Frog Junior Sailplane build log

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Okay, so this is not my first balsa build (as you can see by my avatar) but it is the first that I am documenting. Probably won’t be the last either ;). I started by cutting out the wing ribs and leading and trailing edge. I didn’t mean to start building yet, but it was to tempting:ROFLMAO:. Wing is now mostly complete, oops!
A2C259F9-E457-43DA-945B-C74E5B6C9BFA.jpeg
D56E625F-5F07-456D-A8E0-E2BCB19CB9FE.jpeg
12C7E54A-90D2-431F-BC0D-E037A5AABB4C.jpeg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
As a side note: in the first photo, if it looks like the rib is backwards, it is. I got one wing half mostly done before I realized that I had them backwards, I had to cut them all off and turn them around, which wasn’t too hard. But it was slightly annoying.

Turbojoe

Elite member
C'mon. Don't do this to me. I have too many other projects right now but this looks like a perfect 200% enlargement build at 40". 20" is way too small for my fumble fingers to try to work with. I'm really being drawn to the old timer designs lately. I've done the Mountain Models Tom-E-Boy 150 and the Mountain Models Little Bogie. I think I'm hooked on these old designs now. Looking forward to your progress.

Joe

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Where did you get that from? I'm pretty sure that I built one of thosei in 1965!
Found the plans on outerzone Here to be exact. Made a little more progress on the fuse. Made it single piece side panels as I want to make it rc and it will be easier to install this way. Turned out a little crooked but it’ll do!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You can kind of see the twist at the front of the fuse in the last picture.

d8veh

Elite member
There should be a dihedral on the wings - 1 1/4" under each tip. Yours look straight.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Cute little bugger! What receiver / servo / battery system are you planning to squeeze in there?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Might be awhile, it’s a little smaller than I expected, an orangeRx and 5 gram servos and 650 1s might be to heavy for it. We’ll see though.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Gluing up the dihedral now. Next step is to add the spar, which I should be cutting as the dihedral joint glue is drying. (Just to add on to my previous post) I am going to try to find a smaller 1s lipo that I can fit in here, the 650mah would be a little to big to even fit in here. I have been using a sky viper replacement battery for their drones on all my unpowered gliders, which by the way, are a lot of fun. An OrangeRx 610 and FT 5gram servos will all run off of a 1s lipo without a voltage booster.

d8veh

Elite member
Are you going to coverit with traditional tissue paper and dope? We used to boil up flour to make tissue paste, though as a ten year old, I can remember not being quite good enough to remove the lumps.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Cut the vertical stabilizer and got it glued in last night. Now all that’s left is covering and putting some electronics in it that I don’t have yet:ROFLMAO:.