FrSky X-lite and XM+ reciever help

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
As I said, you can skip setting up the input screen, and just use the switch as the source in the mixer screen, but it works both ways. This is one of the best and worst things about OpenTx, there are many ways to do the same thing. In any case, you should see that channel move on your Tx channel monitor screen. If that's not working, there is a problem in your Tx config. If it is working, it should also be seen in the receiver tab in Betaflight. Channel 5 is Aux 1, channel 6 is Aux 2 etc. If it's working in your channel monitor screen and not in Betaflight, it's probably a problem with your receiver, though that's not something I've seen before. If all of that is working and BF isn't behaving properly, it's probably not set up correctly in the modes tab. If you can post a screenshot of your modes tab we can figure out what's happening.

silvrrubi592

As I said, you can skip setting up the input screen, and just use the switch as the source in the mixer screen, but it works both ways. This is one of the best and worst things about OpenTx, there are many ways to do the same thing. In any case, you should see that channel move on your Tx channel monitor screen. If that's not working, there is a problem in your Tx config. If it is working, it should also be seen in the receiver tab in Betaflight. Channel 5 is Aux 1, channel 6 is Aux 2 etc. If it's working in your channel monitor screen and not in Betaflight, it's probably a problem with your receiver, though that's not something I've seen before. If all of that is working and BF isn't behaving properly, it's probably not set up correctly in the modes tab. If you can post a screenshot of your modes tab we can figure out what's happening.

And, you are correct. And this is why it didn't work, I guess.
I had it set up on the Input page first, then setup the mixer page - and my mixer page looked just like this example.
I had to delete both occurrences of the 3 position switch, then set the mixer, THEN I named it on the input......and NOW it has it's attitude adjusted and it works.

And, for good measure, I followed Bardwells instructions for setting the control endpoints. Do they just not bother with those on Spectrum? Or did TJ skip that assuming only knowledgeable/pro pilots would buy/build a Gremlin? The stuff they left out of the build video could fill a damn book!!!

Any ideas on how to check a non functional ESC? I apparently killed it in a low speed crash trying to diagnose the FC jitters. The motor works on another ESC, so it's either the ESC on that corner or the FC on that corner. Suggestions?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Setting the channel end points has to be done on every receiver, they are always slightly different. Sometimes identical receivers can be vastly different, no idea why. You're correct that the build video is lacking, but to be complete would take hours and hours... Pretty much what Bardwell has devoted his career to ;)

As to the ESC... If you have another working ESC you can install it in place of the suspect one and if your problem is solved you know it was the ESC. If not, it's the FC. Even if it's an ancient huge plane ESC it will work with the others (at least temporarily) just set your ESC/Motor protocol to PWM.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Actually, this helps a lot. It proves my point that the switches have to be set up on 2 tabs in the Tx. My arm switch would not work until I added it to the mixer tab. Thank You!!

EDIT: hmm I guess there were more posts I didn't see...Still this may be useful to you...

No. Switches or for that matter any control does not have be "set up on 2 tabs". INPUTS are useful but optional.

However, it is the case that there are multiple tabs you can use to set up a model. The tabs allow you to navigate to all the different aspects you can set up relatively quickly. In general Tabs gather together all things you need for the particular aspects they address. II you are not using that aspect of the model configuration you can generally just leave that tab alone. The only tabs in the model editor you must edit are the MODEL SETUP (to bind the Receiver) and MIXER (to connect controls to the channels you need to use). Even then you get the first four channels set up to use the sticks by default so if that is all you need, then you only have to bind the receiver.

To have a channel move you need at least one line in the MIXER for that channel. That line should be configured with the control you want to use to move the channel...a stick, a switch, a pot/slider ...or other things that can act as controls. You can use the raw switch in the Mixer or you can use INPUT to modify what the switch does and use the INPUT in the Mixer.

Controls include the physical controls...Sticks, Pots, Sliders, Switches...and other things like Telemetry which is why the field is called "Source". Control values typically vary between -100% and +100%

To have a switch control a channel you just need to set it as the Source field of the mixer line and the channel will move between -100, 0 and +100 assuming it is a 3posn switch.

So setting up a simple mutirotor with a 3 value mode channel is pretty much trivial.
1. Create a model and bind the receiver. This gets you the 4 basic channels set up on the sticks.
2. In the MIXER add a mix line for the mode channel (generally CH 5 or CH6) and set its Source for the 3 position switch you want to use.
3. Done!

Here is a simplified view of how a control is linked to a channel ...

Control->[INPUTS->][TRIMS->]MIXER->OUTPUTS->Channel

Briefly...
OUTPUTS are used to set the channel center and limits ...mostly useful for direct servo control
MIXERS are used to connect and combine the controls used to move each channel... one mixer line is required to move a channel and the control is set in the "Source" field. Combining controls is mostly useful for models that use control surfaces.
TRIMS are applied to the associated Control before the MIXER. They are implicitly associated one to one with the Sticks but may be ignored or optionally associated with any control.
INPUTS are optional and are used modify the values that a raw control emits to limit/change its effect and easily select between several alternative modifications. ...used to modify the default control outputs eg: rates and expo. They also allow you to associate trims with controls enabling cross trims or the re-use of trims to adjust other things.

The most common application of INPUTS is to set up "Rates" and "Expo" with the sticks. This is why the default model creates INPUTS for the sticks. You can certainly use INPUTS to modify the values that a switch delivers...if you want it to send +80, +10, -66 say or you want to combine two switches to send more than 3 different values...

For example this INPUT produces 7 values (-100, -66, -30, 0, 33, 66, 100) in order from 2 switches SA which sets the value and SB which sets which of the 3 banks of values to use.

I5:Mode SA Weight(+33) Switch(SB^) Offset(-66)
SA Weight(-33) Switch(SB-)
SA Weight(+33) Offset(66%)

You may or may not like the way the two switches combine in this example but if you know how you want them to combine then you can create something that you will like. (Note: leaving SB off the last line is deliberate to create a default to ensure the INPUT is always active. An INPUT with no active line will HOLD its last value.)

The advantage of INPUTs are that they allow you to share the same modification across multiple mix lines and channels in the Mixer..setting rates for two Ailerons channels is the obvious example. While you can do the same math in the MIXER (but you have to account for the trims), INPUTS help keep the mixing simple. This advantage is less apparent for multi-rotor setups because generally they require no actual mixing, just the basic control hookup.

Last edited: