Frsky Receivers

Tazman

LOL same here in buying a new transmitter. I've gotten entrenched in the Spektrum camp - I have a lot of BNFs from Horizon Hobbies, quite a few DSMX receivers, the transmitter still works just fine, and nearly everyone in my club flies with Spektrum, so if I need help, almost guaranteed someone at the field has gone through the same issue I'm looking to set up. I don't have a GOOD reason to change, especially since it would involve changing out a bunch of receivers for the new protocol. It's just not worth it to me. Besides, I like the Spektrum environment. :)

They're all transmitters; they all do the same basic functions, as I've said before on other threads, it's just a matter of what you like, ease of use, comfort/ergonomics, etc. Whatever works best for you, right? :)
They may all be transmitters, but jumper is beyond that, you talk about switching receivers, buy a jumper and you never have to do that, as jumper works it all, I installed a crossfire, and now I do it all one receiver, I just recently got back into the hobby after 14 years, and bought the jumper, not only is it working with all the new protocols, but it works with my 14 year old stuff. I spent 160 bucks on the radio, that is cheap compared to FrSky crap, and lots of others over priced stuff that wont do half of what a Jumper T16 Pro will do, and that is without a CrossFire, add in the CrossFire and no sir not all TX’s are just TX’s, please show me one TX other than a Jumper that works them all, and works them all well, if you bought a jumper you wouldnt need buy new receivers, in fact you would never have to buy a new receiver ever again. Now I paid 160 for the jumper t16 pro, 208 for the crossfire total 368.00 for a TX that does it all, please tell me how much your currant TX cost, FrSky is not cheap, and certainly since they started this lock out crap on you all, I say abandon ship and get on the ship that will not only work well now, but for the future as well. I am not in the habit of wasting money, and from what I see the Jumper with crossfire is saving me money, time and headaches. I see all too many of you guys talking about the FrSky crap and what radio to get next and still talking about buy another Frsky to use the new stuff, really, I bought a Jumper and I am using FrSky in my TinyHawk-s, I am also using Crossfire in my BetaFPV 85x, I am also using Spectrum in lots of my older planes, and guess what, I am using the same radio, I chucked out all my countless radios I had for some of my BNF from horizon , and my older Hi-tech 9x, and now have one radio. It’s all I need and all I am ever going to need unless some new crazy new FC using some new Freq hits, and I do not see that for many more years to come and I will bet Jumper will make a new internal board like they did for all the older Jumpers to upgrade with the new freq and sell it for 10 bucks like they did for the older plain jumper t16, nice they looked after there older customers huh, unlike FrSky, anyway my 2 cents, but I think you will find it hard to argue with my logic.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You couldnt be more wrong in regards to jumper, the radio is perfect, no issues at all, I have the T16 pro, and its a pro. OMG the radio spills excellence, not sure what more anyone could ever want or need, I bought the crossfire the top one they sell, and the range is out of this world. The radio does every single FC out there, I now just look at the quad I want and care not if it has the exact FC I was, I do always tend to pick crossfire if that. FC is available, but if not I will get the next best. There is almost no lag that I can tell, I am still fairly new, so a pro may see more lag than me, but I am flying whoops at the moment and this radio impresses me, I have 14 years of RC flying, planes and Heli’s and this thing flys all my old crap as well, like wow. It’s very easy to program and the menus are extremely intuitive. Best thing is you can program more aspects than I have ever know, including logic switches and that is amazing to me, the firmware is always getting better and the best thing is if and I mean a big if you can find an issue, it will be resolved, at this moment I can find not issues at all. It even uses 16650 rechargeable batteries so you buy what ever you want, amazon has great vast many of them, pick the cheapest or the best, they all work. It uses Hall Gimbals, and the end points are very tight and accurate. It flies like a dream, very smooth. The radio is balanced, it literally hags flat off the neck strap, that is amazing especially is you are a finger pincer I am not but its crazy the detail they put into it. Now consider this radio is very new, out of the box to have zero issues, wow. Let me say be Watchful to whom you listen to complaining most out there are not worth the listen to. Feel free to buy this radio with my seal of approval and confidence it will out perform your wildest dreams.
I'm glad to hear you got a good working unit and are having success with that. Your experience seems to be more common in the last few months but is certainly not what the early adopters experienced last spring. I won't repeat what we saw people go through then - people can search the forums here and elsewhere if they are curious - no need to slam the platform if they have indeed overcome those problems. I hope they have put the quality issues behind them and aren't still working from an unsupported branch of OpenTX drifting away from the core functionality anymore.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
They may all be transmitters, but jumper is beyond that, you talk about switching receivers, buy a jumper and you never have to do that, as jumper works it all, I installed a crossfire, and now I do it all one receiver, I just recently got back into the hobby after 14 years, and bought the jumper, not only is it working with all the new protocols, but it works with my 14 year old stuff. I spent 160 bucks on the radio, that is cheap compared to FrSky crap, and lots of others over priced stuff that wont do half of what a Jumper T16 Pro will do, and that is without a CrossFire, add in the CrossFire and no sir not all TX’s are just TX’s, please show me one TX other than a Jumper that works them all, and works them all well, if you bought a jumper you wouldnt need buy new receivers, in fact you would never have to buy a new receiver ever again. Now I paid 160 for the jumper t16 pro, 208 for the crossfire total 368.00 for a TX that does it all, please tell me how much your currant TX cost, FrSky is not cheap, and certainly since they started this lock out crap on you all, I say abandon ship and get on the ship that will not only work well now, but for the future as well. I am not in the habit of wasting money, and from what I see the Jumper with crossfire is saving me money, time and headaches. I see all too many of you guys talking about the FrSky crap and what radio to get next and still talking about buy another Frsky to use the new stuff, really, I bought a Jumper and I am using FrSky in my TinyHawk-s, I am also using Crossfire in my BetaFPV 85x, I am also using Spectrum in lots of my older planes, and guess what, I am using the same radio, I chucked out all my countless radios I had for some of my BNF from horizon , and my older Hi-tech 9x, and now have one radio. It’s all I need and all I am ever going to need unless some new crazy new FC using some new Freq hits, and I do not see that for many more years to come and I will bet Jumper will make a new internal board like they did for all the older Jumpers to upgrade with the new freq and sell it for 10 bucks like they did for the older plain jumper t16, nice they looked after there older customers huh, unlike FrSky, anyway my 2 cents, but I think you will find it hard to argue with my logic.

