Bifi.baarlo

On the surface, both the i6x and i6 are the same radio. The only difference is that the i6x includes updated firmware to let you use up to 10 channel receivers, whereas the i6 only supports 6 channels

Jade_Monkey07

If you search youtube theres a bunch of videos on how to update the i6 to the i6x firmware. I'm just waiting on the connection cable to update mine.
I dont really care about the 10 channels but it also adds timers and a few other goodies.

CthulhuJon

I just did the i6 firmware update. got 14 channels though I don't really need more channels, but the Timers, and battery alarms are nice new features though. More mixes would have been nice, but it still only has 3 on X or upgraded i6.
(Note:- you can sort of use elevon mode as an extra mix)
If you have neither i6 nor x and are buying one, buy the X to save you some trouble.
If you already have the i6, buy the data cable and do the firmware upgrade to get basically the same thing as i6x

Jade_Monkey07

I just did the i6 firmware update. got 14 channels though I don't really need more channels, but the Timers, and battery alarms are nice new features though. More mixes would have been nice, but it still only has 3 on X or upgraded i6.
(Note:- you can sort of use elevon mode as an extra mix)
If you have neither i6 nor x and are buying one, buy the X to save you some trouble.
If you already have the i6, buy the data cable and do the firmware upgrade to get basically the same thing as i6x
Which firmware did you use?

Foamforce

does fs-i6 x have the few other extra goodies like battery alarm and timer etc

It does have battery alarm, assuming that you also use the battery voltage sensor connected to your receiver, but it doesn’t have the timer.

The i6x works well for buddy boxing, the i6 doesn’t work as well. When you buddy box with the i6, it just dumbly passes the signal from the trainer control straight through the trainer without applying any of the settings or trim from the trainer, so you have to exactly duplicate every setting from the trainer to the trainee. Also, it means that the trainee has full control over all the switches, which isn’t desirable. The i6x works as expected and just takes the inputs from channels 1-4 from the trainee, but then applies all the settings from the trainer so you don’t have to do any setup on the trainee controller.

Lastly, from a tear down online, the i6x has a different processor and I think more memory. That allows it to run a ported version of OpenTX which apparently gives you a lot more options than the upgraded i6.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
Lastly, from a tear down online, the i6x has a different processor and I think more memory. That allows it to run a ported version of OpenTX which apparently gives you a lot more options than the upgraded i6.

Do you know if the OpenTX will allow more mixes? Just doing Flaperons eats all three.

CthulhuJon

does fs-i6 x have the few other extra goodies like battery alarm and timer etc

If you upgrade the firmware, with one of the open source firmwares, even the i6 has timer.
I have my timer set to start when I use One switch. And cancel button stops it. So I can use it per flight as a flight timer or as a rough battery timer.
If you use the ia6b receiver and add-on rx telemetry module (I think it’s called fs-cat01), you can get receiver battery level and altitude also.

Last edited:

Foamforce

Do you know if the OpenTX will allow more mixes? Just doing Flaperons eats all three.

At 3:42 it shows the mixed screen which seems to say that it supports up to 32 mixes. I might be misreading that though.

Reactions: Inq

danskis

Master member
Some of those 32 will be on virtual channels - but the standard mixer will handle quite a bit. On the flaperons for my DLG I must have 5 mixes for each wing.

CthulhuJon

There are some tricks to do to make i6 work for crude dlg. But you won’t get 5 mixes per wing.
mix 1. Master ch1, slave ch3
Mix2 master ch3, slave ch1
Mix 3(launch switch) master ch6, slave ch4 or ch2 depending wether you want right rudder or up elevator for your launch switch (

this setup means throttle controls flaps. One switch (momentary) for rudder or ele at launch mode.
Also one more switch to control throttle hold can be used for a flap camber setting switch or manually use the flap-stick for camber.

Its not the greatest dlg setup. But works for beginner setup or small model. It’s about the best you can do with stock i6.
for a Proper setup you’ll need different tx or open-tx

Last edited: