Help! Fried Receiver

Jeff_1974

I got my daughter some drone 'pieces' for Christmas, and it still isn't flying. We took it to a local hobby shop and after a week, the part time guy finally told us that she fried the receiver ... likely against the frame when she first powered it on. It was FrSky R-XSR 2.4GHz Micro Receiver the guy who suggested the broken receiver did not offer a suggested replacement other than we should get a coated one. I know what he means by coated (a non-open board), but for hundreds of options ... I don't know which one to choose. Do I need to match it to the radio? Does that matter?

The Radio is a Jumper T12

Sorry ... we are complete noobs ... my daughter took interest after she built a pre-made kit at school.

thanks for any help

Jeff_1974

Here is a list of items that we originally purchased from RaceDayQuads.com

Attachments

• HannahDrone_Orders.pdf
    833.3 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The receiver is one of the better ones for a quad so I would stick with that. I use them in all my builds. Normally I dont worry about coatings as I have only ever had issue once when I crashed too many times flying early in the morning before too many people were awake while there was a ton of dew on the ground at Flite Fest 2017.

If you are worried over moisture you can heat shrink it and seal it with hot glue. That will also add strength to the antenna mounts so they dont pull out.

Here is one mounted on the back out in the open on this one. never had a problem with it and I have put this in the dirt well over 120 mph many times.
IMG_0603.JPG

Jeff_1974

thank you ... that's what i was thinking ... after soldering, shrink wrap it so it doesn't short out again.

How do you determine "The receiver is one of the better ones for a quad"?

I've either been looking in all the wrong places or just can't find information on the various components and how to gauge them (which ones better for various reasons)

Thanks again

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
thank you ... that's what i was thinking ... after soldering, shrink wrap it so it doesn't short out again.

How do you determine "The receiver is one of the better ones for a quad"?

I've either been looking in all the wrong places or just can't find information on the various components and how to gauge them (which ones better for various reasons)

Thanks again

Start by what the community as a whole uses most. then look for reliability reviews, then personal testing. the key with these is to make sure you have good antenna placement that protects them as well as keeps them in a good position. Once I started mounting mine like this I never had a broken antenna nor any fail safe issues. Just use two zip ties on separate arms and heat shrink the exposed core part of the antenna. the rest can be coiled and tucked away where ever its not hanging out or interfering with moving props.

IMG_0604.JPG

Also this may help you out as its a detailed write up on a 3 inch build I did last year that has everything I can think of in it. Most of it will transfer to any size freestyle / race quad.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-the-oberon-ob-1-3-inch-quad-evolution.65728/

Last edited: