your current FPV rigs and mount it to some wood and make some straps so you can easily change FPV planes without buying more gear. Plus you could fly the Sky Mule FPV, or take the gear out and fly it LOS.

I like the plane almost to much to do fpv.
I'm really tempted to fly the Mule over the winter. Get some miles on the air frame and see how I feel then.

Funny when you decide to FPV a plane you know you have to do things like cut holes and apply tape.
I'm not ready to do that yet to the Mule. Depsite me knowing it is simply a $100 plane and designed to do it.

I can barely bring myself to install kit no the wing of the Bixler.

Sigh. Silly problems.

A.

Wearyman

Just dog tired
Just an interesting note: I was just checking out the Sky Mule and I noticed that they now list the motors as 1100KV ones. Unless I'm remembering this wrong, it initially launched with 750 KV motors. The motors stuck in my head because they were the exact same motors that David Windestal used on several versions of his Tricopter design, and I remember thinking "Hey, I know those motors!". Interesting that they now come with 1100KV ones. Perhaps swapping the motors isn't necessary on the mule anymore. That's a nice upgrade.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Mine was a "kit" so I supplied my own motors, esc's and servos.

Yesterday I flew the Wraith.
It was fun but I killed 4 props on landing. Making some changes and ordered some folder props/spinners. $15 experiment.
I did remove the T1000 and moved it over to the Bixler2. I think the Wraith be more of a proximity flyer.

I also made a super simple FPV setup for my T-28. I had a 2nd canopy which I got at Flite Fest 2014.
So I rigged up a camera and just the TX. No OSD or something.
Everything can be removed very easily.
After I took out all my props on the Wraith yesterday I was kicking myself for not having any way to keep flying FPV.
Now I have an option.

On the SkyMule I suspect I will fpv but over time. I want few pieces devoted to the Mule if I do FPV.
While that T-1000 FC thing limits the plane a touch it is a nice feature to have for sure.

IMG_1653.jpg IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1662.jpg IMG_1663.jpg

Andre.

Last edited: