Frsky Receivers

w1lp33

For quad or plane? R-xsr is the tits. I like rotor village. There's also rotorev, rotor geeks, NG hobbies, rotorquest...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I usually use X4R's and X6R's in planes. D4R-II also works and can sometimes be cheaper. Great Hobbies also carries them in Canada

d8veh

Elite member
Why are you only interested in Frsky receivers? In case you don't know and you have an external bay in your transmitter, you can fit a 4in1 module, which will open up the possibility to use a very wide range of receivers. For Flitetest foam planes, I use the cheapest Orange receivers, which I get from Hobbyking for about $6. They seem to work very well. By the time you've bought 2 receivers, the 4in1 will have paid for itself. I wouldn't use those cheapo receivers on an expensive plane, though, just in case.

jross

Why are you only interested in Frsky receivers? In case you don't know and you have an external bay in your transmitter, you can fit a 4in1 module, which will open up the possibility to use a very wide range of receivers. For Flitetest foam planes, I use the cheapest Orange receivers, which I get from Hobbyking for about $6. They seem to work very well. By the time you've bought 2 receivers, the 4in1 will have paid for itself. I wouldn't use those cheapo receivers on an expensive plane, though, just in case.
Hi d8veh! I should have been clearer. I'm not attached to using only Frsky branded receivers. On another post, I noticed you had recommended the 4in1. I have a couple of UMX planes that use dsm2/dsmx so I ordered a dsm2/dsmx Orange adapter for my Frsky transceiver. The local flying club uses all Spektrum and turned their noses up at my Taranis. Made me chuckle. Wish I'd seen your recommendation for the 4in1 earlier. It's cheaper than the single protocol adapter I ordered. Live and learn. Why this forum is great for newbies like me.

Thanks for all the help, Boyz. Makes me feel way more confident ordering online. As much as I'd prefer to order from the US, my shipment from Flightest originating from California took over 3 weeks to arrive in southern BC. I just got an order from China in 4 days. Shipping costs were very comparable. Drives me crazy. We're supposed to be neighbours but it appears our mutual border is broken. I should probably spend more time exploring Canadian purchase options. I'd never heard of Great Hobbies until ElectiSean mentioned it. I've found a couple of other Canadian online sellers but they tend to focus on quads. They list plane appropriate equipment but it's rarely in stock.

d8veh

Elite member
I'm pretty sure that the shipping costs are substantially subsidised in China, which is why it's relatively cheap for us. Often, I can buy stuff from China where the total cost is less than the cost to post a letter to a guy in the next street.

Don't worry about what the guys in the club say about your equipment or planes. In my experience there's a lot of guys in this hobby that are very set in their ways. There is something to be mindful of though: Some of these dunderheads can invent strange rules that they believe contribute to safety. I've heard of some clubs that don't allow you to mix brands of transmitter and receiver!

Tazman

For those who use Frsky, what receivers do you prefer and where do you get them? I'm in Canada.
Hey I am in Canada to, and I just got back into the RC hobby again after 14 years, used to fly planes and Heli’s now Drones, I am getting into FPV and tiny whoops, well I thought my old Hi-tech after 14 years was out dated so I bought a Jumper t16 pro, it does every protocol and works with them all, so you have every radio in one. Paid 160US for it and its a great radio, now I can fly anything, I bought a CrossFire that uses the bay in back and has a multi protocol board internal, now if I use crossfire receivers I can get 100 km range and again it works with every protocol but of course with that crossfire module I tend to stick to crossfire receivers, but I dont have to. It’s worth the switch in radios in my opinion.

keepitup

I'm also from the great white and have used Great Hobbies numerous times. They don't seem too greedy and the service is great. Free shipping if you spend a c note. They have a lot of FT stock from power packs WR foam board in bulk to they'r clothing line. They have a warehouse in Missisauga so if ur close you can go pick them up. I have also gotten from Banggood,still waiting for that one. =)

Last edited:

Flite Risk

When using an X series Rx and voltage sensor, I love having my Qx7 read me battery voltage while in the air. the GPS sensor for altitude and speed is sweet too. i guess i just like being read to........

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have also gotten from Banggood,still waiting for that one. =)

LOL you're not the first person I've heard that from in the last 2 months...They may have a bunch of things at cheap prices, but it seems like their stuff is on the SLOW boat out of China - and that boat has to go down around the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, dock in New York, then come around Cape Horn in South America to deliver to the West Coast of the United States!

I know that's not really the case, but it sure as heck seems that way - 2 months for a delivery from Chinese Banggood Warehouse, when I've seen stuff from the HobbyKing Hong Kong warehouse show up in less than 2 weeks when it's been in stock? You have to wonder what's going on...

Sorry, slightly derailing from the topic. X4R and X8R are quite popular. The OrangeRX receivers from HobbyKing are somewhat mixed, though. Be careful which ones you're ordering; I know a lot of the early models that they had for DSM2 had range/signal problems and quality wasn't up to snuff. That's been fixed with a lot of the newer stuff; it feels like they've tightened up their QA and manufacturing a bit, but there's still a lot of the older stuff floating around in clearance sales. I don't know if the OrangeRX receivers that are FrSky compatible suffered from this as well; I've never used them. But, might be something to keep an eye out for...

Tazman

I'm also from the great white and have used Great Hobbies numerous times. They don't seem too greedy and the service is great. Free shipping if you spend a c note. They have a lot of FT stock from power packs WR foam board in bulk to they'r clothing line.
Yu
I usually use FrSky branded receivers on bigger planes that I care more about - X6R and X8R and the like - but if I can get away with 4 channels on a foamy plane I use these cheap little jobbies shipped direct from CN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-4CH-M...534371?hash=item2835286fe3:g:NrEAAOSwiNZbcq94
I am glad I avoided FrSky and that terrible mess they were doing to their customers, I love the Jjumper T16 Pro and the fact it can do all of the stuff FrSky can do and all the stuff it cannot do. It also is compatible with CrossFire something FrSky is not, crossfire is superior to the FrSky version, so I am glad for that as well, I did my homework, made a good choice.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yu

I am glad I avoided FrSky and that terrible mess they were doing to their customers, I love the Jjumper T16 Pro and the fact it can do all of the stuff FrSky can do and all the stuff it cannot do. It also is compatible with CrossFire something FrSky is not, crossfire is superior to the FrSky version, so I am glad for that as well, I did my homework, made a good choice.

I've been on FrSky since 2015 and bought 3 of their radios new - but I don't think I'll be buying any more of them. I also really don't like the direction they have gone with the new proprietary ACCESS protocol that's encrypted and locked away from anyone innovating or even building compatible generic off of it. It's a real crap move since their entire success is based on an open source community with OpenTX.

I'm not thrilled with Jumper yet either - the complaints have been slowing down in recent months, but their initial software and hardware releases had lots of problems and frequently left people high-and-dry. It does seem like they have a better handle on their hardware quality problems - I haven't dipped into the OpenTX developer forums recently to see if they are being a better partner to the community developing their software now, but it was a very rocky start.

sprzout

Mentor
I've been on FrSky since 2015 and bought 3 of their radios new - but I don't think I'll be buying any more of them. I also really don't like the direction they have gone with the new proprietary ACCESS protocol that's encrypted and locked away from anyone innovating or even building compatible generic off of it. It's a real crap move since their entire success is based on an open source community with OpenTX.

I'm not thrilled with Jumper yet either - the complaints have been slowing down in recent months, but their initial software and hardware releases had lots of problems and frequently left people high-and-dry. It does seem like they have a better handle on their hardware quality problems - I haven't dipped into the OpenTX developer forums recently to see if they are being a better partner to the community developing their software now, but it was a very rocky start.

I wonder if the reasoning behind the new protocol was done in the mindset of providing more stability to their platform, in the way of preventing cheap knockoffs that make them look bad? I dunno, I'm just guessing - I haven't heard any reasons why. The "to lock people in" argument seems kinda poor, since it's already seeming like a two-protocol front between DSMX/Spektrum and FASST/FrSky; I'm not sure why they would do it unless they're getting ready to market their own line of planes/copters/quads like Horizon Hobbies is, and try to steal market share for the BNF market.

