FrSky Sim Adapter

Mad_Mechanic

I'm pretty sure I've seen people ask this question in various places: How do I connect my FrSky Taranis X9/QX7 to a simulator?

Most solutions involve using the trainer port, but I found out that FrSky has a product to address this. It's called the XSR-SIM USB dongle.

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/xsr-sim/

I bought mine from Aloft Hobbies for $20
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-xsr-sim.html

The way this worked for me (for planes anyway) is that you create a basic 4-channel plane in your radio and don't do any other setup. Next, you bind the USB dongle to your radio the same way you would bind a receiver.

Next, boot up your preferred sim, in my case I tried this with RC Desk Pilot. RC Desk Pilot recognized the USB dongle immediately in settings. I had to change some of the channel designations and invert a couple channels but I did all of this INSIDE THE SIM.

After that, I was able to fly planes in the sim without issue using my QX7. Took me about 5 minutes to setup!.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
What sim are you using? For velocidrone I just plug in the USB direct to the computer and it shows up as a USB joystick. I know for realflight I would have to get the interlink module to use with the USB - RF thing that realflight comes with, I got the version with the cheap radio so I just use that.

Mad_Mechanic

RC Desk pilot might work directly via USB port and cable, but wasn't the purpose of my post. My goal was to bring attention of a product that might help others use their FrSky radios with a simulator.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
RC Desk pilot might work directly via USB port and cable, but wasn't the purpose of my post. My goal was to bring attention of a product that might help others use their FrSky radios with a simulator.

Gotcha... I see now that it's wireless, which is awesome. I thought it was more like the dongles that Spektrum guys have to deal with.

Grind

I got the XSR-Sim dongle today. Bound it to my Tx easily. Downloaded Phoenix and the updates to 6.0. However, Phoenix doesn't recognize it.

I also downloaded RC Desk Pilot 2.2, but it fails to open.

Mad_Mechanic

I got the XSR-Sim dongle today. Bound it to my Tx easily. Downloaded Phoenix and the updates to 6.0. However, Phoenix doesn't recognize it.

I also downloaded RC Desk Pilot 2.2, but it fails to open.

Interesting, I'm trying to recall if I had any issues getting RC Desk Pilot to run.

I'm unfortunately not familiar with Phoenix so I can't help there.

Grind

RC Desk Pilot would "load scenery, load planes", then go to a window that looked like the Sim, with a start button, but would flash a bunch of code and then the whole window disappeared. I see that RC Desk Pilot is no longer supported, so I'm giving up hope for it.

Phoenix flat out would not recognize the adapter.

I tried another free sim, Multiflight, a German one, that I was able to connect with. However, it took a while to get the controls configured right, and it wouldn't save the settings upon returning to the game.

Clearview, worked! I used up my 700 seconds of trial flight time, and I think I might cough up the coin for the full version.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I'm going to take a stab at reviving this thread... My sim adapter died (2nd one) and I'd like to get back into the sim ASAP. I'm in the process of switching from Flysky to Radiomaster so will have flexibility on protocol. Is it confirmed that the XSR-Sim won't work with Pheonix and Realflight? Am I forced into buying a cheap wired dongle that will break yet again or go with the OrangeRX and a cheaper alternative to the real deal spektrum wireless dongle?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have the OrangeRX dongle and it works great with Aerofly RC 7 and 8 (I have a Mac, and that's the best RC sim out there for the Mac at this time), as well as Liftoff, Velocidrone, Freerider, and the DRL game (I apologize, I have no idea what it's called, just that it's associated with DRL).

Just as an FYI, though the OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 dongle is out of stock at HobbyKing, and nothing saying it will be brought back in stock anytime soon, so you may be relegated to using the Spektrum dongle instead.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
almost makes it sound like there could be a market for a 'generic' dongle that you plug your receiver into. :unsure: could probably done with a Arduino Leonardo board acting as a HID controller input device reading in the pulse widths (or serial info) from the receiver...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The dongle for my Reflex XTR sim died and they are no longer in business or supported. I found this on on Amazon and it works perfectly. Ill assume it works as well on the other supported sims it claims to be compatible with too. I haven't even looked at the disc that came with it but I believe that is supposed to have real flight and possibly others as there are several keys printed on the disc label.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8QT69F/?tag=lstir-20

FL_Engineer

Elite member
The dongle for my Reflex XTR sim died and they are no longer in business or supported. I found this on on Amazon and it works perfectly. Ill assume it works as well on the other supported sims it claims to be compatible with too. I haven't even looked at the disc that came with it but I believe that is supposed to have real flight and possibly others as there are several keys printed on the disc label.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8QT69F/?tag=lstir-20
Thanks, I was using a similar model that appeared to be well constructed but the light went out the other day never to return. I may give this one a shot. I'm old school and don't mind the cord anyway.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks, I was using a similar model that appeared to be well constructed but the light went out the other day never to return. I may give this one a shot. I'm old school and don't mind the cord anyway.

I dont think I can function without having something to trip on hehe