FPV Tow Glider

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I actually really liked this episode. I've just got our FPV set up going well and you wonder what can I do next . . challenges like this are perfect.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Josh S blew me away with his flying. I thought he did a great job. The whole concept was awesome. I'd like to give it a try sometime.

Flight4Life

Hi,

I happen to be training for a Glider pilot license (although far from), and would like to share some tips:

-Since there is barely any speed, it isn't that important for smaller RC gliders to stay just above the tow plane, but it's still good to practice it.
-I don't know how long you had the rope connecting the tow plane and glider, but in full-size gliding, 20 meters is enough (about 66 foot), meaning an RC plane doesn't need much more; less would be the best way to go (in my opinion).

It is a great idea to do it FPV, bringing it closer to the real thing (and probably better gliding properties too).
It is very professional to think of those wires at the wings, for an easier and controlled take-off (drag is the only disadvantage).

Awesome flying by the way!

Mark

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
-Since there is barely any speed, it isn't that important for smaller RC gliders to stay just above the tow plane, but it's still good to practice it.
-I don't know how long you had the rope connecting the tow plane and glider, but in full-size gliding, 20 meters is enough (about 66 foot), meaning an RC plane doesn't need much more; less would be the best way to go (in my opinion).

Great tips! Thanks for sharing! I hope it goes well with your license :)

flitetest_mexico

In this episode of Flite Test, Josh, Josh and Chad try something new. No, the plane isn't broken down, and no we didn't loose the motor. This plane is a glider that we tow via FPV! Watch this episode to see how we did it, and how you can too!

see_article.png

hi guys this is how i made an tow glider but made the release system on the inside and made the fuselage more... gliderish kinda?

i made an article about it (Scratchbuilt Tow Glider) but unfortunately i wasnt able to post the pictures so here they are
P1070298.JPG

P1070300.JPG P1070306.JPG P1070307.JPG P1070309.JPG P1070311.JPG P1070313.JPG P1070319.JPG P1070321.JPG P1070323.JPG P1070324.JPG

here it is the diagram for the electronics
tow glider diagram.png

hope you liked it and look foward for the maiden flight!!!

Last edited:

MrClean

Hi,

I happen to be training for a Glider pilot license (although far from)

Mark

Have you tried a winch or car tow yet? It's awesome! but you don't get as high of course but there's something about the steep initial climb that you just have to try. Haven't trained in sailplanes since 84, but the limited experience I had was pretty fun.

For those that don't know, it pretty much simulates an RC high start launch only your sitting in the sailplane instead of watching it zoom up.