Frequency question

Carbon

Elemental Madness
This may be a dumb question, but if I am not planning on flying far away, can I test out my 2.3ghz video system and use a 2.4ghz frsky transmitter?
Thanks guys,
Ben

IamNabil

You can always test anything! I suspect it will be ok. The 2.4 and the 2.3 are much more different than the numbers would suggest. As long as your antenna is decent, and doesn't bleed into nearby spectrum too much, you should be ok, I think.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
check!
Alright, I'll try it out. I want to try everything out, even if I can't get my hands of a UHF module. Still trying to get funded!

Nonamerc

Arman
I know that you now have a UHF module. But NEVER use 2.4 GHz (or 2.3 GHz) for your VTX and 2.4 GHz for your TX. Because your TX (if its FHSS) will cover a bigger piece of the frequency then your VTX. This means that if the transmitters uses the same frequency as your VTX you will get failsafe and you will lose your video. Also 2.3 GHz systems dont exist they are sold as 2.4 GHz systems. Its better to say 2.4 GHz system instead of 2.3 GHz because some people will dont understand you ;)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Turn the vTX on first. This way the control tx will not use the noisy channel(s) used by the vTX. But like I said, ground test first. Arman is right, both systems will likely put out some signals in the 2.3 and 2.4. BUT at close range (visual) it's often not as catastrophic to have different functions running on the same band - why you can run many 2.4 systems together and in WiFi noise. One of the few redeeming benefits of the old DSM2 systems is that the tx picks 2 channels that are away from noise and don't shift from there.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I know that you now have a UHF module. But NEVER use 2.4 GHz (or 2.3 GHz) for your VTX and 2.4 GHz for your TX. Because your TX (if its FHSS) will cover a bigger piece of the frequency then your VTX. This means that if the transmitters uses the same frequency as your VTX you will get failsafe and you will lose your video. Also 2.3 GHz systems dont exist they are sold as 2.4 GHz systems. Its better to say 2.4 GHz system instead of 2.3 GHz because some people will dont understand you ;)

...yes they do exist: right there

brand new, I got one of the first. IBcrazy developed it

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
IBCrazy definitely states don't use 2.4FPV and 2.4 control but FPV at 2305MHz might work fine with 2.4 control as long as the transmitting antenna is mounted away from the RC Receiver antenna. I wait with anticipation for your test results.

Thurmond

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
IBCrazy said he used it an didn't have issues by dumb luck, but was surprised he didn't and switched pretty quickly.

Nonamerc

Arman
IBCrazy said he used it an didn't have issues by dumb luck, but was surprised he didn't and switched pretty quickly.

Every fpv-er should know that you cant use 2.4 GHz RC with 2.4 GHz FPV

Thats just one of the basic rules

EDIT:

For all the beginners reading this:

Last edited:

IamNabil

Guys, unless I missed something, he is talking about 2.3 and 2.4 ghz. Or, to break it down, the 2300 MHz band and the 2400 MHz band. Unless your antenna is terrible, you shouldn't interfere. I would be more concerned with 2.3 GHz LTE deployments screwing with your video. 2.3 is a ham radio band, also called the 13 centimeter band.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Guys, unless I missed something, he is talking about 2.3 and 2.4 ghz. Or, to break it down, the 2300 MHz band and the 2400 MHz band. Unless your antenna is terrible, you shouldn't interfere. I would be more concerned with 2.3 GHz LTE deployments screwing with your video. 2.3 is a ham radio band, also called the 13 centimeter band.

You know, I didn't want to be "that guy", but thank you. 2.3ghz seems to me different from 2.4ghz...
Besides, I'm using Bluebeam antennas...

Nonamerc

Arman
Yes it is different but your frequency hopping system or dsm2 system will also operate on 2.3 GHz not only on exact 2400 MHz. And yes in theory your FHSS sysem will skip that channel but in practice it wont work.

Last edited:

Nonamerc

Arman
@Carbon if you want 9 miles invest in a good UHF system like dragonlink and EZuhf. And yes they are not cheap but its the only way.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
lobster: 9x with frsky module until I can get a UHF module
nomarerc: why would that module from hobbyking not work?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If it's the stock module, the frequency distribution across the 2.4 band is shown here: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/turnigy9xv2review4.shtml

Like I said earlier, turn your vtx on first and do a ground test, but at short range it's hard to see why you'd have issues operating your video closer to 2300.

Let's be clear that this isn't a 'recommended' or 'ideal' setup. We're not saying that everybody should ditch their 900, 1.3 or 5.8 systems, and Carbon isn't going to use this as his long-term setup.