Frankenplane -- Rise of the undead airplane -- Halloween Build Contest!!!!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Frankenplane - Airframes Rising from the dead!

Goal: build an airframe and maiden before MIDNIGHT OCT 27 (to give us time to vote) using parts that have been previously crashed.

Required for entry: Build log in the mad builders forum, preferably with photos following the build process, and *At least* a photo of the maiden, preferably video.

Rules:

- The airframe needs to have AT LEAST one major part in a previously crashed-and-scrapped airframe, exposed to the air while in flight (and no -- power systems, props, and radios do not count!).

- multirotors are allowed for entry

- success on maiden not required, but you at least need to try -- epic fails may be better than half-harted successes.

- MUST be completed before Midnight, OCT 27 -- upload delays for videos allowed, but keep it to a minimum (I'm looking at you Teach!)

Bonus points for: exposed past damage, seasonably appropreate decoration(as long as it doesn't hide/mimic old battle scars), or night flying (preferably creepy).

Scoring: Communistic -- we all vote, and if the benevolant dictator doesn't like the outcome, well . . .

A poll will be posted with all entrys on Oct 28, with the results taken on the morning of OCT 31st.

Throw your hat in the ring here, and start a build thread over in the mad builder's corner -- Your competition (and source of ideas to steal):

Eagle4: Sparrow v2
Foam Addict: Franken Sensei 2.0
CraftyDan: Dusty Rises from the Deep!!!!
rcspaceflight: Frankenplane(s): EDF Glider versions 1 *AND* 2
EpicFlyGuy: Franken plane Champ

Ok, people, the timer starts now . . . GO!!!!

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
"Scoring: Communistic -- we all vote, and if the benevolant dictator doesn't like the outcome, well . . . "
Here is my entry Comrade General! Kidding. (read too much Tom Clancy lately :p)

photo(8).JPG

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?5746-Franken-Sensei-2-0-Franken-plane-contest&p=64672#post64672

Epic fly guy

Awesome Member
Epic fly guy joining the build thanks Craftydan for kicking things off!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 20

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Awesome EFG! Welcome aboard!

Looks like you've got good material there to start with. When you start your build thread over on the "Mad Builder's Corner" I'll add the link above. Good luck!

Mustang7302

So ... The Cub has been in plenty of crashes (still flies) ... The HAL has been in a few crashes (adios landing struts) ... If I replace the Cub's wings with the HAL quadcopter, the HAL should have enough power to lift the Cub's fuselage...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One week down, less than three to go!

I see a lot of nice smashed foam to start -- how's everyone comming on their re-animations?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
One week down, less than three to go!

I see a lot of nice smashed foam to start -- how's everyone comming on their re-animations?

I'm done with mine, I just have to edit the video and actually start a thread and blah blah blah. Mine failed, but I might do a second one. And by "failed" I mean it neither flew well nor was is a complete disaster. It would have flown, but I broke it before I figured out the CG and how to properly fly it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mine was repairable so it's not a frankenplane...just a slightly bent GeeBee...

Who's stopping you from turning a bent & dinged airframe into a unholy abomination that flies? Wouldn't a Flyer tail/wing/fuse look good on a profile balsa GeeBee? ;)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm done with mine, I just have to edit the video and actually start a thread and blah blah blah. Mine failed, but I might do a second one. And by "failed" I mean it neither flew well nor was is a complete disaster. It would have flown, but I broke it before I figured out the CG and how to properly fly it.

I'd lay good odds that Bixler's happy accidents only happen the first time because he rarely shows off his happy failures. That's not bad -- he's not wasting our time showing off dead ends, but don't be surprised if you hit one.

Sounds like you might have a v3 entry in the wings -- after all this is all about bringing dead planes back to life!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Who's stopping you from turning a bent & dinged airframe into a unholy abomination that flies? Wouldn't a Flyer tail/wing/fuse look good on a profile balsa GeeBee? ;)
I still have 3 weeks...Plenty of time to drill another hole with it!