Free video editor for dummies?

Turbojoe

Elite member
I just finished the maiden flight of my Eaglet 250 from WillyNillies.com and I need to do some VERY VERY MINOR video editing. I don't want to make a Hollywood production and I don't want to have to spend hours learning a program. I need SIMPLE and easy. Nothing more. If I ever do another video edit it won't be for years so paying for a full featured program is a waste. Simple and fast. That's all I want. Does it exist?

Joe

Tench745

Master member
I believe Windows Movie Maker still comes with Windows 10. It's perfectly capable of some simple editing and if you have Windows it's already there. I'm not familiar with any others except DaVinci Resolve, but that is a somewhat complicated program just for simple editing.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I believe Windows Movie Maker still comes with Windows 10. It's perfectly capable of some simple editing and if you have Windows it's already there. I'm not familiar with any others except DaVinci Resolve, but that is a somewhat complicated program just for simple editing.

You now have to pay Microsoft to complete, save and publish your video in Windows 10 Movie Maker. It's not a ton of money but I only want to edit ONE and only ONE video. It just isn't cost effective for me to pay even the $10.00 that MS wants even while it's "on sale". I finally got the raw, unedited video to post to YouTube and another FliteTest member (TooJung2Die) has offered to edit the video for me.

Joe

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I just use Imovie since I have a mac, and it is good for begining. I am already finding areas that are too limited though, for example, I can't stop the picture from slowly zooming in or out.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I just use Imovie since I have a mac, and it is good for begining. I am already finding areas that are too limited though, for example, I can't stop the picture from slowly zooming in or out.

My ex wife has an older iMac that she has been trying to give me. I didn't have any use for it though. Maybe I should have her bring it next time she comes out from California. Maybe I'll have another video to work on by then LOL. Graphics and video are iMac forte anyway aren't they.....

Joe

Tench745

Master member
You now have to pay Microsoft to complete, save and publish your video in Windows 10 Movie Maker. It's not a ton of money but I only want to edit ONE and only ONE video. It just isn't cost effective for me to pay even the $10.00 that MS wants even while it's "on sale". I finally got the raw, unedited video to post to YouTube and another FliteTest member (TooJung2Die) has offered to edit the video for me.

Joe
Well shucks, I didn't know that. The Movie Maker app I have still works just fine I just tested it to be sure. Seems I have an older version though.
I've never used it, but doesn't YouTube also have some editing suite as part of their tools?
Glad you're getting your footage taken care of at least.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Well shucks, I didn't know that. The Movie Maker app I have still works just fine I just tested it to be sure. Seems I have an older version though.
I've never used it, but doesn't YouTube also have some editing suite as part of their tools?
Glad you're getting your footage taken care of at least.

After I finally got the raw video uploaded to YouTube I see some editing tools. I didn't see anything to allow editing BEFORE the upload. It's up and nobody is complaining do I'm going to leave it alone for now. Too many other things going on. Are you using Windows 10? If so that's great that the older Movie Maker still works with it.

Joe

Captain Video

You can google Retired Adobe products. Adobe Premiere is no longer supported but it is a free download as it has been retired.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
You can google Retired Adobe products. Adobe Premiere is no longer supported but it is a free download as it has been retired.

Depends on the version, though - I know I used some versions of it that were kludgy as anything, and trying to do what you might think was simple would just bog down the system something terrible.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I found a free open source video editor called Shotcut. LINK I'm not interested in producing anything flashy. All I really needed to do was remove about 30 seconds from the beginning and end. I did it in nothing flat. Problem solved.

Joe

Coopery

Joe
Windows Movie Maker is completely free. Windows 10 Movie Maker is not the same thing with Windows Movie Maker that Tech mentioned.

Coopery

Hi leaded, I'm collecting freeware, and find many people recommend VSDC. But the weird thing is that I can't get it installed, so I just google for more information.
And I find a VSDC free editor review post which says: you cannot do any editing things when playing the clips.
Another VSDC free editor review from techradar writes: Hardware acceleration must be disabled before you can export videos
If those are true things, I'm afraid VSDC free editor is not that good.

leaded50

Legendary member
Hi leaded, I'm collecting freeware, and find many people recommend VSDC. But the weird thing is that I can't get it installed, so I just google for more information.
And I find a VSDC free editor review post which says: you cannot do any editing things when playing the clips.
Another VSDC free editor review from techradar writes: Hardware acceleration must be disabled before you can export videos
If those are true things, I'm afraid VSDC free editor is not that good.

Weird. ive used it at different PC without any problems. can not edit when playing clips.... well you play the clip in program... see the timeline in what you want adjust, adjust it, and play clips to check if ok in program. I never found any freeware videoeditor where you could adjust under "check" playing.
Eg. the Win Movie Maker is also alike this.

Last edited:

Captain Video

I use what I preach. I have been using Adobe Premiere CS2 since it was retired. I have been using Premiere for decades and the thought of using an icon based editor rather than a timeline based editor makes my brain hurt! Icon based editors are (in my opinion) are counter intuitive to a comon sense workflow and are limited in capability as well. Oh well, I will get off my old man soapbox about video editing!:cool:

leaded50

Legendary member
I use what I preach. I have been using Adobe Premiere CS2 since it was retired. I have been using Premiere for decades and the thought of using an icon based editor rather than a timeline based editor makes my brain hurt! Icon based editors are (in my opinion) are counter intuitive to a comon sense workflow and are limited in capability as well. Oh well, I will get off my old man soapbox about video editing!:cool:
Fully agree, editing by timeline is best way.

Coopery

Weird. ive used it at different PC without any problems. can not edit when playing clips.... well you play the clip in program... see the timeline in what you want adjust, adjust it, and play clips to check if ok in program. I never found any freeware videoeditor where you could adjust under "check" playing.
Eg. the Win Movie Maker is also alike this.

Thanks for your response. I finally installed it successfully after turning off the anti-virus program. Love its interface.:D

Kontiki

Who can advise me which program to use to convert videos from VOB format to MP4 format. It doesn't matter if it's paid or free, the main thing is that the conversion is fast and that it convert from VOB format.