free extra is over

airhawk

Crashing Ace
hi ft forums
if you havent seen it already ft extra has gone premium
that me as much as it is deserved the people who donated have to give more again just thought id let people know

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Are you sure? Try again... it works for me. You might just have to have a flitetest.com login account and need to login to view content on those pages.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
It's a bit confusing. Go to the bottum and you'll see a dialog with a "1" in it. Click Go and it does some fake credit card thing, but eventually lets you into the videos. It fakes out the payment stuff. It also states - that you can skip past the donation.

Best regards,
PCH

airhawk

Crashing Ace
i got it 123.PNG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Airhawk,

I get the impression they're making some modifications on the site, but that doesn't mean they've decided to make it premium only. I clicked extra to verify what you were seeing and got that banner. Closed the tab and clicked again . . . straight through to the videos.

There are somewhat regular changes to the underlying FT websites that we don't see, to make everything a little better -- if the changes are done right, we almost never will.

You've caught a change in progress -- They're playing with it, but that doesn't mean they're going donation only.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I just went through the welcome page (first time ever) and clicked on Go. It flashed some fake (test?) credit card stuff on the screen and then I was in. Now when I go back it goes straight through to the videos. I had never been in that section of the site ever before.

Best regards,
PCH

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
heh . . . I keep seeing "support" popping up where extra was . . . hold tight folks, we're in the middle of a Web-quake ;)

wittpilot

Just Plane Crazy
In case you didn't get the email about Extra changing, here it is. It was sent to those folks who had donated to Extra before.

FliteTest Extra
Notification

Hello! You are receiving this email because you donated to our premium content service, FT Extra.

Originally donation based, FT Extra will sone become a "Pay What You Want" model, meaning you can select the value FT Extra has to you.

Eventually we will need you to sign up for our new subscription system. But as a thank you for donating to the cause we are going to set your account to receive 3 months of unlimited access. After those 3 months your subscription will begin.

We want to thank you so much for your generous support as we develop this unique area of the site. We will be adding even more valuable features in the near future such as a chatroom, live video broadcast, and much more are going to be launched in the future. We are looking forward to the exciting future of FT Extra!

-The Flite Test Team

If you have any issues accessing FT Extra or are prompted for payment, please email us: support@flitetest.com and we will get back to you shortly.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I have a feeling like the guys are essentially trying to monetize the old FliteTest Gremlin Channel. Not that they can't do that.
But I do like that they're adding chats and everything, that sounds awesome :)

edwardsdigital

I don't mind the idea of a subscription, But...

I made a donation after I tried it out - BUT before the subscription service was implemented - and never got that email.

I would prefer to be able to make a donation or buy a block of time for a set price (with a paypal option) and have it applied to my account instead of putting my credit card info into a site I haven't been a member of for very long.

When I found out, I was pretty disappointed. I think part of it is how we were given the free taste first. All of a sudden losing that unless I pay(as ridiculously low as one dollar is) feels pretty sad.

Shannonb1

So I feel like forcing this is a bunch of crap. The extra videos haven't been that great anyway. Its only a dollar but its the principal. Its not a donation when you force people to pay it by the way, its a subscription model at that point. I still want to know what happened to Joshua Scott. This makes them look desperate and I have a feeling that flitetest might be coming to an end as this seems like a pretty pathetic money grab and it would be sad to see the "fellowship" go away. Im more of a spiteful person so all this does is make me not purchase another speed build kit and thats much more then the 1$ I was gonna get taxed. I would be very curious to know the user statistics on the site to see the revenue generated from this. I imagine the ROI might not be there based on folks reaction....or perhaps Im a cheap bastard.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
same here im not subbing until they make decent and at least 3 min long content whats going on so far isnt enough and i too didnt get the email. id also like to see something more than just videos whether it be live streams or a chat room id need to see something more than this

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
I personally have enjoyed the Extra videos immensely! They may be short, but they're great anyway. It's the kind of stuff I find highly amusing. Peter's cargo plane with the Avroto motors on it was the kind of thing that would never be in an episode, and never seen as a result. The time when David and Chad clocked the blue V-tail glider from SkipMiller Models was priceless, me being in the same situation with my fast planes sever times before. The time when Eric was following the FT Flyer around with the shotgun cam was funny too. I nearly choked on my chips! Some of them are short, I will admit, but they are not episodes after all.

Just my two cents.

Christopher14

wittpilot

Just Plane Crazy
So I feel like forcing this is a bunch of crap. The extra videos haven't been that great anyway. Its only a dollar but its the principal. Its not a donation when you force people to pay it by the way, its a subscription model at that point. I still want to know what happened to Joshua Scott. This makes them look desperate and I have a feeling that flitetest might be coming to an end as this seems like a pretty pathetic money grab and it would be sad to see the "fellowship" go away. Im more of a spiteful person so all this does is make me not purchase another speed build kit and thats much more then the 1$ I was gonna get taxed. I would be very curious to know the user statistics on the site to see the revenue generated from this. I imagine the ROI might not be there based on folks reaction....or perhaps Im a cheap bastard.

The previous version of "FT Extra" had a ticker (EDIT: I can't remember if it was a dollar amount, or a percentage) along the top that showed you how much had been donated to Extra. It reset each month I believe. So that gave everyone an idea to how much of the Extra portion was being covered by donation. Austin I believe stated at the onset that Extra may have to become a subscription based system like it is turning into, so it should come as no surprise that it is. The fact is, editing takes time, and time=money. Now where editing on the Extra videos may not be the same as the normal videos, it still is there and it still takes man hours to produce it all. Would I like Extra to be free still? Sure. But if paying a $1 a month or so and get the same or better content, is fine too.

As for Josh Scott, it has been said many many times, he has a full-time job too that is not FliteTest. Add to that a loving wife and 2 kids. His plate, as they say, is quite full. It seems quite sad that you think charging a dollar for "Extra" content is a sign that FT might "be coming to an end". Its unfortunate that you did not enjoy the Extra episodes, but thats okay, there are two other videos a week that are totally free!