From the prop to the tail

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hey pilots šŸŽ®
in most if not all circumstances I build a plane that I want then fit a motor ESC and prop etc into it šŸ¤Ŗ
on this occasion I am looking for guidance on what to do with 850kv motor and 11x7 prop
1- whatā€™s best size wing span to suit this combo
2 - is this combo even practical
3 - what type of plane ( always fancied a Cub) maybe a Covid19 Cub
4 - any suggestions for a build or do I go back to what I know best
as av said pilots Iā€™ve always worked the other way šŸ˜‰

whatā€™s your thoughts

Figure9

Elite member
Hey pilots šŸŽ®
in most if not all circumstances I build a plane that I want then fit a motor ESC and prop etc into it šŸ¤Ŗ
on this occasion I am looking for guidance on what to do with 850kv motor and 11x7 prop

whatā€™s your thoughts

Thereā€™s a Simple Cub build string in progress:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...b-group-build-thread.62716/page-4#post-561003

Youā€™ll find a lot of good feedback for Cubs on that string.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I have a 60" wingspan DHC Beaver with floats running exact same size motor prop setup, its not fast but has the thrust and great climb rate for a scale plane and also has to break away from water suction on takeoff
hope this helps

Last edited:

shadeyB

Legendary member
I have a 60" wingspan DHC Beaver with floats running a similar motor prop setup, its not fast but has the thrust and great climb rate for a scale plane and also has to break away from water suction on takeoff
hope this helps

ā€˜thanks
like the sound of 60ā€ wingspan, the beaver ? is that kinda close to looking like the FT commuter plane

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
considered the aireal pickup truck of canada and alaska

Attachments

• beaverdesktop.jpg
    beaverdesktop.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0

Figure9

Elite member
thanks , had a wee look
whatā€™s your thoughts on the motor / prop size
Suggested wing span ?
should I just bench test it and start from there ?
ever really understood the numbers lol

I meant to post that telescoping box on the Cub Build string. Will delete it here for the sake of continuity.
I donā€™t have a lot of experience with the Cub design. Thatā€™s a low RPM motor & a big prop, probably a slow flyer. Iā€™m thinking a light weight about the size of a Hobby Zone Champ RTF, 20ā€. Iā€™m not really experienced enough to call it. The builders on the Cub Build string are.

Ahhh, on reading subsequent posts, @Aireal Anarchist has more reliable experience for you question. Whew. ;)(y)

SportyModder

Hey pilots šŸŽ®

whatā€™s your thoughts

I have a park 480 in the 850kv flavor.... What size is your motor?

The slightly higher kv 450 motor pulls my HZ 48" super cub with power left in reserve. A 480 with a smaller prop provides similar power in my PZ Sport Cub S2, 51" wingspan. My 60" Maule runs a much larger motor (15 size) 11x7.5 prop with a higher Kv (1050 iirc). But it is also a lot heavier and larger.