fred0000's 450's

fred0000

this section seems kinda slow, I thought i'd share my current 2 450 size helicopters. I have another kit my girlfriend got me for christmas that is waiting on a few things and i'll share that one aswell, should be pretty nice when its done. (very nice carbon fiber chassis)

these are the 2 in my avatar picture.

First is a Leaders Hobby "carbon fiber" kit, I then put an eBay aluminum head and tail unit on it, as the kit comes with all plastic parts (V1 I belive)
for electronics this one has the following.

-HXT900 cyclic servo's
-Corona DS-919MG tail servo
-ZD-720 Gyro
-towerpro 40a ESC
-Turnigy 2215 typhoon 3550kv motor
-Turnigy 20c 2200mah 3s lipo
-Turnigy 9x RX/TX

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Second is a HK450 (very happy with the quality of these) mostly stock kit, has an aluminum anti-rotation bracket added.
for electronics this one has the following.

-Turnigy TG9e cyclic servos
-Corona DS-919MG tail servo
-HK401B gyro
-eBay 35a ESC
-eBay 3680kv motor
-Turnigy 20c 2200mah 3s lipo
-Turnigy 9x RX/TX

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Last edited:

fred0000

thank you colorex, i'm really having fun with them, if you take it slow you can keep crashes to a minimum but setting them up is time consuming. I like to keep a complete HK450 kit on hand and a few servo's just to be sure I have whatever parts I may need incase of a crash.

I can't really do much more then hover around, i'm taking my time I crashed enough when I first started flying these things. I can fly circles on the simulator but when it comes time to do it with the heli it's not the same.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Which simulator do you use? I bought the Phoenix simulator strictly for helicopters because all the heli pilots I asked said it was the best. I am extremely happy with it and I've found that it's very very similar to flying my blade 400. I credit my simulator time for saving me thousands in repairs. I've still had plenty of crashes, but I got through the hovering phase really quickly and am now into loops, rolls and flips. Can't make myself stay inverted yet.

How do you like the MCPx? I have been thinking of getting one for flying in the gym. I have an MSR and an MCX2 for my kids. I get nervous flying my Blade 400 in the gym because there's always a bunch of people there.

fred0000

I am currently using FMS, I have phoenix on the way so i'm looking forward to that one.

the MCPx is an awesome little heli, I sold my MSr when I got it, the only drawback of not having the MSr or any fixed pitch helicopters is that i'm hesitant to let anyone else try my helicopters, depending on the size of the gym I wouldnt fly a 400 size heli in there, just as a courtesy to other pilots they are scary to be around and when you're flying then someone spools up a heli that size its hard to stay focused.
after flying the 450's the MCPx does sit alot, I have an HK250GT that i'm about ready to build so i'm hoping that will be my next indoor heli.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's one thing I really like about the MSR. I let my 11 and 7 year olds fly it and I've had people stop by who've never flown anything at all and I've had them flying it. I think I'll always bring it to the gym. I really like my 400 but you're right, it's too much for indoors. I'm bored with the MSR and I think the MCPX v2 will be the ticket. I really don't want any more small helicopters except to fly inside. I bought a Century Hawk Pro .30 nitro last fall and I'm really looking forward to getting some time on it this summer.

fred0000

thats awesome, I kinda wish I had kept my MSR and 120SR but the person that has them now is getting into helicopters because of them, so that is fine with me too. I like to have the MCPx for those long runs of poor weather and just need to get a flying fix in other then the sim.
I think I might fire it up today actualy it's been a while since i've flown it. if I was you i'd go for V2 for sure, i've been lucky and have had zero issues with mine though. I know what you mean once you start with the bigger heli's it's hard to go back to the micro's.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I forget I even have the MSR. Every once in a while I bring it out in the living room and fly it from my recliner. I like to put cereal boxes out on the floor, clear the end tables and practice spot landings. My 11 year old son is starting to get pretty good with it. If not for the indoor season, I would probably get rid of my MSR. My kids are more into planes. I'm going to get another super cub for them to bash on.

How did you like the SR120? Was it just like the MSR? I really wanted one but it didn't seem different enough to spend the money on it.

fred0000

Same as the msr but more outdoor flight friendly. I liked the msr alot more and flew it indoor/outdoor just fine. The msr can stand up to abuse a bit better I found aswell.