Frsky receiver for arrow

Flight_RN_Bryan

I am thinking about building my first FT plane and looking at the mini arrow. I bought a qx7 and am thinking power pack a for motor and servos. What receiver would you recommend for this? Battery?

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor

Flight_RN_Bryan

Thanks. Strengths/weaknesses of those receivers. Sorry just a newb here. How do I tell what connector is on the ESC? Where can I find a replacement to match the batteries?

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Thanks. Strengths/weaknesses of those receivers. Sorry just a newb here. How do I tell what connector is on the ESC? Where can I find a replacement to match the batteries?

As a new pilot you will not notice any difference with the receivers, they are all a similar price and will do the same job for your Arrow.

If you order the A pack a from the FT store your ESC with have an XT30 connector on it. The battery I showed you has a JST connector. If you are not familiar with soldering you could always use an adapter between the battery and ESC. With that said soldering is skill to acquire if you plan on growing in this hobby. FT has a content about all of the above on YouTube. If I were you I'd be on YouTube filling up on as much information as I can. I was just speaking with someone about this yesterday, when I first started in the hobby I was watching anywhere between 20 and 30 videos a day on YouTube covering different RC topics trying to pick up tricks of the trade.

donalson

of those go with the x4 series... it's the latest and greatest series... it really doesn't matter if you go with the sbus or the 4ch version... but really if you aren't planning on going to fly with a flight controller or a mini quad just get the 4ch, you can use it on nearly every FT plane... in fact 95% of my receivers are 4ch...

down the road you'll have more/better sensor options for telemetry if you end up going that way.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I agree. The X4R offers the most useful features for a 3 or 4 ch servo plane. If you only need 3CH now and are immediately going to use the RX in a quad you might get an X4R-SB which has a pin for SBUS. The output is there on the X4R but you have to hack to get it. I would just get another RX for a Quad though...an XSR or probably an RXSR...

The only reason to get a D4R-II is because it uses slightly less power and may have slightly more range which is good for certain kinds of gliders. Otherwise it is basically obsolete.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The only reason to get a D4R-II is because it uses slightly less power and may have slightly more range which is good for certain kinds of gliders. Otherwise it is basically obsolete.

of those go with the x4 series... it's the latest and greatest series... it really doesn't matter if you go with the sbus or the 4ch version... but really if you aren't planning on going to fly with a flight controller or a mini quad just get the 4ch, you can use it on nearly every FT plane... in fact 95% of my receivers are 4ch...

down the road you'll have more/better sensor options for telemetry if you end up going that way.

I would disagree with these comments... X series receivers use Smart Port telemetry, which is definitely great, but overkill for $2 foam airframes. The D series voltage sensor is about $2, whereas the X series ones are $20+. And really, besides RSSI, what telemetry do you need besides pack voltage? Just my $0.02 :)

pressalltheknobs

The X4R and X4RSB have an A2 in so you can use the same FBVS-01 voltage sensor or you can make your own voltage divider.

So you get to use that or the fancy SPort one. I don't see any particular reason to buy a D4RII except as the ones I mentioned

pressalltheknobs

Oh...one other reason to buy a D4RII is if you have one of the FrSky D modules (DHT, DJT, DFT) since they don't work with the X, XM or S receivers, but that doesn't apply here.