FrankinMitter JRSport SX600 72mhz/2.4ghz

Peacock

JR Sport SX600 72mhz to 2.4ghz conversion

So i just finished putting the Corona 2.4ghz DIY kit in my JR radio. I used a 9 pin 2-way toggle switch so could completely isolate the 72mhz from the 2.4ghz transmitters and still use one or the other.
Why? I know, it makes no sense.:D
FrankinMitter.jpg
Corona DIY 2.4ghz conversion of JR SX600.jpg
Excuse the messy use of hot glue, i just find it easier than shrink tubing corona 2.4ghz unit mounting.jpg Antenna soldering..jpg toggle switch.jpg JR SX600 signal wire connections.jpg binding board.jpg

And this below, is the best upgrade of all. So much longer battery life.
best upgrade.jpg

Here is a video showing the two frequencies in action.
Note:Obviously in real world application one would always turn the TX on before turning on the RX. even then, only have one RX on at a time. HOWEVER for purposes of this demonstration both 2.4ghz and 72mhz receivers were already on.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It makes a little sense... :)
I still fly with my 72mhz JR and probably will at least until I get a Taranis. I'll probably still fly with it even after since I have so many planes on 72mhz Rx's and it will take a while to replace them.

I'd love to see how you did this one. Any chance of a mod log?

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
That's pretty cool. I still use a jr 9303 in 72. I have the spektrum dsm2 module I use with it for 2.4.

con244

Hi Peacock,
Good job with your mod. One thing to test for is that it isn't actually transmitting on both frequencies at the same time. I modded my Hitec Optic 6 Sport 36Mhz Tx with a Orange Spectrum Compatible Module and found that I was transmitting on both frequencies even with a select switch in the circuit. Just needed to cut one of the circuit traces to fix but potentially disastrous for other flyers at our field. I have now switched over to 2.4Ghz so rarely use that switch.
Con

Peacock

Hi Peacock,
Good job with your mod. One thing to test for is that it isn't actually transmitting on both frequencies at the same time. I modded my Hitec Optic 6 Sport 36Mhz Tx with a Orange Spectrum Compatible Module and found that I was transmitting on both frequencies even with a select switch in the circuit. Just needed to cut one of the circuit traces to fix but potentially disastrous for other flyers at our field. I have now switched over to 2.4Ghz so rarely use that switch.
Con
Thats why i used a 9 pin switch. it completely Isolates the FM and 2.4ghz transmitters (power signal and ground) when switched off. when one is on the other is completely disconnected from the system. 9 pin switch.jpg

Last edited:

Peacock

Update: The instructions do not make clear the TX has to be switched ON AS you are holding the binding button on the TX. Only then will the RX light up when pressing the binging button on the RX. (This initial misunderstanding made me think i had two bad RX's)

Last edited: