FRSKY module for spektrum

jaredstrees

So, I have found some information on this, but I'm hoping someone can point me to the right product. I am interested in getting the module for my QX7 to bind to spectrum products. Like I said, there is plenty of info out there, I'm just hoping someone here can consolidate it for me. I don't really want to get into soldering and such, as I don't have the added time. I barely have time to build and fly some weeks. But I am thinking about a blade heli as I haven't flown a heli in quite some time would love the safe feature to aid in learning again.

So is there a specific vendor and module ya'll recommend? Thanks!

tamuct01

I second the iRangeX module. I run it in my Taranis with no issues as of yet. I primarily use it for my BNF Blade helis and OrangeRx DSMx receivers.

tamuct01

Yes, I have mine bound to Blade MSRx, Nano CPX, 130X, etc. The list of supported protocols is very extensive: https://uav-review.com/irangex-irx4-2-4g-4-1-multiprotocol-stm32-jr-module/ I also use it to bind my Taranis to the cheapy mall quads, etc. I haven't found anything it won't bind to yet.

One caveat is that the module expects to receive channels in the AETR order. This was different from how I setup all my Taranis models, so I had to go back and change quite a few model configs to get the correct channel order.

jaredstrees

Interesting. Does it change the channel order for the frsky receivers as well? Or is it just different for the other protocols?

tamuct01

No, it's weird. The channel order on the Orange receivers still comes out TAER, but the module expects AETR coming from the Taranis. It's an oddball thing, and I don't remember finding much documentation on this requirement. I suppose whoever programmed the firmware on the module itself decided that AETR was the way to go and hardcoded it that way. This is my third 'Spectrum' module for my Taranis. I tried first with one of the Orange modules and had VERY poor experience with it. For round 2 I built my own module just like this guy: http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com/2014/07/jr-dsmx.html. This worked well since I was using the Spectrum-branded Tx module from my DX6i. I think that this IRangeX module is the best of both worlds: affordable, works well, and doesn't rob bits from my other Tx.

jaredstrees

Well, I think I'm going to bite after Christmas. I see a blade heli in my future, plus I have my eye on a couple UMX planes. I see they also have a plus version that appears to have more protocols. I did not want to do a DIY as I don't own a spectrum TX, so the cost of acquiring one kind of puts me off.

Chappie66

I will add in that I am also using the IrangeX 4 plus module (serially control protocol - selection from within Taranis menu rather than rotary dial). Also has the dial, just in case I guess. Works like a charm and yes I had the same OrangeRX receiver experience, was not expecting it when the throttle got mapped to CH 1 aileron and the constant ESC beeping drove my dog insane for a good half hour until I figured it out.
I upgraded the firmware on my module, not sure that I had to...just did it anyway. Think I was looking for a Frsky telemetry fix...

Last edited:

Chappie66

Multiprotocol_V1.X.X_STM32_INV.bin files are for transmitters which require telemetry inverted in the module firmware, such as Taranis. Not sure about the QX7...

jaredstrees

Alright, I have one of the plus modules on the way! Blade 230s V2 is sitting on the table waiting on it. @tamuct01 how did you set up the transmitter to control your blade heli's? And if you or @Chappie66 have any advice or tricks to make this work seamless I'd appreciate it!

Chappie66

Alright, I have one of the plus modules on the way! Blade 230s V2 is sitting on the table waiting on it. @tamuct01 how did you set up the transmitter to control your blade heli's? And if you or @Chappie66 have any advice or tricks to make this work seamless I'd appreciate it!
Jared,

I am not a heli flyer, but maybe a good place to start is over at RCgroups:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3057702-Blade-230S-with-Taranis

I think the biggest items to address, ensure Taranis is using firmware that supports helis and the multi-module and that the multi-module has the latest firmware.

I would try the module first before upgrading, but if you indeed need to flash newer firmware check out:
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/blob/master/docs/Compiling_STM32.md

NOTE: I upgraded my firmware and I am not an avid Arduino user... I wound up using a pre-compiled bin Multiprotocol_V1.X.X_STM32_INV.bin

Last edited:

jaredstrees

@jaredstrees Here a link to my Google Drive where I've posted a Taranis model file with my Blade 180 CFX configuration. I have it setup to use my iRangex external module. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hBlzMCQklEjvkYjglDWCZGGWwjJA1xex

Let me know if you have any issues with it.
Awesome, thanks Tamuct! With all the help on here I should be good to go. Just got the email that my module has made it across the seas, now we get to see how long it takes the USPS to get it to me!

Bricks

Master member
I have a stupid question about these modules, once bound does it save that bind and programing for that particular model in the radio?

jaredstrees

That's definitely not a stupid question. From what I read that is still stored in the transmitter itself, but I'd be interested in the actual answer as well!

slipshift

I have the QX7 with the module. I had a bunch of FlySky receivers and they bind fine. Setup is the same as any TX and compatible RX except for "external PPM". Setup is saved fine, never had to rebind or reconfigure.

Jim

Sanderhv12

I also have a question...
I have a glider with frsky RX. Also taranis X9 D plus TX.
Is it possible to use this for trainer.... in combination with Spektrum DX9?

Greetings from Holland🇳🇱