From PDF to Laser Cutter

srfnmnk

I have my own laser cutter and I have found some software that can convert the pdfs into vector images but it's never easy to get the designs sized right and everything. Anyone have any experience doing this with some good ideas?

My current set up

aidecad trial version - converts pdfs to vector drawings
inkscape - allows user to manipulate the vectors to fit on work plane

CHALLENGE - Sometimes the parts of the plane are too large...this means I either need to scale down the plane or cut out the bigger pieces by hand, both seem fine but I have no experience with scaling vector images. Anyone have experience or thoughts with this?

Thanks.

Corbarrad

I'm working on a similr project right now. the kraken build seems to prove thatplates assembled from multiple parts hold up quite well. so I plan on dividing te parts that are bigger that the working surface of the machine.
You can also try to load the pdf directly into inkscape. most pdf plans already contain vector graphics that you can work with.

srfnmnk

Oh that's awesome, I didn't realize that PDFs could be loaded directly into inkscape. I will try that for sure.

I thought about dividing up the pieces but wasn't sure if it would hold up. I saw the kraken build and it was amazing how that much torque holds up under the stress of multiple pieces. I will probably try both, I just hate doing it as I assume a unibody is always the most stable.

Thank you for the reply.

srfnmnk

I actually don't own it, there's a lab near my house that allows the public to use a bunch of their machines.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I actually don't own it, there's a lab near my house that allows the public to use a bunch of their machines.

That will not happen in my location till about the year 3020! My area is so backwards that man just landed on the moon!;)

Thurmond

Corbarrad

That will not happen in my location till about the year 3020! My area is so backwards that man just landed on the moon!;)

Thurmond

You never know for sure. For years I'd been going "if only the was somewhere i could have access to a lsser cutter or cnc router..." until I hesrd about the fablab in my city on late night radio. turns out there's three such institutions within half an hours drive of my home and they've all been there for years...

Www.fabfoundation.org keep a worldwide list of fablabs, so go have a look.

srfnmnk

Yep yep, that's where I go, the fab lab. :) LOVE IT. 3D printers/scanners, CNC machines, laser cutter, etc.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
You never know for sure.

WE are talking a dying farming and ranching community of less than 1000. Most of the original buildings in town have been left to fall down. No Zoning, NO FAST food (DQ burned down 2 months ago and will NOT be rebuilt), 1 highway convenience store, No place to obtain durable goods, Barely 1 grocery store that sells Date Challenged Products. No Machine shop. 1 Welding shop (farm and ranch only), one feed store. Closest "City" is $50 gasoline 1 way and they do not have any maker spaces or anything of that kind. My best bet is to purchase if I can justify it to SWMBO! ;)

O yea, Only 1 person in town know ANY electronics at all (beyond those infernal I-Things). 2 in the county are Extra Class Hams. I am one of the hams but I live as far from the dying town as possible.

On the plus side I live far from any airport in uncontrolled airspace and my FAA guy told me in writing that any of my RC operations below 500' are absolutely not an issue for him and he is the one that any issues would have to come through for my area.

Thurmond

Last edited: