From Florida, to Ohio and Back Again. A Journey to Edgewater.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
So what is necessary to develop a FT flying site?
I thought the FTCA was wanting to develop a number of FT flying sites across the land. But I've not heard anything from the FTCA lately, maybe I missed the news. In my area, we have several non AMA flying sites.

Anyone know how to make them FT flying sites?
Anyone heard anything regarding FTCA insurance?

I'm actually working on that at the moment. The county approved the use of the old landfill as a flying site. They're sending a grader out tomorrow to cut the runway. The FTCA is stuck for the FAA to finalize what their requirements are, but I'm not waiting until the FAA lets the rest of us know. I'm hoping to use my experience here as a template for other people to be able to copy my results.

In the meantime...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...e-holmes-county-rc-airpark.69003/#post-694151

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm actually working on that at the moment....
Great looking flying site.

We have 4 flying sites, 2 on local parks, 1 on university property & 1 on private land. One advantage of living in the middle of nowhere, you can fly almost anywhere you want. The main flying site uses a dirt runway, works great, just need to spray it about 3 times a year to keep the weeds out. Not sure if a dirt runway would work for your site or not. If you are going to have a road grader, I would highly recommend a crown in the middle of runway, just like they use in roads. You want the water to run off the runway as soon as possible, don’t let it run down the length of the runway.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Great looking flying site.

We have 4 flying sites, 2 on local parks, 1 on university property & 1 on private land. One advantage of living in the middle of nowhere, you can fly almost anywhere you want. The main flying site uses a dirt runway, works great, just need to spray it about 3 times a year to keep the weeds out. Not sure if a dirt runway would work for your site or not. If you are going to have a road grader, I would highly recommend a crown in the middle of runway, just like they use in roads. You want the water to run off the runway as soon as possible, don’t let it run down the length of the runway.

Good call on the crown.

Dirt may be a good option. I'd really be tempted to try geotex. You can buy it by the roll from Lowes for about $400.

alan0043

Alan! Sorry I missed this post.

I could have been upset with your for not coming out so much sooner.

That's ok, you can make up for it by coming down to our New Year's Day unofficial fly in, at the first FTCA flying site outside of Edgewater.

https://www.facebook.com/events/645559630215612/

That's ok, it's all good. I really enjoy watching the progress on your flighting site. I like the picture of the guys flying in shirt sleeves. :) Also the bbq grill is a nice touch. Lee told me that you and Josh go back a long way. I also watched the two podcast that you were on. I hope your flying crew appreciates all of your hard work. Please keep us updated.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That's ok, it's all good. I really enjoy watching the progress on your flighting site. I like the picture of the guys flying in shirt sleeves. :) Also the bbq grill is a nice touch. Lee told me that you and Josh go back a long way. I also watched the two podcast that you were on. I hope your flying crew appreciates all of your hard work. Please keep us updated.

Yeah, I was better acquainted with Chad at first. But I did get to meet all of them when I was their guide at SEFF in 2011.