FrSky receiver wont flash. Exhausted from this problem

rihardszz

It depends on how you connect the test leads to the RX. If you are manually holding/touching the test leads to the exposed header pins, and most header pins for JR connectors are about 2.5mm apart, it's easy (at least for my unsteady hands) to slip and have either the probes touch each other or one probe touch both pins, creating a short between the 5V and signal pins.

Something along the lines of this:
https://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/DC/00344.png

Ohh I got what you meant. That makes sense, yeah! At first I thought you meant, that If I measure lets say 5V pin and touch both of the testers together.

Either way now I got what you meant!

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Hello there!

This is like 7th place I post this in. I have read every single google link with related keywords. No answer. At this point im exhausted, and have'nt even tasted RC hobby yet.

So two weeks ago I received my QX7 Taranis. I had also ordered a XSR-E receiver for it.

As soon as I got my taranis, I updated open tx to the newest one and also did the same for the internal XJT module. All cool. Then I wanted to flash EU firmware for the receiver.

At first I tried the back pins in the module bay, as I fallowed a tutorial video. Later on I found out that the new QX7s have the bottom S.port for that. Tried with that. ( note! I switched the cables accordingly )

In both cases I got the error : "bottom pin no resp"

I have tried everything and read everything I could.. Nobody really seems to help me out with this, As I also dont have any friends that are in this hobby.

Pretty much im bummed out, as I dont know what to do.

Does anyone have ANY idea what could be the cause or how to solve it?
Can I fire up the receiver with a 5v battery or something just to see if it even works? I wouldnt want to solder it on the FC, cause I havent yet tested everything for shorts etc.. So that would be a bit sketchy.

FWIW: Some folks on RCG are saying there is an issue with the QX7 flashing receivers directly and that you need to flash the receiver with an adapter from a computer until the problem is fixed with the QX7.

hayebseret

Bad FW flash

Hi,
Had the exact same thing.

Bad flash (corrupted file/ wrong file) could also cause your receiver not to load up, thus you will see no leds flashing at all.

I had confirmed this by taking a normal functioning XSR, connecting it to st-liker (stm32 programer) and writing the option bytes on the chip.

Since it is probably somehow protected the leds turned off and the memory of the chip has been erased.

I know for me that the initial problem caused by a shitty sd card that came with the RC, which resulted a bad FW file.
there are also reports on people that copy the FW files from MAC to the RC, then another file with underscore is being copied which you may have mistakenly flashed and bricked your receiver.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Resurrecting this thread, in case it might help anyone doing what I'm doing... which is updating all my FrSky receivers and sensors to take advantage of any new features or fixes. I started down this road because I finally got things setup to start experimenting with the S6R receivers with the stability/flight modes and wanted to make sure they had the latest software. I figure, why not update my X4R's, X8R's, X6R's, and sensors while I was at it?

Everything updated fine except for my FAS40S 40A current/voltage sensor (I only have two FrSky sensors, with this and the high precision vario). You can think of this as a "one more pack" type of situation. You're done with the bulk of what you set out to do, but still have one more thing left over, so why up update it?

Well, it turns out the latest software just doesn't work on my sensor. Not sure if the sensor is old enough to not be compatible (it's from 2014) or there's just a bug in the FrSky latest firmware for it, but I was thankful I had a backup/old firmware and was able to restore it to that and get my sensor working again.

I detailed this here at the main RCGroups/FrSky forum area:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39108673&postcount=27

insomnizac

Just in case this helps anybody else out... mine was completely missing the pins needed to begin with smh. Also, from the picture attached, when read left to right -> the pins were: [ - , S.PT , 5V ]. ** Please note my QX7 is placed face down on the table in this picture.
IMG_5314-2.jpg

insomnizac

Use the module bay pins. Mine is missing pins as well.
http://rcdiy.ca/taranis-opentx-s-port-firmware-flashing/
Oh yeah a while back I had the problem too and contacted I think it was Ron at air pixel tek the North America service reps for FrSky and they basically said I ordered one of the initial release models and there’s nothing they could do. I’ll never be one of the first to order anything FrSky again... He said I can solder pins myself just be careful I can still close the 2 shells once I’m done... smh. Ultimately, I did just use the module bay pins and made sure I got the wires right on that because I think they’re also in a different order than most guides I’ve seen...

ivanmcp

I experienced same error message "fw update error bottom pin no resp" and as a total noob trying to configure my first quad, an Emax Hawk 5. Namely I was trying to flash FrSky XM+ receiver to the EU version as it would not bind with my Taranis Q X7S. I soldered three wires to the receiver and did a swap wire thing as per this video but received the dreaded error message "fw update error bottom pin no resp":

I then decided to use S.port which sits to the left of SD card slot on the Q X7S but use 'normal' wire sequence - from left to right 1. (L) Black, 2 (middle) Red, and 3 (R) Signal. This worked a treat and allowed me to flash successfully. Oh, and while flashing quad was not connected to the battery.

