Frsky receiver + voltage sensor

sztretfloss

Dear Community!

I'm looking for some beginner help. I try to jump in to fixed wing planes from freestyle fpv quads.

I want to build a Flitetest foamboard trainer, but I want to buy a good receiver for my Q X7 which can stay with me for a long time and I don't have to upgrade soon. I want a bit more channel for optional flaps later. I am eyeing with the Frsky RX6R.

From FPV I used to see my precise voltage, so I need a voltage sensor.

Which should I get? Cant figure it out, please help me..

Analog Fvbs-01

or

Mlvss
????

Thank you for your kind help for my noob question. I hope it is in the right thread.

Cheers from Hungary:
sztretfloss

Chuppster

I don't have any experience with the RX6R, but I run the 8XR on just about anything and it's been good. I have an MLVSS sensor, but I never use it. The reason for that is that it isn't particularly helpful because resting voltage, the voltage that matters, is hard to read while you are drawing a load. The TH% function is, in my opinion, a simple and effective way to estimate your flight time. I haven't used the Fvbs-01, but if it does work it looks like it'd be a lot less helpful/convenient than the MLVSS.

Just my 2 cents.

sztretfloss

I don't have any experience with the RX6R, but I run the 8XR on just about anything and it's been good. I have an MLVSS sensor, but I never use it. The reason for that is that it isn't particularly helpful because resting voltage, the voltage that matters, is hard to read while you are drawing a load. The TH% function is, in my opinion, a simple and effective way to estimate your flight time. I haven't used the Fvbs-01, but if it does work it looks like it'd be a lot less helpful/convenient than the MLVSS.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the fast answer.

TH% function is a good option, but not much better than a regular timer imo. I miss the real values from my voltage, even if it is harder to read while drawing a load. I am quite used to it, I can land my racing quad with 3.80 V every time.

I would love to learn LOS, so I need the voltage on my TX.

The real question is if a smartport enebled device (RX6R) can do anything with an analog signal.

Is there anyone out there using the MLVSS?

FDS

Elite member
They also make an FRsky ESC which reads voltage, sent via telemetry to the trans.

sztretfloss

They also make an FRsky ESC which reads voltage, sent via telemetry to the trans.
Frsky Neuron series... I know. Way too pricey and way too big for my purpose.. I wouldn't want to put it on a foamy with 18xx motor. thanks btw

FDS

Elite member
I just use a timer, it’s free, accurate once you set it up by proper testing, combined with programming my esc to cut to 75% throttle or pulse if the voltage dips to 3.5v at any point. Not puffed a single pack in 8 months flying at least twice per week.

kingstat

I have the MLVSS sensor and it worked great in combination with setting up a low voltage alarm per this link. If I were to do it over again, I would probably get the FAS40s current sensor, which can provide the voltage, current, and consumed power. Here is a good video on it.

sztretfloss

I have the MLVSS sensor and it worked great in combination with setting up a low voltage alarm per this link. If I were to do it over again, I would probably get the FAS40s current sensor, which can provide the voltage, current, and consumed power. Here is a good video on it.

Thanks for the hint, it looks quite promising. My inner weight weenie tells me that it is a bit too big for my foamies and I use XT30 on all my present batteries. Anything smaller? How can I hook this up with the RX6R? it uses a different/newer smartport connection. (sorry I'm totally noob.)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Thanks for the hint, it looks quite promising. My inner weight weenie tells me that it is a bit too big for my foamies and I use XT30 on all my present batteries. Anything smaller? How can I hook this up with the RX6R? it uses a different/newer smartport connection. (sorry I'm totally noob.)

S.Port and smartport are the same thing, that sensor will work with any X series. Some of the older X stuff could also use analog sensors, but I don't see those pins on yours, so I think you need to use an S.Port one. I have the one with the LCD, I also use it as my lipo checker regularly. You only need one, it's easy to move around.

sztretfloss

S.Port and smartport are the same thing, that sensor will work with any X series. Some of the older X stuff could also use analog sensors, but I don't see those pins on yours, so I think you need to use an S.Port one. I have the one with the LCD, I also use it as my lipo checker regularly. You only need one, it's easy to move around.

Thanks for clearing things up. They include some wires with the smaller white connector, I hope I can manage it to connect it properly.

I ordered the smaller, MLVSS, I think it will suit th RX6R perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the lovely help. I will post my FT tiny trainer build as soon as the stuff arrives.

Kind regards:
sztretfloss