FrSky S6R / Taranis Lite: Inconsistent Receiver Bind

dylanbeaudette

I've been having a heck of a time binding a FrSky S6R and Taranis Lite using the D16 protocol. I've updated the firmware on both units to the latest version.

The S6R is bound to the transmitter, but the signal is "lost" every ~30 seconds or so. The transmitter "finds" the S6R eventually, and control is regained for a while. Each time this happens the transmitter issues a verbal warning: "telemetry lost".

This seems to happen most frequently when the S6R is rotated, almost like the internal stabilization system is freaking-out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Phin G

Elite member
It could be that the plug to the esc connecting the two is lose and it moves and shifts to cause it to loose power and then it shifts back causing it to gain power and then bind. Thats the only reason i can think of.

bisco

Elite member
probably not your issue, but i had a problem binding a spectrum tx to a lemon rx. every time i powered up, i had to rebind.

turned out i had not removed the bind plug.m:rolleyes:

Bricks

Master member
probably not your issue, but i had a problem binding a spectrum tx to a lemon rx. every time i powered up, i had to rebind.

turned out i had not removed the bind plug.m:rolleyes:

Made me chuckle as glad I am not the only one that has done this.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
according to this...it CLEARLY states you must update your radio to ACCST so this still is not as of May access protocol ready. So unless you somehow got a Taranis lite that runs ACCST then these two things are not compatible.

Link to radio page..
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/taranis-x9-lite/

Copied direct from receiver page...

FIRMWARE

UpdateTime Version Notes File Size Download 2021-05-13ACCST D16 2.1.1 (FCC only) Fixed the issue of the telemetry update is slow when work with X20/X20S.
Note: Update is not needed for LBT mode.212KBDOWNLOAD2020-06-24ACCST D16 v2.1.01.Fixed the channel output error (uncontrolled servo movements) under certain conditions.
2.Strengthened correction and verification capability.
Note: Please update the firmware of all your radios, RF modules and receivers accordingly.SXR_ACCST_2.1.0_vtail_FCC/LBT.frk
(For users who intend to make a new model building and configuration, this firmware fits all model types. With this firmware on a configured receiver, users need to re-configure the receiver again.)SXR_ACCST_2.1.0_FCC/LBT.frk
(More convenient to use for the users who have already configured the model.)855kBDOWNLOAD

here is the link to the receivers page directly from FRsky

https://www.frsky-rc.com/s6r/

dylanbeaudette

Thanks for the suggestions, that is the correct transmitter. From the specs page:
  • Compatibility: ACCST D16 and ACCESS receivers
I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure that the transmitter and S6R are running the latest firmware. Important question: do I need to re-make models after a firmware update?

In case the S6R won't work, any suggestions on a simple receiver?

Tench745

Master member
I get this similar behavior when I'm at the bench and my tx and rx are close to each other.
This was my thought as well. If the TX and RX are too close to one another, the signal will cut in and out. Also, if your receiver antennas are near any metal or carbon-fiber parts, they could block the signal from the antenna.

dylanbeaudette

This was my thought as well. If the TX and RX are too close to one another, the signal will cut in and out. Also, if your receiver antennas are near any metal or carbon-fiber parts, they could block the signal from the antenna.

It was this EXACTLY. The TX/RX were so close that they were saturating the receiver circuitry. Keeping them > 3' apart has solved all of the problems.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks for the suggestions, that is the correct transmitter. From the specs page:
  • Compatibility: ACCST D16 and ACCESS receivers
I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure that the transmitter and S6R are running the latest firmware. Important question: do I need to re-make models after a firmware update?

In case the S6R won't work, any suggestions on a simple receiver?

Usually with FRsky when you update the firmware there is a specific file for the SD card that is matched to the firmware. Copy your current SD card on your computer with all you models and settings. format the card and copy the new SD format onto it. then take all the files in each folder of the old card and copy them to the same folder on the new format card.