FrSky Taranis X9D compatibility with WFly recievers

mrkelkel

I currently have an RC Cessna 182 and a tricopter and both of them utilize a 4 channel receiver from WFly (WFR04S). I plan to upgrade from my current 4 channel transmitter (WFT06X-B) to a better one. I currently have 2 options, the WFly WFT09SII and the FrSky Taranis X9D. The Taranis seems to be the better option, with telemetry and all, but I don't want to waste my 2 WFly recievers and buy new FrSky receivers.

So, is the Taranis X9D compatible with the WFly WFR04S receiver, or even other WFly recievers?

Last edited:

Rubicon

Unfortunately no those receiver are not compatible to the Taranis.

The protocol that frsky uses id FASST and the protocol that wsky uses id flaspeed.

If there where a spektrum compatible module that you could find for it then you could us that in the taranis module bay. But the internal transmitter will not bind to those receivers.

mrkelkel

Thanks! I'll probably buy the WFT09SII. After all, I can use telemetry with the 3DR.

Also, will the Turnigy 9XR bind with the WFly recievers? It looks like a good choice.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Thanks! I'll probably buy the WFT09SII. After all, I can use telemetry with the 3DR.

Also, will the Turnigy 9XR bind with the WFly recievers? It looks like a good choice.

The 9XR is module-based, so if you put a WFly Tx module in it, then yes.

The Taranis ALSO has a JR-style module bay, in addition to its internal FASST module, so you're not completely tied down to the FrSky stuff. You could pop in an OrangeRx module and fly DSMX Spektrum stuff even, which is what I did at first with my 9XR.

Now I have a FrSky module in my 9XR and it works like a charm. The 9XR is a great way to get into a decent programmable radio for not much money.

I'm looking at upping to the Taranis myself, so I'll be selling my 9XR soon. PM me if you're interested.