FrSky module and D8R ii binding issue, and a Naze32 question

Aeos

Hey all, been awhile. So I've got a 9XR Pro tx with a frsky DJT module and D8R ii rx. They came together in a package, should be good to go, yes? Not so much. I've tried the binding procedure 3 times now, and it still just flashes red, and indication that it's still trying to bind, I believe.
Turns out Google is not so helpful for this hobby, and the MQC on facebook isn't responding to this one either. Sooo, not sure what to do here. Not sure exactly what the 2 little switches on the back if the module are supposed to be set at. Based off a youtube vid, they're supposed to be up..oh no, wait, they're supposed to be down...Idk, but either way it isn't working. Do I need to update the firmware on my tx? The instructions say I have to turn it on to PPM, which I thought it was, but for the life of me, can't figure out in any of the menus where I saw it at. Any 9XR peoples out there know?

My Naze issue might be directly related to the rx issue, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure. Whenever I plug in a battery, it just beeps constantly, and the green light flashes. Turned off voltage alarm, as I seen that was an issue for someone else, but it still continues to beep and flash.

Are the above issues directly connected? The Naze didn't start the beeping until I soldered on the rx. The video shows what the Naze is doing. I've read that the beeps are supposed to be code you see in Clean Flight, but I haven't a clue as to what it's a code for. This is my first go with Clean Flight, so any help would be appreciated.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=8

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.php?sort=Manual&down=90&file=Manual-Telemetry Modules

According to that you need both switches off for a D series telemetry receiver.

These are the setup steps from the manual...
"...
2.1 Setup:
Follow the steps below to set up your system properly.
1) Turn your transmitter on and switch it to PPM mode. Turn your transmitter off.
2) Turn your transmitter on while holding the F/S button on the transmitter module. Release it in a few seconds. The RED LED on
the transmitter module will flash, indicating the transmitter is ready to bind the receiver.
3) Connect battery to the receiver while holding the F/S button on the receiver. The LED on the receiver will flash, indicating the
binding process is completed.
4) Turn on the transmitter and connect battery to the receiver. The RED LED on the receiver will indicate the receiver is receiving
commands from the transmitter.
After the steps above are completed, both the transmitter and receiver are ready to be used.

..."

I don't have a 9XR pro but I believe it uses a version of er9X firmware as shipped. Probably you have to configure it to know about the "external" DJT module and it uses PPM to communicate with external modules. Here are some parts of the manual which may help...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/893535796X318849X43.pdf
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/893535796X318849X19.pdf
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/893538939X288408X57.pdf

I suspect since the 9XR PRO can only use one module at once there is no configuration to select PPM mode and the instruction is more for other Txs where there might be a choice - 9X and Taranis for example.

Binding between the frSky module and the frSky receiver is probably independent except that the 9Xr provides the power to the DJT module.

Last edited:

Aeos

http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=8

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.php?sort=Manual&down=90&file=Manual-Telemetry Modules

According to that you need both switches off for a D series telemetry receiver.

These are the setup steps from the manual...
"...
2.1 Setup:
Follow the steps below to set up your system properly.
1) Turn your transmitter on and switch it to PPM mode. Turn your transmitter off.
2) Turn your transmitter on while holding the F/S button on the transmitter module. Release it in a few seconds. The RED LED on
the transmitter module will flash, indicating the transmitter is ready to bind the receiver.
3) Connect battery to the receiver while holding the F/S button on the receiver. The LED on the receiver will flash, indicating the
binding process is completed.
4) Turn on the transmitter and connect battery to the receiver. The RED LED on the receiver will indicate the receiver is receiving
commands from the transmitter.
After the steps above are completed, both the transmitter and receiver are ready to be used.

..."

I don't have a 9XR pro but I believe it uses a version of er9X firmware as shipped. Probably you have to configure it to know about the "external" DJT module and it uses PPM to communicate with external modules. Here are some parts of the manual which may help...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/893535796X318849X43.pdf
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/893535796X318849X19.pdf
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/893538939X288408X57.pdf

I suspect since the 9XR PRO can only use one module at once there is no configuration to select PPM mode and the instruction is more for other Txs where there might be a choice - 9X and Taranis for example.

Binding between the frSky module and the frSky receiver is probably independent except that the 9Xr provides the power to the DJT module.

*sigh* I do that, then restart everything, and the rx still flashes. rx's and flight controllers have been my enemy in this hobby since day 1.

Any idea on the Naze beeping?

Aeos

I'm starting to think it's beeping because of rx loss detected, according to what Hydra might be implying on Git Hub. Which brings me back to not being able to bind the rx to the module.

Aeos

Wellllll...I switched the rx to a D4Rii, and it binds, but I'm not getting it to read in CleanFlight that it is, and the beeping hasn't stopped. I'm so mad. No idea what to do now

pressalltheknobs

Are you still trying to use CPPM? Do you have a jumper across ch3 and ch4 Signal pins of the d4R-11 - the two outer pins on that side?

Have you connected CH1 signal pin (the top outer pin on the other side) on the d4R-II to the RX input header pin 1 on the NAZE32 (pin 1 is the 3rd pad after GND and +ve) and the d4R-11 CH1 GND and +ve to the RX header GND and +ve

On the NAZE32 REV5 you will also need to supply +5v power via the motor header - you can use a ESC with a BEC or some other power supply. If you use an ESC then obviously you will need to power it from a battery.

On a NAZE32 REV 6 is possible that the RX gets power from the USB port. I'm a bit confused if they took that out or it's still a feature. If yours does get power from the USB then you should NOT also provide power via the motor header while you are setting up. If it doesn't then you should.