Last edited:

samarth

Hello,
I just bought my first Taranis Q X7 (EU-LBT) and I am in the process of setting up a new quad. I have the same problem "fw update error bottom pin no resp". I have a XM Plus receiver which I am trying to flash with the latest EU-LBT firmware through the S.PORT on the taranis since it came with the international firmware.
I have hooked up all the wires correctly (after checking and rechecking) and have cannot flash the firmware through the Taranis since I get the same error everytime.
I also tried using the external module port after switching the wires according, and I have the same error.

Look forward too your help on how I can flash the XM Plus with EU firmware.

Thanks

wcallaghan

after reading this thread i decided to try flashing my frsky xm+ with the s.port. i soldered a servo cable in the receiver just like you would normally do (gnd, plus, signal) and plugged it in the s.port. the gnd pin is the leftmost pin in the s.port. the update is in the sd card inside the firmware folder and by holding the enter button it has few options and you choose "flash s.port". this worked for me

Bricks

Master member
Oh yeah a while back I had the problem too and contacted I think it was Ron at air pixel tek the North America service reps for FrSky and they basically said I ordered one of the initial release models and there’s nothing they could do. I’ll never be one of the first to order anything FrSky again... He said I can solder pins myself just be careful I can still close the 2 shells once I’m done... smh. Ultimately, I did just use the module bay pins and made sure I got the wires right on that because I think they’re also in a different order than most guides I’ve seen...

Pretty amazing how they will not stand behind there product they have a problem and tell you tough luck, but we fixed it in later radios.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Pretty amazing how they will not stand behind there product they have a problem and tell you tough luck, but we fixed it in later radios.

Yeah, the whole RC industry is pretty tough on early adopters. They have so much pressure to get a low price product to market quickly that the first customers end up being the beta test group. Seen this with transmitters, motors, chargers, ESCs, kits, planes, etc. etc.

Not trying to excuse the behavior - just explaining why I see it as a "buyer beware" market for the first couple months of any product release. Really think people new to the hobby should be buying proven, widely used equipment instead of the newest thing out there unless they love tinkering and fixing things themselves.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times

Apart from it possibly not being that well documented there is no loss of functionality so there is really no complaint.

First run Q-X7s are set up to use the module bay to flash SPORT devices as is done on the X9D. Later runs implemented the dedicated SPort in the base. It was a design change because originally the SPort in the base had the pins swapped like the module bay. They realized that was stupid so they nixed the dedicated SPort feature and didn't ship with it. The dedicated port was added back in later runs once the board was redesigned to the more sensible order.

I believe the difference is built into updates of OpenTX and module bay method is disabled on QX-7's that have the populated SPort. Possibly the Sport pins are disabled by OpenTX on Q-X7's where they are not populated.

I have never heard of "air pixel tek". They are not on FrSky's list of authorized dealers https://www.frsky-rc.com/purchase/ or the service center list https://www.frsky-rc.com/service-center/ Whoever "air pixel tek" are they should have explained the difference better.

Maroš SVK

Hi All,

I have Taranis X7 and I have the same problem... "FW update error bottom pin no resp" I try to update using Taranis, but it not works. My solution is: you have to use Frsky STK tool :) I have try update FW using STK tool and it works :)

Maroš SVK

Hello,
I just bought my first Taranis Q X7 (EU-LBT) and I am in the process of setting up a new quad. I have the same problem "fw update error bottom pin no resp". I have a XM Plus receiver which I am trying to flash with the latest EU-LBT firmware through the S.PORT on the taranis since it came with the international firmware.
I have hooked up all the wires correctly (after checking and rechecking) and have cannot flash the firmware through the Taranis since I get the same error everytime.
I also tried using the external module port after switching the wires according, and I have the same error.

Look forward too your help on how I can flash the XM Plus with EU firmware.

Thanks
I have Taranis X7 and I have the same problem... "FW update error bottom pin no resp" i try to update using Taranis, but it not works. My solution is: you have to use Frsky STK tool :) I have try update FW using STK tool and it works :)