Frsky Taranis X9 Lite S compatibility with Horizon Hobby PnP models?

dyllan.duran

Hey guys sorry if this question has been beat to death, but I can't find any specific answers. So as far as I've gathered Horizon Hobby owns Spektrum, therefore a lot of their models are tailored to those feature sets (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm wondering if I got the X9 Lite S, would I be able to use Frsky receivers in those models (specifically the PnP models) or do I need to go buy a Spektrum transmitter and receiver. And how would I go about choosing which receivers to buy, is it just based on channels needed? And finally would a Frsky receiver work with FT Power kits? Wanna make sure everything will mesh together nicely before I start buying parts to build. Thanks everyone appreciate it!

dyllan.duran

The protocols for Spektrum and Frsky are different and incompatible. You can get a multi-protocol module for the X9 Lite that will allow it to talk to many protocols including Spektrum DSM2/X. I believe you need this one for the Lite as it doesn't have the standard JR module bay: https://usa.banggood.com/IRangeX-IR....17&akmClientCountry=America&cur_warehouse=CN

Multi-module site: https://www.multi-module.org/

Is it correct to assume that the ins/outs of the different brands of receivers are standardized? Like if I had an E-flite BNF model, to use it with a Frsky transmitter without the module you linked, I'd simply swap out the Spektrum receiver for a Frsky one? There wouldn't be any compatibility issues between connectors?

tamuct01

Correct. You can swap out the receiver in a BNF model. For instance, I have an E-Flite Night Radian that came with an AS3X/SAFE receiver. I removed that and installed a FrSky receiver. I don't have the stabilization, for a docile motor glider...who cares? The connectors from receiver to servo are the standard 3-pin connectors that everyone uses, so that's not an issue.

danskis

Master member
As tamucto01 indicated almost all brands of transmitters/receivers have their own protocol and are incompatible with other brands...there are a few exceptions, mostly with FlySky, RadioLink and old FrSky stuff. So as long as you put an FrSky compatible receiver in a plane it will work. BUT don't assume the E Flite SAFE will work.

Installing the multi-module on your transmitter will let you use almost any receiver, but again, you might not be able to get SAFE to work on E Flite models.

If you buy a multi-module don't buy a cheap one, its worth buying an expensive one - ask me how I know.

Bricks

Master member
The AS3X receivers are a complete receiver, gyro system, they will not work with any other receiver or protocol it has to be DSMX DSM2 radio. Changing or adding a different receiver negates any of the AS3X advantages as the receiver has to be pulled and changed out..

danskis

Master member
The AS3X receivers are a complete receiver, gyro system, they will not work with any other receiver or protocol it has to be DSMX DSM2 radio. Changing or adding a different receiver negates any of the AS3X advantages as the receiver has to be pulled and changed out..
Bricks is right but my FrSky with a module works well with spectrum receivers…but I haven’t tried it with as3x receivers

tamuct01

I have a Spektrum AR636A receiver that came out of the E-Flite Night Radian. The "A" receiver means that it has v. 2.x firmware, SAFE mode, and is installed with a model setup from the factory. I was able to flash it back to the 1.x firmware (AS3X only, no SAFE) and control it with my Radiomaster TX16S with the multi-protocol module. You need the programming cable from Horizon and the setup software to program your plane's servo setup, AS3X stabilization gains, etc.