Not buying a Jumper. No need. I have a working transmitter. I see no need to shell out MORE money for something I don't need, when the Spektrum I have now does what I want. Keeping my current radio saves me $368 by your math...

I'm not going to go into it further. You clearly have your brand loyalty and it's not worth trying to get you to see anything other than that.

Tazman

I'm glad to hear you got a good working unit and are having success with that. Your experience seems to be more common in the last few months but is certainly not what the early adopters experienced last spring. I won't repeat what we saw people go through then - people can search the forums here and elsewhere if they are curious - no need to slam the platform if they have indeed overcome those problems. I hope they have put the quality issues behind them and aren't still working from an unsupported branch of OpenTX drifting away from the core functionality anymore.
I can not speak for early adopter, most were getting a pre launch test model and many of the issues came from that group, well as I was saying you must be sure of where the posts are coming from, a pre launch version cannot be compared to a version that is in production. Next we are on the pro version, the early original version got a near free internal upgrade for 10 bucks, which brought it to a pro model, how many companies bring the original customers to the newest version for 10 bucks, furthermore how many companies make a hardware unit so upgradeable that you can switch a board out and have the latest and greatest. I have the T16 pro, the menu’s could use work, that is small, and I am sure will become more polished in months to come. Last keep in mind this radio has only been out for a few years only in comparison to FrSky and others, I would say this Jumper is blowing away the competition hands down. If anyone is looking for a new radio that basically allows it to connect to any and every FC on the market and one of the only radios that can use Crossfire with a simple plugin no extra wiring and such. This is the only radio. I am sorry for the FanBoys for FrSky, but that company did it to themselves, I personally have nothing against them, except they did something to their customers no company should have done, I have that against them. I dislike anyone that basically hurts someone, but to hurt them for profit is to me the lowest, and it was not they customers were not loyal they wanted to make their units have forced obsolescence, that is an apple model and a model all cell phones follow, I strongly suggest if we the Hobby guy, do not want this to hit us, we all start to support jumper a company that is leading the industry by making A radio that has the customers interest in mind. I really want everyone to understand should FrSky start to follow this model I would have nothing against them either and would consider them in the future as a new radio contender should they start showing the same love for their customers, and make a radio that has this kind of one radio functionality. As it stands now in my small and humble opinion, Jumper is one of the only radios anyone starting out or getting a second radio should get. I mean what do we look for in a radio. 1 functionality, Jumper has that in spades. 2. Upgrading, jumper has that with the crossfire and its multi protocol board. 3. Compatibility, Jumper has that in spades, it is the only radio I know of that can use any and all FC’s out there, including outdated RC FC’s. 4. Reliability, I can speak for the for only a few months, but it has not failed or missed a beat, it has been easy to program and easy to use for a new comer, coming into a Quad RC hobby after 14 years of being out of date in my knowledge and coming into an open source RC world, it has been fairly easy. I cannot think of anything you could even ask for, Joshua Bardwell is not using this as his daily driver, and I would think he is a very good opinion in the industry, he had only 2 complaints with the first T16 that was addressed in the pro edition, that was internal multi protocol, and Hall effect Gimbals, this was addressed and in fact they gave pretty near free upgraded to the original buyers to upgrade the original T16 to pro status. Anyway I am running on and basically getting to long winded, I am very passionate for a company that gives the customers so much for so little, I hope they never change, but if anyone remember sony and Panasonic and are old enough, they started out giving excellent products and extremely check prices to compet with Hitachi, well I think I hitachi is out of business and well the prices are out of the world now, they got the market place and now have become a money monger. There are a few companies that remain really great and really customer orientated, but not many, I hope Jumper pays attention and remains customer orientated. Thanks for listen to my long winded and possible boring post.

