from DJI Inspire1 review to Inspire Scratch Build prototype

dr3n3al

Hello everyone
based on the DJI Inspire1 review by Flitetest, i start thinking about to do a scratch build of an inspire1, i got the schematics from the net, i got down the specs, but this will be inspired by the inspire1 (pun intended) not a clone, i think i figured out a way to make the retractable landing gear cheap,and i am making a shopping list (low cost) and i got some technical questions for the room.

were the 13" props chosen because of stability?
if i do a scale down version with 10" props will behave the same?

you guys Rock!!
here is the original video

HawkMan

props where most likely chosen for efficiency and flight time, though they help with stability as well.

x0054

That thing is pretty damn heavy, so it needs those props. I would suggest chose the props based on the weight you are going to be caring. What kind of camera and gimbal are you thinking about running? To match the Inspire 1 you'll probably be going with something like the GoPro4?

Also, are you going to make the prop arms move, or are you going to stick with just retracting the landing gear? The reason I was asking is because I was thinking the other day that actually it would be kind of a cool design to make the camera lower and raise, rather then move the props up and down. It could look like a strange alien creature that way :) Just my 2 cents.

Looking foreword to your design post.

- Bogdan

HawkMan

interesting, if I had the disposable income I'd order the print parts from Shapeways, I'd definitely paint it in Khaki/sand though, and put some red "eye" leds in front for that extra evil Half life drone look though :)

Still 3D printed parts generally mean a lot of weight, and the materials aren't generally safe over time, as in both ABS and PLA will "dry" out over time and shrink, ABS apparently more so, this may be a bigger problem for those who print models than thicker more solid structural items though.

Would need some more construction instructions though. and preferably the ability to print a battery holder for it, where you can put a battery in and mount spring mounted power connectors like on the original I1 so you can just slap batteries in and out without worrying about those damn XT60's or other annoying plugs.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, what struck me is how much of a lead weight it is. Plus, you can't get around $3K. Just imagine what you can do with $3,000 if you build it yourself, wow.

HawkMan

I just hope someone else comes to market with some competing digital video transmission soon, for cheap. not that it'll affect DJI prices since they think they're not part of the regular plebe market, but... it'd be great for us mere humans :)

dr3n3al

That thing is pretty damn heavy, so it needs those props. I would suggest chose the props based on the weight you are going to be caring. What kind of camera and gimbal are you thinking about running? To match the Inspire 1 you'll probably be going with something like the GoPro4?

Also, are you going to make the prop arms move, or are you going to stick with just retracting the landing gear? The reason I was asking is because I was thinking the other day that actually it would be kind of a cool design to make the camera lower and raise, rather then move the props up and down. It could look like a strange alien creature that way :) Just my 2 cents.

Looking foreword to your design post.

- Bogdan

i thought about it, i might get some prototype and show it to you, my concern is that the retract that i got is pretty hard and in the case of a crash it might get inside of the goPro :/ but i think ti would be a great spin on a design. Thanks

dr3n3al

I am also thinking to put an FPV small camera in the front of the canopy, CG is my biggest concern, as soon as i have the paper models and then the cardboard model for the canopy i will start posting, i still want to make it look pretty, any color preferences?
I just learned that a friend of mine company just acquire one, so I will get 1:1 time with it up close, here in Chile there are not many of those as a $3000 USD bird like that can go for $6000 USD here (import tax, profit and all the rest included) its insane what some people charge here for parts, it is worth to wait a month for parts coming from China.
Thanks guys for the advice.

motoguy

I would love to have, basically, the Inspire 1 with a Pixhawk controller. Or at least the capabilities of the Inspire, with a Pixhawk. I really like the APM options and flexibility, and would like to not be 'locked in' to DJI components/support.