FS-i6s, Jumper T16, FRsky X-lite

bracesport

Legendary member
I plugged the T16 in and set up a couple of models (YAY) - a Versa wing and a DLG and so far so good with the mixes I think - I don't have my Rx with me here in China so I can not check the binding, but at this point, I have set the external to 'multi-flysky-std' so we will have to wait and see on that. I also plugged the T16 into the RC7 Sim and set up a further model called 'simulator' with the rates at 50% and Expo at 30% and all is sweet with the powered glider on the slope! :D

Once I check whether I have my mixes right and the binding on, I will post some screen grabs of the setup learning to date - the rates were easy to assign to the switches, so at this point day one, I am pretty impressed!

FDS

Elite member
The hard part is getting the hang of the workflow in open TX. I don’t think it’s any harder to set up and bind a model in that vs a preset TX, it’s just a different order.
You can make it as simple as you want, once you get the flow. If you don’t want more than 4 channels, 2 sets of rates and a throttle cut then you can have that and a solid bind to any RX in under 10 mins.
If you want 16 channels of all singing all dancing multi mode mayhem and GPS then a bit more time and you can have that as well.
Show me a pre program fixed protocol radio under $150 that can do both those things ON ANY RADIO PROTOCOL without hacks. It’s genius IMO.

bracesport

Legendary member
I found the correct FS AFHDS 2a protocol - I think!

IMG_6921.jpg

FDS

Elite member
That looks like it.
If you are not using all 16 channels try dropping the channel range to 1-8 and see if the latency goes down.
Also set the fail safe. I use No Pulses simply because my Taranis is doing my quads.
You can have no pulses (everything centred, throttle zero,) hold, (last position before signal loss) or custom (you set the controls in the positions you want.)

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - I currently use the iA6b Rx (six-channel) - if I go to iBus does it expand to 8ch? If so that would be great for adding twin servo flaps on my Pheonix? For iBus, can you just plugin the extra servos?

FYI - do you make the throttle cut on a switch for flying or for safety on the ground - or both?

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
It’s the transmitter that was restricting your channels, so if you have an 8+ channel AFHDS 2A receiver and you hook it up to your T16 you can use all 8 channels. You would have to channel hack the FSI6s to get the extra channels. IBUS is just the method the TX uses to communicate with a Flight Controller or another RX/satellite.
I put the throttle cut on a shoulder switch for all my planes just like the arm/disarm on my quads, so then I know both are off in the same position. It’s for ground safety, land, kill throttle, walk out to the plane, put the TX on the ground (I have a stand on the back) then un plug the battery. Also if you shed a firewall in flight or some other engine mishap a throttle cut is handy.

bracesport

Legendary member
so I did a bit of research and attempted to mix a throttle cut.

there is a switch that kills the throttle - there is a logic statement that says if the throttle and elevator sticks are bottomed out, and the elevator stick is held for 3 sec, a reset of the switch will re-engage the throttle stick - works like a charm! :D

IMG_6935.png
IMG_6936.png

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - the good news is the T16 bound with the FSiA6b perfectly - the bad news is my throttle cut locked with the prop at full noise - YIKES - I will have to sit down and quietly revisit this one!

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - I would like to say the prop was off! :eek: Luckily no damage (or injuries)!

Question - do you use the standard open TX companion for the Jumper or do you just program directly on the TX?

FDS

Elite member
No idea, I have used Companion on the T12, it has Open TX 2.2.2 on, the T16 is Jumpers branch, there’s more about setting that up on Painless 360 I think.
My son hasn’t bought his T16 yet, he got a new 3d printer first!

bracesport

Legendary member
Plenty of research over the weekend

the T16 is a piece of cake to set up, for me (as a nube generally on all things RC) it is the mixing where the magic happens.

painless 360 has some nice guides for some basics on mixing with open TX, but I think we (on the forum) can collectively help each other with this, and maybe, we can look at a couple of setups in detail and compare notes? :cool:

what do you all think?

FDS

Elite member
I don’t have Jumpers companion software. I also do most of my set up on the radio simply because I have to use my wife’s computer, I don’t own one!
I think a comprehensive thread here would be good for people searching for information, maybe do a complete “how to” set up for both on the radio and the companion?

bracesport

Legendary member
what I was hoping to do was run the T16 on the OTX companion on my mac!

so with a bit of geeking, I downloaded the companion for mac, and plugged in the T16 - here is the result - you can see that one of my models is on the T16 screen (this model is called 'simulator' for use with my aerofly RC7 sim) and with the companion on it is reading the models and the model data on the sim is correct (all mixes functioning on the simulator).

next, I created a new model on the companion called 'test from sim' and using the 'write models and settings to radio' option I saved the new model to the T16 (shown in the folder 'Phils fleet'!

this gives me another option to fiddle with model profiles on my computer - Awesome! :cool:

IMG_6946.JPG
IMG_6944.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG
IMG_6952.JPG
IMG_6953.JPG
IMG_6949.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
what is great about the OTX companion on the computer is the setup of new models, and in my opinion, faster navigation than programming new models on the Tx - this is not to take away the brilliance of the Tx as it is superb in my opinion!

I noticed that the voice alerts in the Jumper T16 SD card lacked some basics like 'flap positions' and 'throttle disable/enable' - this was easily rectified by downloading some OTX options and looking for what I wanted - needless to say, I have now copied them into the SD card.

from my view, Andrew Newton has all the no-fuss setup guides for OTX that are all relevant to our Jumper TX units - I have been replicating his basics and will post the mixes in this thread - what really impresses me is the companion (Simulator) even leverages the voice alerts!

The great think about OTX is that going forward we can even share our settings as everything that is relevant to the Tx is in one folder - I will share my files willingly (Just remember I am a nube)! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
my first T16 video - this just gives a quick overview of the Jumper T16 SD card contents running in the OTX companion and simulator - these model settings were created and debugged on the companion - 5ch powered glider with flaperons, V tail mixing, and a throttle cut.

Reactions: FDS