Frc X-32 Guppy

T-Richard

I haven't been building lately. I ran out of foamboard and cant find any at local dollar stores and it isn't time to go out looking so instead ill use up my scraps of depron and foamboard and build a 6s frc foamies x-32.

6s isn't about the speed or anything, its more about having a plan i can drain my race drone lipos with.

So here is what I have
IMG_20200423_181818.jpg

Ill get started tonight!

T-Richard

Damn, not enough foam!!!! Cutout the plans and my depron sheet was a very strange size.... Not enough to make it. Plan b, ill finish my other build with the heavier foam and hope for the best. Ill half de paper it to save some weight...

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Try Ross FB at Walmart, it works well. The paper will not come off as easily as Adams FB.

T-Richard

I have ross but in Canada wal mart doesn't carry it other than certain colors which are hesvy and like 5usd a sheet. I am trying another Dollarama today as i do my weekly grocery run. Since school s are out and its in school supplies they're unlikely to be in stock. I am a bit in the country and because of covid restrictions I can't get away very far for foamboard or any thing unfortunately. Based on what I find it'll determine my next project. Hopefully I'll be able to build SOMETHING!??!

T-Richard

I am going to mount the elevon servos before I go further so i can figure out where to go from there. All pieces are cut so once the elevon system is setup the rest should be quick

T-Richard

Mounted a drone esc with a large ubec with lipo low votage alarm in the air intake and ran the wires back in the batt and rx compartment.

T-Richard

I closed up the bottom and glued the side plates in. A lot of glueing and taping left to do but i decided id do a mock up as i prepare to finish mounting the servos and do the first power up before finishing the fuselage. It looks like a plane tho.
IMG_20200524_152218.jpg

T-Richard

Ready to go. Will maiden today with a 4s 1600 and 6042 prop.

Full Vtail setup looking forward to seeing how it performs. It's not light but i am hoping it will be powerful enough to make up for it. It has a good wing area as well.

More photos and a video to come
IMG_20200531_084028.jpg

T-Richard

So I did a quick maiden. It flew, was plenty powerful. I am not sure how it flew because the wind was very strong and gusty. It felt erratic and not as smooth as I would have hoped. Landing was cross wind and I stalled and nose in a bit at the end. No damage tho. I will try under better conditions and reserve judgment until then.

T-Richard

I went out to re Maiden The FRC foamies X32 today. it's flew way better, I did almost nothing on the airplane but the weather conditions were to blame for the first flight. Just shows me that my field is a little less than ideal wind wise...

few things about the airplane to know:
the "paint scheme" that I chose makes orientation a little bit challenging, I added a little bit of colour underneath but at a distance it was very hard to recognize
the rudder works very well I did not detect any adverse roll effects from it. it's nice to have park jet with Rudder control
the torque roll from the motor however is quite significant it makes the plane very powerful but it is hard to contract ob take off and when you're near stall.
I also really like the belly it makes for a nice platform to land on
I like the distinctive look of it, although different I find quite interesting
this is a great addition to my fleet I think I might do a few things to help orientation but otherwise I'm going to keep it as is and try to optimize the setup a little (rates for aileron were turned down after yesterdays flight. I will probably increase it back to 100% because I need it to counteract the torque roll. though I will turn down rudder as it seems quite strong!

I will video at my next opportunity, I flew with my wife and child so I couldn't get a video.

IMG_20200601_195127_641.jpg