Free Tricopter Tail mount for Beta Testing - First 3 that qalify get them.

dditzler

I am working on a new design and I would like some help testing if anyone is interested.

UPDATE: First round of testers chosen. Check back here for updates.

Requirements:
- you live in the USA because I am paying postage. If you want to pay postage you can live anywhere ;)
- you use motors with 16mm x 19mm bolt pattern
- you actually USE them AND provide me some feedback.

I will send three sets out next week to the people that want to try them. If you don't have time to test them then please don't ask for a sample. When I get the feedback I will send you a revised set to keep until I refine it to the point where all or most of the issues have been resolved.

Here are some shots of what I have so far...

The main components are laser cut Delrin (same as rotor bones mounts). They snap together and are held in place with the screws for the motor mount. It requires a 4mm shaft of some sort. I will supply a fiberglass one for testing. It also has some 1.4mm wire for the servo and a du-bro quick connector, both of which I will supply. I am not supplying the motors, the rest of the tricopter or the boom.

INCLUDED:
- one tail rotor motor mount (laser cut Delrin parts 5 per set)
- fiberglass rod for pivot
- metal wire for servo
- quick connector for servo arm
- metal collar for attaching to pivot
- free shipping (lower 48 USA only)

NOT INCLUDED:
- motor, servos, wooden boom, zip ties, glue for mounting finberglass rod, any electronics.

Some motors with 16mm x 19mm hole pattern.
HobbyKing AX-2810Q-750KV
Value Hobby MR2212-900KV

tricopter-tail-ditzler-3-notes.jpg tricopter-tail-ditzler-4.jpg tricopter-tail-ditzler-2.jpg tricopter-tail-ditzler-1.jpg
Let me know if anyone is interested?

thank you
-david

Attachments

• tricopter-tail-ditzler-3.jpg
    tricopter-tail-ditzler-3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looks like a very solid design. I don't have any tri-copter experience to compare these to (I only have quads and hexes)or I'd say send one my way. I'd be willing to test for you if you don't get people with more tri- experience. I will be watching this thread though...

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I'll Try it out for you. I have a simplecopter rear pivot boom already. Would be nice to see how they stack up.

dditzler

I'll Try it out for you. I have a simplecopter rear pivot boom already. Would be nice to see how they stack up.

This is compatible with the SimpleCopter tail. The tail shown with the black carbon fiber pivot is from SimpleCopters.

This makes it very easy to change because you can keep shaft and if my design does not work for you, you can put back on the simple copter design.

thank you
-david

5 oclock charlie

if your going to produce this for sale please pm me when available.
as a potential customer id like to see an attachment on both sides of the motor block for pull-pull control on the tilt.
the single works but 2 connections gives a bit of redundancy, and is less stress on the servo.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
if your going to produce this for sale please pm me when available.
as a potential customer id like to see an attachment on both sides of the motor block for pull-pull control on the tilt.
the single works but 2 connections gives a bit of redundancy, and is less stress on the servo.
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the setup. I should be getting one to test so I will try it as designed first then add the second attachment. Even if it isn't added to the design, it is only a matter of a few holes and a speed clevis...

dditzler

Shipment delayed

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the setup. I should be getting one to test so I will try it as designed first then add the second attachment. Even if it isn't added to the design, it is only a matter of a few holes and a speed clevis...

I actually have this in the design now so you could use one arm on either side or one on each.

The Delrin parts are cut but I am waiting on the dubro connectors. I am leaving town today so I will have to mail these in a week when I return (Sept 6th). Thank you for the suggestions.

have a good Labor Day weekend.

cheers
-david

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Any updates? I have a Tri built and ready but waiting on a pivot!

Are you still waiting on parts?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, mine came in the mail today. I haven't flown it yet but I do have some observations as I put it together.

The fit is very nice and slop free. Very easy to assemble. I had to ream the control rod holes a tiny bit to get the wire through them with no binding. I also chamfered the edges of the pivot holes and that allowed a free motion with no slop. I mounted it to the boom and tested motion with the single control arm on the servo. It worked well, but at extreme throw, had a possibility of flipping completely around. It did a couple of times during my testing. I do want to clarify, this initial testing was being done with a servo tester, so it is the absolute longest throw it would ever have and not likely to be encountered in flight. Well, I didn't want to risk even the slightest possibility of that so I went ahead and mounted a second control wire to make it a pull-pull setup and it's rock solid now! I get some more updates when I fly it...
_DSC9462_01.JPG
_DSC9463_01.JPG

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I had it up for a short hop tonight on the porch. I am really impressed with the authority of the rudder on a tri! This tilt mechanism seems to work really well, but until I can take it out in the daylight, and run around a little wider area, I'll reserve judgement. So far so good though...I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone else gotten theirs?

dditzler

Sorry I got delayed with "real" work. I think I have all the parts to send out a few kits.

From the feedback I've gotten already I am going to offer the dual sided controls instead of one as I originally planned.

sorry for the wait and thanks for your patience.

cheers
-david