Freewing Stinger 64mm motor upgrade

Captain Video

I want to upgrade the 2627 4300kv motor in my Freewing Stinger 64mm. I cannot find the motor on ReadyMade RC but I am will to consider suggestions. The replacement fan heats up the small gauge wire to the esc when running. What es

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If the ESC is not getting hot, why not just replace the wire with a thicker one?

Captain Video

The wire goes from the motor to the ESC. The wire in the 40 amp esc I want to install has a beefy 16ga wire and the wire on the motor is maybe i8ga or perhaps 20ga.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I would not be overly concerned about the wires connecting the motor to the ESC getting hot, unless you think they are dangerously "set your plane on fire" hot.

When you say you want to upgrade, do you mean just making the plane faster?

When you say "replacement fan" do you mean you replaced the fan with a new stock fan or did you change the fan, for example, increase the number of blades (which would put the motor under significant pressure and would also inform regarding a suggested replacement)?

I was given a hand me down, slightly trashed one of these and was really unimpressed with the power. So I pulled the fan and put it in an 80% scale diamond. On 3S she was not great. Then I ran it on 4S (with a 40amp esc) and she goes like the clappers and the magic smoke seems to be staying in. So if your 40amp esc can handle 4S and you haven't changed from the stock fan configuration, this might be the easiest way to go faster.

DamoRC