Fr Sky Taranis Haptic Feedback Mod

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I got my package in today from helibatics.com, can't wait to install. One other thing I will need to do is to update my Taranis to ver 1.2. I hear that it's still in testing still so... more to come in the future.

haptic feedback mod.png

Update: 6-5-14
So I installed the Mod and installed v1.2 firmware. Haptic Feedback Hardware tested good.

I can now use haptic feedback. awesome right?

I install firmware 2.0. There is no haptic function in the Radio Setup Menu... Fail!

Correction:

After you have installed Companion 2.0. Go to settings and select Haptic BEFORE you download your lates firmware, in this case v2.0.

Hapticpage.png

Now go to File, Download..., select check for updates download the firmware. It should prompt you to install. Before you do...

Turn off your radio plug it in the USB to your computer. Wait a minute for it to connect.

Now you click install firmware.

When it is done you can unplug and test. Works great!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wha?!? a feature *not* built into the Taranis?!?

Kudos Kurt for correcting this gross oversight of FrSky!

. . . and yes, I do mean that! The buzzer motor in my DX7S is VERY handy for alarms, especially if the speaker is too loud (like my 7S) or too anemic (like the taranis)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
They are doing an update to the Taranis series. Haptic feedback and a six position mode switch are parts of that. afaik you can get all parts and upgrade your old version to the new one.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Wha?!? a feature *not* built into the Taranis?!?

Kudos Kurt for correcting this gross oversight of FrSky!

. . . and yes, I do mean that! The buzzer motor in my DX7S is VERY handy for alarms, especially if the speaker is too loud (like my 7S) or too anemic (like the taranis)

I have plans to upgrade to speaker too...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor

The 9XR is crap for ergonomics. The Pro does not address ANY of that... just new gizmos. With all the features packed in them now they are no longer "disposable" radios. If you are going to use it in the long run you want it to feel natural. If I were in the market for another radio I would pick up the Taranis. For now though, my 15+ year old JR is doing me just fine.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have a Taranis. I was simply pointing out another option no matter how gaudy or non-ergonomic and you have to admit that their advertisement copy is VERY amusing.

Thurmond

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The first thing I thought (and replied) when HK announced the video on Twitter using the phrase "has taken it to the next level" was: "You mean „has taken it to Taranis level“? ;)"

:)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The first thing I thought (and replied) when HK announced the video on Twitter using the phrase "has taken it to the next level" was: "You mean „has taken it to Taranis level“? ;)"

:)

Nah, I don't think HK will ever get that good! :p

Thurmond

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Update: 6-5-14
So I installed the Mod and installed v1.2 firmware. Haptic Feedback Hardware tested good.

I can now use haptic feedback. awesome right?

I install firmware 2.0. There is no haptic function in the Radio Setup Menu... Fail!

Ahh the beauty of open source development . . . where the left programer doesn't know what the right programer is up to . . .

( "this is a great option for the DIY'ers -- lets add it in" . . . "what's this function for? It can't do this! lets take it out in the next release" <facepalm>)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
ahh . . . classic PEBKAC issue.

I have those all the time -- never can get it fully sorted out. At least you've found a workaround for this case ;)

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
ahh . . . classic PEBKAC issue.

I have those all the time -- never can get it fully sorted out. At least you've found a workaround for this case ;)

Oh no, the process was spelled out for me. I'm just not following instructions well.