Oh well. I doubt I'll actually get an answer on that one, and it really isn't a big deal for me to know the answer.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I wonder if the reasoning behind the new protocol was done in the mindset of providing more stability to their platform, in the way of preventing cheap knockoffs that make them look bad? I dunno, I'm just guessing - I haven't heard any reasons why. The "to lock people in" argument seems kinda poor, since it's already seeming like a two-protocol front between DSMX/Spektrum and FASST/FrSky; I'm not sure why they would do it unless they're getting ready to market their own line of planes/copters/quads like Horizon Hobbies is, and try to steal market share for the BNF market.

Oh well. I doubt I'll actually get an answer on that one, and it really isn't a big deal for me to know the answer.

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. So far as I've been able to find, there have only been 3 "off brand" FrSky compatible receivers produced - (4, 6, & 8 channel) and only the 4 channel one is still available for sale anywhere I can find. FrSky has been producing their own planes and multi-rotors recently, and doing a lot of FrSky compatible quad flight controllers (but now I'm wondering if those flight controllers were licensed or bootleg...)

Either way, I'm getting more impressed with where the higher end FlySky units are going, as well as the Jumpers, but I think it's going to be a long time before I buy a new transmitter.

sprzout

Mentor
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. So far as I've been able to find, there have only been 3 "off brand" FrSky compatible receivers produced - (4, 6, & 8 channel) and only the 4 channel one is still available for sale anywhere I can find. FrSky has been producing their own planes and multi-rotors recently, and doing a lot of FrSky compatible quad flight controllers (but now I'm wondering if those flight controllers were licensed or bootleg...)

Either way, I'm getting more impressed with where the higher end FlySky units are going, as well as the Jumpers, but I think it's going to be a long time before I buy a new transmitter.

LOL same here in buying a new transmitter. I've gotten entrenched in the Spektrum camp - I have a lot of BNFs from Horizon Hobbies, quite a few DSMX receivers, the transmitter still works just fine, and nearly everyone in my club flies with Spektrum, so if I need help, almost guaranteed someone at the field has gone through the same issue I'm looking to set up. I don't have a GOOD reason to change, especially since it would involve changing out a bunch of receivers for the new protocol. It's just not worth it to me. Besides, I like the Spektrum environment. :)

They're all transmitters; they all do the same basic functions, as I've said before on other threads, it's just a matter of what you like, ease of use, comfort/ergonomics, etc. Whatever works best for you, right? :)

Tazman

You couldnt be more wrong in regards to jumper, the radio is perfect, no issues at all, I have the T16 pro, and its a pro. OMG the radio spills excellence, not sure what more anyone could ever want or need, I bought the crossfire the top one they sell, and the range is out of this world. The radio does every single FC out there, I now just look at the quad I want and care not if it has the exact FC I was, I do always tend to pick crossfire if that. FC is available, but if not I will get the next best. There is almost no lag that I can tell, I am still fairly new, so a pro may see more lag than me, but I am flying whoops at the moment and this radio impresses me, I have 14 years of RC flying, planes and Heli’s and this thing flys all my old crap as well, like wow. It’s very easy to program and the menus are extremely intuitive. Best thing is you can program more aspects than I have ever know, including logic switches and that is amazing to me, the firmware is always getting better and the best thing is if and I mean a big if you can find an issue, it will be resolved, at this moment I can find not issues at all. It even uses 16650 rechargeable batteries so you buy what ever you want, amazon has great vast many of them, pick the cheapest or the best, they all work. It uses Hall Gimbals, and the end points are very tight and accurate. It flies like a dream, very smooth. The radio is balanced, it literally hags flat off the neck strap, that is amazing especially is you are a finger pincer I am not but its crazy the detail they put into it. Now consider this radio is very new, out of the box to have zero issues, wow. Let me say be Watchful to whom you listen to complaining most out there are not worth the listen to. Feel free to buy this radio with my seal of approval and confidence it will out perform your wildest dreams.

Flite Risk

Ive never heard of an FrSky Tx/Rx browning out durring combat at Flite Fest. I dont think the same can be said for Spektrum.
I am open to being corrected about that. (Flying in between the oil dereks is another story) The ability of FrSky to frequency hop and operate in a noisy RF environment (with other 2.4 radios) seems exceptional.