fred0000's Kyosho Nexus 30

fred0000

after my dad saw my heli video (he lives out of town) he asked me if I wanted this helicopter he's had for a while.
I finaly got a chance to drive out to his place and this is what he gave me.

overall shot of what I got.

100_0191.jpg

field box that houses a starter, fuel pump glow igniters and various other parts.

100_0192.jpg

futaba skysport 6 channel transmiter.

100_0194.jpg

Helicopter

100_0193.jpg

100_0196.jpg

Canopy removed

100_0195.jpg

and compared to one of my 450's

100_0197.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Lets see if you can even get it started :p Just kidding, I'm sure you'll do great! Just don't kill yourself.

fred0000

Lets see if you can even get it started :p Just kidding, I'm sure you'll do great! Just don't kill yourself.

haha thanks for the inspiration colorex lol, i'm sure i'll do ok, I ordered an electric fuel pump since I needed some other stuff from HK, I can educate myself till it gets here. (I have a manual pump that came with it if I decide I want to try it early) should be lots of youtube videos on starting and tuning these things.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It looks awesome. I bet it's super stable. I can't wait to get my 30 going. I wouldn't mess with the skysport radio though, I'd just buy a receiver to go with your 2.4 radio. I would hate to lose a bird like that, especially a rare one that can't be easily replaced due to some radio interference.

fred0000

It looks awesome. I bet it's super stable. I can't wait to get my 30 going. I wouldn't mess with the skysport radio though, I'd just buy a receiver to go with your 2.4 radio. I would hate to lose a bird like that, especially a rare one that can't be easily replaced due to some radio interference.

I am going to leave the skysport 6 on it for now, the way the servos work i've never seen before. so I dont want to mess with it since its in working condition right now.

there is 1 servo that controls pitch, one that controls elevator, and one that controls aileron. (all independantly, they dont work together for any of the functions)
its not a standard 120* CCPM setup, i'll have to look into setting it up on my 9X, but till I am confident i'll be able to do it i'm going to leave it alone.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Helicopters are way too complex for me to ever get one. It looks like I'll break something just by looking at it.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
They are very simple to setup. There's no mixing. Your radio should have the programming for it already. You just make sure everything is at zero pitch when the stick is centered. Set your limits with the blade pitch. I would suggest 10 degrees positive pitch and about 3 degrees negative pitch to start and then increase the negative when you want to go inverted. I would check the manual if you have it to see what the recommended settings are. In this you really do have a pitch servo, aileron servo and elevator servo. I have a similar linkage setup on my century.

fred0000

yeah, i'm pretty sure the radio has a 90* CCPM setup, i'll have to look into that, I kinda like the idea of leaving it all "vintage" too though, i'm looking forward to flying it.
i've ordered an electric fuel pump and some fuel tubing and I should be set, I might need to get a few glow plugs though.
(hot, med, cold, I don't know yet lol)

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Congrats on the heli man. I don't have a nexus 30 but I have a raptor 30 that I flew the pants off last year and it looks pretty similar. If this is the biggest size you've flown you'll definitely like how stable they are and how well they buck the wind.

What size is the motor?

fred0000

it is an O.S. Max SX 32

i'm still planning to do a bunch of research before maidening it. (my maiden with it) the largest heli I have flown is a 450 so this is much larger then i'm used to, i'm really looking forward to it.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
As long as it's setup correctly it should be easier. Just watching and talking with the heli guys at my brothers club they are way more stable.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Once you get over the big size and the nitro noise you'll love it. Like I said before its way more smooth and stable than a 450. The os 32 is pretty fuel efficient too. My rappy has the 37 and I get 12 minute flight times and get dozens of flights to a gallon. The 32 should be even better.

If you are looking for more info on your heli I'd suggest checking out helifreak.com. I find it's a great heli forum for info and for the most part the users are pretty friendly.

stevec

it is an O.S. Max SX 32

i'm still planning to do a bunch of research before maidening it. (my maiden with it) the largest heli I have flown is a 450 so this is much larger then i'm used to, i'm really looking forward to it.

This was my second heli. I still have it hanging up in my garage.

If you need any pointers give me a shout on here or mail me.

You won't get the pitch range suggested above from it, maybe a total of about 18 degrees tops. Mine was set up for about plus 8 and minus 4 iirc.

The nexus is a rock solid heli, but bear in mind the old nitro birds didn't have the head speed that modern choppers have so the result is in wind they tend to shoot up in e air if there is a gust of wind.

The nexus is similar to setup to a raptor but they don't have the cradle that the aileron servo sits in. It has a big collective pitch lever that lifts the swash plate. Watch the blades when you set it up and make sure they are moving in the right direction I always get mixed up between the raptor and the nexus so I can't remember if they are both trailing edge control or not, but the swash plate may move in the opposite direction to the blades if it is trailing edge control.

The starter cone is a bit pants and you will find the starter can wobble off.

Change out the glow plug and give it a go.

Feel free to ask me any questions and ill try to dig up wherever you need to get it sorted.

/Steve

airhawk

Crashing Ace
after my dad saw my heli video (he lives out of town) he asked me if I wanted this helicopter he's had for a while.
I finaly got a chance to drive out to his place and this is what he gave me.

overall shot of what I got.

100_0191.jpg

field box that houses a starter, fuel pump glow igniters and various other parts.

100_0192.jpg

futaba skysport 6 channel transmiter.

100_0194.jpg

Helicopter

100_0193.jpg

100_0196.jpg

Canopy removed

100_0195.jpg

and compared to one of my 450's

100_0197.jpg
cant really see it