Tazman

Not buying a Jumper. No need. I have a working transmitter. I see no need to shell out MORE money for something I don't need, when the Spektrum I have now does what I want. Keeping my current radio saves me $368 by your math...

I'm not going to go into it further. You clearly have your brand loyalty and it's not worth trying to get you to see anything other than that.
I was not saying you should, just that it does all the protocols, I never say anyone should do anything, do not think that was my point. My point was simply if you are looking for a radio, then this is the way to go, when I read your post it looked like you were looking for a new radio, and we are comparing FrSky to Jumper, so I only said if you are buying a radio it seems Jumper is a logical choice at the moment. Hope that straightens out the miss understanding. Anyway enjoy your spektrum, I for one enjoy having one radio to rule them all. I also do not understand your point on seeing anything other than that, its not brand loyalty, its common sense, if you can show me another radio that come close to a Jumper please I am all ears, one that has a multi protocol and crossfire compatible out of the box. I am loyal to common sense maybe, but thats as far as it goes my friend.

Tazman

They started to block radios from working with newer frequencies. It’s a very large upset, I am not completely 100 percent understanding it full, but from what I have read, they have come out with a newer radio, and that radios works with X,Y and Z where as the guys with older radios can only USE X and Y. something to that effect, it was enough that at the time I was deciding on what radio to buy, I heard of jumper and saw that jumper was giving you a radio that worked with all the protocols and FrSky was doing a well that radio is out dated so buy our new radio or you wont be using the newer protocol. I believe it was done via an update, customers found out that one minute the older radio was working with all the protocols and the next the older radios could not, they basically locked the older radios out from working with a update, so if you wanted the new update for the radio you had to also accept the lockout at the same time. It was very crappy of that company. That is it in a nutshell if you are really interested you can find out more if you google it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
FrSky has come out with a new protocol - ACCESS - that is not backwards compatible with their ACCST protocol(s) they have been using for the last 8 or more years with their V, D, and X series receivers. FrSky transmitters can only run one protocol at a time - ACCESS or ACCST - unless you buy an external radio module to run the other. Existing FrSky X series receivers can be firmware upgraded to run the new protocol. I believe the firmware patches are out for all of them now, but they weren't initially available for all X series receivers when this was released last March. Older D series receivers are not upgradable to the new protocol.

This is similar to what Futaba has done every couple years to their customers, and when Spektrum first introduced DSM - but it's also a little different. When the other companies have introduced new protocols it was just a matter of time for others in the market to reverse engineer the specifications and start building compatible products. For this first time that I'm aware of, this new ACCESS radio protocol is encrypted - not just compressed - and FrSky retains the encryption keys. They say this is to prevent hijacking of a receiver in flight, but I really think it's about locking out their competition from reverse engineering the protocol and building compatible generic receivers, which is a crap move to the hobby when their success almost completely based on the OpenTX transmitter software - an open source platform they have greatly benefited from. Basically, as a company they have said "thanks for all the help community, but from here on we are locking you out".

Last edited:

Tazman

FrSky has come out with a new protocol - ACCESS - that is not backwards compatible with their ACCST protocol(s) they have been using for the last 8 or more years. FrSky transmitters can only run one protocol at a time - ACCESS or ACCST - unless you buy an external radio module to run the other. Existing FrSky X series receivers can be firmware upgraded to run the new protocol. I believe the firmware patches are out for all of them now, but they weren't initially available for all X series receivers when this was released last March. Older D series receivers are not upgradable to the new protocol.

This is similar to what Futaba has done every couple years to their customers, and when Spektrum first introduced DSM - but it's also a little different. When the other companies have introduced new protocols it was just a matter of time for others in the market to reverse engineer the specifications and start building compatible products. For this first time that I'm aware of, this new ACCESS radio protocol is encrypted - not just compressed - and FrSky retains the encryption keys. They say this is to prevent hijacking of a receiver in flight, but I really think it's about locking out their competition from reverse engineering the protocol and building compatible generic receivers, which is a crap move to the hobby when their success almost completely based on the OpenTX transmitter software - an open source platform they have greatly benefited from. Basically, as a company they have said "thanks for all the help community, but from here on we are locking you out".
Thanks for sharing that, you have a better take on it than me I just know enough to steer clear of that, reason for me buying a jumper, I have an older radio from 14 years ago, not like these open source radios, its pretty much old school, no updates, at the time was using old school channel chips, you want a new channel you change a chip, laugh out loud, does not seem like that anymore. But thanks for helping me out with the proper verbiage and proper explanation, I was on the right track, just not hitting the right idea. Thanks.

eeck62

I had one of the kids, that I am helping get into RC, purchase the Jumper T16 due to the fact it is $159 and it can support all the different receivers. Originally I was going to steer him towards the Taranis QX7 but after they changed to the new Access protocol that seemed like a bad idea. Also, I have a lot of old Spektrum receivers and now he can use those and also FrSky receivers when and/if he starts in on quads. Older, more affordable, Spektrum radios are getting harder to find and it didn’t seem to make sense to have have him purchase a new Spektrum radio. The T16 just seemed to work for his current situation.