FRCFoamies de Havilland Mosquito Score and Fold Plan

F1wanabe

Jay and I are a few days away from releasing our second WW2 score and fold plane (first one was the F4F Wildcat) and I wanted to preview it here because it is one of the most spectacular looking and flying twin prop planes I've ever flown.
The de Havilland Mosquito- the wooden wonder! It was built of wood due to de Havilland's experience with other wood built planes and because raw materials were scarce in Britain. It was the fastest plane of its time incorporating two Rolls Royce Merlin engines giving it a top speed of 430 mph. Used as a fast and light weight precision bomber, it had no armament and was so difficult to shoot down that the German Luftwaffe pilots were given 2 kills for every Mosquito they shot down. What a great story!
Jay maidened the prototype last week and it flew flawlessly, and I followed up this week with the final version. This has a 41 inch wingspan and is 31 inches long, 23-24 oz total weight and features a true airfoil wing. We built it as a 4 channel plane but I flew it 3 channel too and it flies great! Check out the page at:
http://www.frcfoamies.com/DE_HAVILLAND_MOSQUITO.php

mosquito 1.jpg
mosquito 2.jpg

We hope you enjoy this plan!

F1wanabe

Thank you, MrClean!
20131005_132137-1-1.jpg
Jay and I are pleased to announce that...the plans are out! Please visit our website for download:http://frcfoamies.com/DE_HAVILLAND_MOSQUITO.php
This is such a smooth flier! We are recommending a 2s set up with 4 channels and counter rotating props- nothing fancy. This set up is extremely stable and gives such scale performance. We hope you enjoy!

MrClean

hmmm, they used the same score for Battle of Britain. I really like it fully dressed.

F1wanabe

Thanks, MrClean, that was a good one. Just rented Squadron 633 to watch tonight. Love the Mosquito's history!

F1wanabe

Interesting! After a few minutes of watching the movie it dawned on me that the scenes where the mosquito pilots are flying low level through the canyons on the way to the bombing target have to be the basis for the star wars death star attack scenes. Sure enough, both this movie and the Dam Busters movie were Lucas' inspiration!

whiskeyjack

Great job guys! It would seem we have another dynamic duo to inspire us akin to Dave and Scott. I would love to build this one but I have 3 planes ahead of her. Maybe a build thread so we see what others do with this model? Again, great work and good luck.

F1wanabe

Great job guys! It would seem we have another dynamic duo to inspire us akin to Dave and Scott. I would love to build this one but I have 3 planes ahead of her. Maybe a build thread so we see what others do with this model? Again, great work and good luck.

Thank you, whiskeyjack, Those are some big shoes to fill! Dave and Scott have been great about letting us grow on RCPowers. Are you a member there?
Jay posted part 1 of the build video and will complete them shortly. The website will have other's pictures also. Hope you get to it soon! What are you building now?

whiskeyjack

Hi Greg, Yes I am a member over there, known as grumpybear. I can blame Dave for getting me started on this road to ruin! For this year's build season (some call it Canadian Winter) I have the Maker Hanger trainer, F35v2 and an Avro Arrow designed by one of the members from RCP forums whoose name escapes me at the momment.
I am really excited about the Mossy; it is one of my all time favourite warbirds! I need to check out the build video, cheers.

F1wanabe

Grumpybear, we've "spoken" before! Great to talk to you again! The f35v2 is a good one- I love how much you can modify that. If you want to try anything out, including edfs, thats the plane to do it on! The maker trainer looks like a lot of fun. Is that manaconda's Avro Arrow?
The Mossie is really fun to fly- like our A10 Warthog, I love flying it scale, although sometimes I do try to push a little harder. The Mossie doesn't care though!
Build Video 2 is done!

whiskeyjack

Wow Jay, a complete plane in just 20 minutes! Now if a could only figure out what kind of tea that is to get my hands to move that fast. (Kidding)
I was just over at the RCP forum, lots of interest there. I was just thinking that you may want to post the flight videos in the article section in order to generate more response from this site, just a thought.
Greg, the Arrow was designed by a guy who goes by "RCPrairieFlyyer" on the RCP forum. The thing I liked about it was the mid mount motor same as we use on many other designs.
I also checked out "frcfoamies" and I have one question for you. I have yet to find a source for foam tack in Canada. I see that you guys are only shipping in the States. Any idea of where I might find foam tack in Canada or is it possible for you to ship here?