Frog Vespa conversion

Here are some pics of my latest project.

I've entered in a competition over at RC groups to keep me motivated to finish it. You can read the full build log over there. Just thought I'd give you guys a summary of what I'm doing.

Basically this is an old free flight glider I'm converting to RC. Someone on here has already done the same thing with a slightly smaller Frog Glider (the "wren" I think?) and that has inspired me a bit.

These vintage designs are really growing on me.

Plans.JPG

major components.JPG

I have deviated from the plans slightly to make it easier to convert to RC and easier to build.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Nice. I have a wren wing hanging up from when my son lost interest. Will finish one day.

Slowly getting there.
I've got some time off work, so I'm getting this thing done finally! Pretty happy with it so far. Hoping for an AUW of under 100g or there abouts. Just gotta cover the fuse, make a hatch & nose skid, hook up linkages, paint...umm I think thats it?
Want to try and tow it up behind an RC car...don't know how that will go?
mockup2.JPG

earthsciteach

Nice work. Can't beat the look of a balsa plane.

Towed behind an RC car? Sounds like a Flite Test episode to me!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I love that kind of build. But the problem is that it's very hard/expensive to get covering film here.

Colorex: I've been using laminating film recently (doculam) which is much cheaper than the "proper" stuff and works really good. Not sure if it's available in equador or not though? Alot of guys are still using tissue paper which is a little more fragile but maybe more readily available for you.

Earthsciteach: Yeah, the RC car may or may not be a good idea. The theory is that it will be easier to get a consistent speed (the car Tx has a EPA for the throttle) and if it goes bad it's easier to yell STOP at someone standing next to me than someone running away from me. Don't worry, we'll video it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
. . . and so why does "it sound like an episode" equal "may be a bad idea" :)

Looking forward to seeing it!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Colorex: I've been using laminating film recently (doculam) which is much cheaper than the "proper" stuff and works really good. Not sure if it's available in equador or not though? Alot of guys are still using tissue paper which is a little more fragile but maybe more readily available for you.

I've done tissue paper but not with the dope on it. I might be able to get water based polyurethane as a replacement, but haven't been into that lately. My time is drawn thin as I'm working now.

Just read the article on your Cadet. Very nice! Thats very similar to my little Vespa. You should fit some micro rc gear and fly it! I love that it has wheel, and I wish I saw your nose block trick before I made mine. That would have worked great for my build.

Oh yeah, the towline worked great! I get a bit nervous about them but it towed up nice and straight, if a little aggressive. We actually broke the line on the second tow (only 8lbs rated) and called it a day. I've since set up an old rc car to try and tow it with, and also made a light tension hi-start to try as well. But today I chucked it off a little sand dune at the beach and had some fun slope soaring with it. Flew for about 9-10 mins and even did a loop! I'm uploading the video currently. But it wasn't really built for that type of flying and I'm super keen to try one of the flat land lauch methods and start trying to learn thermals.