Fr Sky Taranis Chat. Questions/Answers/Share

MrClean

Couple screws each would have been a better, more replaceable solution. But what the heck. Long as I can keep fixing it. Might have to hack it with Sugru for a screw mount fix.

Krtismo

Well GetFPV.Com has the Taranis back in stock so I ordered mine today!

Since I'll be starting with a blank slate, should I install OpenTX 2.0 right away? Or is there a good reason I should wait and install it later?

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Well GetFPV.Com has the Taranis back in stock so I ordered mine today!

Since I'll be starting with a blank slate, should I install OpenTX 2.0 right away? Or is there a good reason I should wait and install it later?

Go ahead and install Open TX 2.0 on your computer and familiarize yourself with it. So when you finally get your TX your learning curve will be less.

robschonk

Simple is when you get what you want where you want it, not where some guy thought it would be fun to put it..

Just as simple with the Taranis, if you want it to be. Turn it on, select one of the model templates, and fly.

In a few weeks, you'll start thinking Hmmm, I wonder if I could...

It's a radio you'll never outgrow.

Besides, half the fun in the hobby is tinkering. On a rainy Saturday, program instead of fly. Plenty of videos to help you learn. Ultimately, the software is probably powerful enough to fly the Shuttle. Use just the features you need.

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Just as simple with the Taranis, if you want it to be. Turn it on, select one of the model templates, and fly............Ultimately, the software is probably powerful enough to fly the Shuttle. Use just the features you need.

Do I smell a FliteTest Challenge? :p Let's see how much "pull" their new Corp actually can muster. ;)

Thurmond

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Think the one thing that eventually will need to upgrade is the radio screen interface to may be a color touchscreen. I believe the button interface will be out of date soon.

MT Alex

Think the one thing that eventually will need to upgrade is the radio screen interface to may be a color touchscreen. I believe the button interface will be out of date soon.

I agree, the screen is adequate, but I would be much happier with a higher resolution screen, even a black and white one. As far as a touch screen goes, that would be swell, but even a D style pad (like a Nintendo controller) with a select button in the middle would be a heck of an upgrade to the clunky buttons that are on there now. I've only had my Taranis for a couple of months but I would gladly spend money on a new one with a better interface.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The FrSky Horus (x12d) is supposed to get a color screen, but afaik still with button control.

robschonk

Most folks don't look at the screen when flying. It's too distracting. Set the radio up to read the telemetry to you.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
The FrSky Horus (x12d) is supposed to get a color screen, but afaik still with button control.

A sneak peek look at the Horus

a6662237-156-horus.jpg

MT Alex

Most folks don't look at the screen when flying. It's too distracting. Set the radio up to read the telemetry to you.

It doesn't have anything to do with flying, it's when you are programming and such, you know, when you are setting the radio up to read the telemetry to you.:) The plane display models don't look very well on the main menu, either. My old JR xp6102 seems to have the same screen resolution.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
It doesn't have anything to do with flying, it's when you are programming and such, you know, when you are setting the radio up to read the telemetry to you.:) The plane display models don't look very well on the main menu, either. My old JR xp6102 seems to have the same screen resolution.

+1 to robschonk
Personally, I want the radio to tell me the telemetry readings so I don't have to look way from my plane.

MT Alex

I've never once looked down at my screen when flying, let me make that very clear, wanting a higher resolution screen has nothing to do with looking at it while flying. I was simply reiterating a point originally brought up by Kurt.

My Taranis is programed to count off the minutes once I enable the throttle and move my stick, I also have it sound off the RSSI when I am flying out of LOS with my X8R.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I've never once looked down at my screen when flying, let me make that very clear, wanting a higher resolution screen has nothing to do with looking at it while flying. I was simply reiterating a point originally brought up by Kurt.

My Taranis is programed to count off the minutes once I enable the throttle and move my stick, I also have it sound off the RSSI when I am flying out of LOS with my X8R.

Would you share how you set up the timer/minute count off?

MT Alex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi_KAbgJ3vE
Would you share how you set up the timer/minute count off?

Sure. I haven't updated my firmware to 2.0, so this is for the earlier versions. I'm not sure I will update since there is no more Templates menu in the TX simulator. I went there first to setup my Custom Functions to take a screenshot for you, instead I had to take an actual picture of my TX. I created my own audio files for the throttle enabled/disabled and my rates using this method.

This is the original video I learned this method from if my instructions don't convey what they should.

1. Menu Page 13/13 Templates select 02 Sticky-T-Cut
2. Menu Page 2/13 Model Setup for Timer 1 select THt then select Minute call, which is right below
3. Menu Page 6/13 Mixer select := MAX -100 to edit and specify the switch, I use SF↓
4. Menu Page 11/13 Custom Functions:

CF-Menu.jpg

Of course, this could all be done without using a "Throttle Cut" switch, you could just have the switch arm your timer, but this may help avoid some bloody fingers someday. When I select SF↓ my TX says "Throttle disabled" and resets my timer. When I leave SF↓ and move the switch to SF↑ my TX says "Throttle enabled" and as soon as I move the throttle the timer starts.

Last edited:

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Special Functions menu has stayed the same. The Logical Switches is new. I think it was custom switches.