If the RX is powered via the USB, then if your ESCs have BECs you will need to remove the center red wire crimp from the servo plugs and fold them back. There is small latch in a servo plug that holds the crimp in. You can lift it with a hobby knife and pull the wire out. If you plan on powering from an ESC BEC you will need to put one back. Imo this "USB powers the RX" thing on the NAZE32 rev 6 was not a well thought out addition.

In cleanflight you will need to select RX_PPM for Receiver Mode on the Configuration page and the appropriate channel mapping on the RX page. Since you have a 9XR PRO that may vary depending how you have set up your TX - probably the "radio" setup page in er9x. AETR1234 and TAER1234 are the two common orderings. Just chose one on the TX that suits you and stick with it for all your models unless you have good reason.

Note: if you have a NAZE32 rev 6 you need one of the latest versions of Cleanflight: Configurator 1.2.1 and NAZE32 firmware 1.12.0 should work.

Aeos

With the D4Rii, I only have black to neg pad-red to pos pad- and white to 4 soldered, and those direct into the channel 1 on the d4rii. I've got the the jumper on 3 and 4. It's getting power from the esc's.

It's the Rev5

pressalltheknobs

Seems right.

What about the cleanflight config? Does your board connect? Have you flashed the board with latest firmware and did that go successfully. Seems like it must from what you say.

Did you save and restart after setting RX_PPM? That should be all you need to do to get it to work. The channel mapping bit is just to make it work as you want.

You mentioned soldering and that may be an issue. Are you sure there's GND, +5v and no short on the signal line. Seems like your RX is powered but a short on the signal line (pin 1) would likely cause something like what you are seeing and might account for beeping.

If you are concerned that your receiver is not bound then disconnect it from the NAZE, put it back in PWM mode and plug the servo wire form an ESC (with BEC) with a motor (no prop) and battery attached into whatever channel you are using for throttle. You will need the center/red wire for this if you removed it as I mentioned above. If your ESC does not have a BEC you will need to power the RX some other way. When you plug the battery into the ESC the RX should bind - assuming your TX is turned on - the ESC should arm and you should be able to control the motor with the throttle stick. Then at least you know it's receiving signals and doing stuff.

Aeos

Problem solved. The white wire coming off of the rx was supposed to be soldered to pad1 on the fc.
It works now, but now I have new problems lol. Motors 4 and 1 don't start up at the same time as 2 and 3, and seem to be slower.

pressalltheknobs

Problem solved. The white wire coming off of the rx was supposed to be soldered to pad1 on the fc.
It works now, but now I have new problems lol. Motors 4 and 1 don't start up at the same time as 2 and 3, and seem to be slower.

Good stuff. Sorry, I missed you wrote "white to 4" in your previous post. Might have saved you some time. Oh well. You figured it out. I had it right in my previous post :)

btw: Pin 4 is UART2 IN and is used for SBUS,SPEKSAT,etc. or GPS.

Motor stuff starts with ESC calibration as far as I can tell. So do that.

You should also calibrate your accelerometer.

To tune it use "Sticks/Acro" mode or you will get strange results. "Sticks/Acro" mode is basically no mode selected except ARM. In acro mode the FC is doing the least to try and compensate for the movements.

Aeos

Good stuff. Sorry, I missed you wrote "white to 4" in your previous post. Might have saved you some time. Oh well. You figured it out. I had it right in my previous post :)

btw: Pin 4 is UART2 IN and is used for SBUS,SPEKSAT,etc. or GPS.

Motor stuff starts with ESC calibration as far as I can tell. So do that.

You should also calibrate your accelerometer.

To tune it use "Sticks/Acro" mode or you will get strange results. "Sticks/Acro" mode is basically no mode selected except ARM. In acro mode the FC is doing the least to try and compensate for the movements.

I'm fairly certain the esc's need calibrated. The motor test in CF works fine, but as soon as I use inputs with the tx, motor issues.

Hmm, sticks/acro mode? I haven't seen this in CF. Will this gentlemen's method work with LHI Emax? Or does it have to be Blheli? I didn't see it specified anywhere

pressalltheknobs

you won't see "acro" or "rates" mode (I might have made "sticks" up :) ) anywhere in the Cleanflight UI. It's the default mode. So on the Mode tab you will either have nothing because you are arming using the throttle stick or you will have just ARM mode on a switch. You should not use ANGLE or HORIZON to tune. You can configure them to activate on a switch, just don't make them the default.

Most ESCs can be calibrated by turning them on with the Throttle stick up. You wait for some beeps indicating programming mode then move the throttle stick down. You should have got a manual with your ESCs telling you how to do that and what beeps mean what. If they are a named brand and model you can probably find the manual on the internet somewhere.

ESCs that can be easily flashed with blheli or simonK are "better" for mini quads because you get more control and you can ensure that all of you ESCs are running the same firmware with the same configuration. It increases your chances of success perhaps but it's not essential. Cleanflight has a feature that allows you to flash all you ESCs at once using blheli if they can be flashed via the servo pin connector. Obviously very convenient if you ESC supports that. For that to work they also have to have the simonK or blheli bootloader installed.

Aeos

Most ESCs can be calibrated by turning them on with the Throttle stick up. You wait for some beeps indicating programming mode then move the throttle stick down. You should have got a manual with your ESCs telling you how to do that and what beeps mean what. If they are a named brand and model you can probably find the manual on the internet somewhere.

Ugh, I can't seem to get that correct. I plug in the esc to 1 on the d4r ii, and all it does is start up normal. Won't calibrate. This guy seems to have a similar setup, but mine's just not doing this: