FPV transmitter range question

Captain Video

I have a RMRC Cricket Cam V2 - 5.8 GHz 25mw - RHCP Antenna. I have it attached to a mini Arrow but the transmission drops out from my Fat Shark goggles around 50-60ft. Is this normal or do I need to upgrade antennas?
Thanks
Captain Video

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
First I'd make sure you were using the same channel. At short range, you can get a clear signal on 2 adjacent channels and will drop out when you get some distance. Second I'd check your antennas make sure both are "right hand". At short range you can get reception from a mix of right hand & left hand antennas.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I personally never run less than 200mW on fixed wing models. What video Rx are you running in your goggles? What antennae?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm leaning towards being on a channel that's close, not the actual channel you want. I've gotten about 150-200 ft with my RHCP Fatshark antenna and the stock "dipole" antenna on my Inductrix Pro, which runs a 25 mw camera. I consider that a decent distance at the ball fields, because when I start getting near the light poles, I get fuzziness/video drop for a sec or two...