FS-i6s, Jumper T16, FRsky X-lite

bracesport

Legendary member
The good news is that the companion sent the data to the T16 - the bad news is I messed up one of the mixes for ch2 and ch4 - (it is my V tail mix) probably a nube glitch! :D

412041D8-85FA-4360-851B-6DB188482F64.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

bracesport

Legendary member
I found with the companion that I can not edit the screen setup and widgets for the T16, so at this point I set that up for each model on the T16 then send those setting to the companion. That works well!

I also spent some time on @rockyboy ’s OTX thread (including links) - my biggest take-out related to getting started is that I need to shift my mixes to the input screen, and spend some time on GVARs! :cool:

Reactions: FDS

bracesport

Legendary member
so I am in love with the Jumper T16 and all thing OTX! :LOL:

this is a fantastic resource for OTX and as a nube takes some reading, but I have learned heaps - http://rc-soar.com/opentx/index.htm

I have been focused on setting up glider profiles based on my v2 DLG that I am home building with heaps of input from @flyboa. What I love about flyboa is that he has everything down to the essence in all that he does, and I think he has taken the FB DLGs to great heights - my ship will be heavier than his, but for my stage of flying that might be a blessing (I am expecting some hard hits)!

For the TX and Rx I am certainly adding too much complexity for my flying skill level, but I am a bit of a hacker, so what can you do!

below shows my basic screen settings on the Jumper T16 - 8ch and trims showing with voice alerts - note at the bottom middle the rates are also showing (I am not sure how that happened), I think it is just picking up the flight mode labels.

1- I have the 'rates' on swA (100, 80, 60).
2- and 'flight modes' on swB - the flight modes add camber or reflex.
3- I put 'snap flaps' on button 2 with tuning available on S1 rotary.
4- I put 'air brakes' on the throttle (push to slow down) - the voice is still calling crow (as I have an aileron/flaps version for my Pheonix hybrid).

Issues to solve - my 'snap flaps' do not adjust with the 'rates', and while the rotary adjuster is working it is inverting the mix when adjusted over its centre position.

the attached video shows the above features which I built using the companion - the companion makes for fast building of the profiles and easy transfer to the T16 - the T16 is great for tweaking, and then the radio settings can be transferred back to companion! Nice! :cool:

IMG_7036.JPG

Last edited:

Mad_Mechanic

so I am in love with the Jumper T16 and all thing OTX! :LOL:

this is a fantastic resource for OTX and as a nube takes some reading, but I have learned heaps - http://rc-soar.com/opentx/index.htm

I have been focused on setting up glider profiles based on my v2 DLG that I am home building with heaps of input from @flyboa. What I love about flyboa is that he has everything down to the essence in all that he does, and I think he has taken the FB DLGs to great heights - my ship will be heavier than his, but for my stage of flying that might be a blessing (I am expecting some hard hits)!

For the TX and Rx I am certainly adding too much complexity for my flying skill level, but I am a bit of a hacker, so what can you do!

below shows my basic screen settings on the Jumper T16 - 8ch and trims showing with voice alerts - note at the bottom middle the rates are also showing (I am not sure how that happened), I think it is just picking up the flight mode labels.

1- I have the 'rates' on swA (100, 80, 60).
2- and 'flight modes' on swB - the flight modes add camber or reflex.
3- I put 'snap flaps' on button 2 with tuning available on S1 rotary.
4- I put 'air brakes' on the throttle (push to slow down) - the voice is still calling crow (as I have an aileron/flaps version for my Pheonix hybrid).

Issues to solve - my 'snap flaps' do not adjust with the 'rates', and while the rotary adjuster is working it is inverting the mix when adjusted over its centre position.

the attached video shows the above features which I build using the companion - the companion makes for fast building of the profiles and easy transfer to the T16 - the T16 is great for tweaking, and then the radio settings can be transferred back to companion! Nice! :cool:

View attachment 138294

I think FrSky needs to be VERY concerned now. In my opinion they need to stop pushing their new ACCESS protocol and their new cheap X9 Lite and instead they need to bring to market a transmitter like this with a nice BIG color screen.

Mad_Mechanic

For $150 and it's multi-protocol support (so I can keep all my FrSky receivers), it is REALLY hard to argue with the T16 as an affordable piece of gear. It's a real shame I bought my QX7 earlier this year, but at the time the T16 wasn't out yet, in fact I don't know if it had been announced.

I might have to pick up one of these T16 radios as that nice big color screen is very attractive.

bracesport

Legendary member
I fixed the 'snap flaps' to be affected by the 'rates' - ch10 has the GVAR for the flight modes - ch12 is the adjuster for fine-tuning the 'snap flaps' in-flight if necessary - 6p2 (button 2) activates/deactivates the 'snap flaps' - the term used in OTX is cascading mixes. :D

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 6.15.20 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
wow, I opened an OTX setting from 'rc-soar' into companion for a competition glider with lines and lines of mixing and special functions - this is well beyond my competence but does show how powerful the OTX system is - essentially while flying you can have adaptive trim settings for just about all of the controls available (mind-blowing)! :D

for me, I will keep it simple to get started (the nerd in me wants to fiddle)! :p

bracesport

Legendary member
the FRsky G-RX8 is pretty cute alright (compact) - I was primarily looking for an 8ch RX to handle a full setup sailplane with flaps taking it to 7ch (just passed the 6h Rx's I currently have) - this weeks challenge is to get it to bind to the T16 and follow Andrew Newtons setup guide to enable the vario! :cool:

IMG_7112.jpeg

Attachments

• G-RX8 ACCST -Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - I had a quick trial binding session between the T16 and the (FRsky) G-RX8 - no joy actually! :( It is possible I made a rookie error! :LOL:

when holding down the button I got the Rx to show green and red (PWM), but in theory, the red should blink when binding - it did not - so I am thinking either I got the sequence wrong, or I am just an idiot! :D

The T16 binds easily to the iA6b so I would have to say the T16 is not broken! :eek:

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - failure followed by success - I have been pulling my hair out as to why the T16 would not bind with the G-RX8 - surely the multiprotocol FRsky unit should talk to the FRsky Rx!

I decided to update the firmware for both the T16 (to v2.3) and the latest firmware for the Rx - downloading the firmware for both was easy and I put them onto the SD card via USB - I held my breath and hit go, the T16 updated in 20 seconds - next the Rx, I needed to rearrange the order of the wires from the Rx cable (swapped red and black) onto the multiprotocol connector (well documented on youtube) and the Rx updated it's firmware too! :D

Sadly although the Tx and Rx were updated I could not bind the two! :(

The Tx should definitely be on D16 for this Rx and although I could get it into PWM mode, nobody was home!

after dinner, I had an epiphany - I selected Multi/FRsky/D16 and kapow it is binding now - Previously I was selecting D16 from the main menu rather than from the submenu - I wonder if selecting from the main menu is for the Taranis on their internal setting - just don't know! :confused:

I will sleep better now!

IMG_7133.jpg
IMG_7134.jpg

FDS

Elite member
Yeah, and there’s no decent info on that stuff on the web. A how to video series for the T16 is hugely lacking, one that tackles the really basic stuff like this through to common fixed wing mixes.