FrSky telemetry or OSD

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm thinking of doing the conversion to FrSky on my (ER9x flashed) 9x for extra range for FPV. I've not had any range issues, but want to do it as a precaution. I'm trying to figure out whether to get the normal, cheap DIY kit ($15 from HK) or the telemetry enabled one ($22). Because I'm planning on using it for FPV, I'd rather have info on the OSD (which I haven't sourced yet) rather than on the tx screen or another screen added to the tx system. Does anyone have any insights into this?

Another feature that I really like about FrSky is that it beeps at you when you're pushing your control range. Does it do this with non-telemetry tx/rx?

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Another feature that I really like about FrSky is that it beeps at you when you're pushing your control range. Does it do this with non-telemetry tx/rx?

Its nice and quiet with non telemetry receivers :)

I purchased 2 $15 kits and then changed my mind and purchased 2 of the Telemetry DIY kits purely because it gives me more options as far as receivers go. I'm using both type of receivers. Well that's my 2 cents worth

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK. Do you need anything in addition to the telemetry rx to get signal strength beeping? That's really the only feature I want, because you can do the rest through the OSD...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Yes that's correct. All you need to do is install the DIY Kit and bind to a 2 way receiver and you're good to go :) Thomas' Teksumo would beep all the time and I moved the receiver antennas around and no more beeping. So its handy in more ways than one. OSD for serious FPV is the way to go :)

MrClean

Another nice thing is you can get the screen display, get the dr8 plus telemetry receiver and it will feed flight RX voltage values back to you. Supposed to be able to set up a different set of beeps for that for when it gets low. Add a second probe voltage sensor and you can monitor your propulsion pack or FPV pack should they be separate and if you desire. I plan on putting one of these on my gasser engines so that I can monitor flight pack and ignition voltage by just turning things on.

I didn't know about the telemetry beeping till I was in the air the first time. Passed range check with no beeps. Got out there a ways and received the occasional beep. No loss of control noticed, just the odd beep at times of similar orientation and range. I was already turning around to come back anyways.

hans

Yes you need the telemetry receiver for the beeping to work.

Since you like the beeping: If you want a quick and easy way to do more with the rx/tx rssi signals you get with that receiver you could also look into adapting your module to transmit this information over bluetooth to android. Check the frsky android dash project. It lets you configure alarms but also speak voltages and any derived value you can think of. Hub support is coming and we will look into custom protocols in the near future. No need for a screen then.

I posted an article here about adding bluetooth to a DJT/DFT module, should be similar as long as you know the pinout.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
UPDATE: Finally received my FrSky combo from HK. I bought this after losing signal while leaning over my tx too much while flying behind me. I also bought a G-OSD and thought I'd be able to see RSSI, however it turns out the D8R-II PLUS can't do this with standard firmware (please correct me if I'm wrong) without soldering in a diode or updating the firmware. Argh! I should have done my research more thoroughly. There are too many FrSky rxs on the market... Anyhow, at least I'll get beeping in lieu of an RSSI on the OSD.

One other thing is I've removed my FMA copilot stabiliser because I don't have room :( GPS needs 5V, and the G-OSD doesn't supply it. I could make a Y cable for the rx power input, but I've already removed the stabiliser. More room in the canopy now I guess...

At least I'll have a better system. I hope it's a better system...